I had a problem. My wife was diagnosed having Guillain-Barré Syndrome, after 1 year recovery, my mistake, I had her pregnant. We are afraid some bad things would appear. Is it okay to have a baby (having a pregnancy) after 1 year recovery of I have to decide to give up our 1 month pregnancy to save my wife's life? I need information and help about this.

My wife is recovering from GBS. We were planning to start a family before this happened. It had devastated our lives! I too, would like to know if it is okay to plan again or how long we wait or if it is possible!

I had GBS almost two years ago. I have had two pregnancy ending in early miscarriage. I am going through different test now to try to see whats going on. I'm worried that the treatments and the illness have something to do with it. I will let you know if having guillain barre has any risk in pregnancy.

I too have wondered if there are any risks on pregnancy. I had GBS when I was 4 yrs old. At the age of 20 my first pregnancy I misscarried, 2nd pregnancy went into labor at 7 months delivered three weeks early,
3rd pregnancy went into labor at 6 months delivered four weeks early, and my last and final pregnancy had complications from 13 weeks on....delivered 2 months early.

ROEDY wrote:

my sister was diagnosed with several things relating to her immune system attacking her body and without much confirmation the doctors diagnosed her with GBS. this started in 2007 and came to an end in terms of treatment in mid 2008. she is now 3months pregnant and test show that the bab might have down syndrome. could this be related to her illness. with this increase the chances of her baby being severely affected? should she see the pregrancy to the end and could it be harmful to her life?

I am so suprised at the post from different people who have been affected by GBS. I had GBS when I was 13 and I am now 25. I have had no symptoms since. I don't even regulary tell my physicians about it. Nor have I had any nuerologist check on me. I have often wondered about GBS and pregnancy. It has been my worst fear that it would somehow affect me getting pregnant. Does anyone know what kind of dr I should consult for this, OBGYN, Nuerologist, etc....thanks for your help. I am so sorry to anyone who is still affected by GBS. Prayers are with you!

I had gbs 1 year to the day after the birth of my 2nd child (at 22) and the doctors strictly forbade me from getting pregnant again. My hubby got snipped 2 yrs later (at 24) and I had a relapse at 25. Well surprise surprise, I got pregnant this year!! (and had a miscarriage at 8 wks) They are not happy about it. I continue to be followed by a neurologist due to some minor nerve damage, and take some meds for tremors. They said that since it IS an autoimmune, that it can reactivate in pregnancy due to the foregin body. Pregnancy comes under that category of vaccinations and flu shots that we need to avoid at all costs. It is a horrible thing for me to have to say, because I KNOW it's true, but I SO desparately want another baby of my own. It classifies us as UNADVISABLE to carry a pregnancy. That dosen't mean you can't get pregnant. But your Immune system is permanently wonky, and it may turn on you or the baby at any point. If you are pregnant, and have had GBS, see a high risk OB/GYN ASAP!!!! IF not, consider adoption, a surrogate, ect. It sucks, but that's life. At least we are alive.

I am a midwife student who is following through a lady who is two years recovered from GBS. She is currently 27 weeks pregnant and everything seems ok so far. Doctors don't even seem to have taken her previous GBS into consideration. They are more worried about her previous myomectomy.

my friend had GBS 21 years ago and was pregnant when they discovered it. Aside from having no feeling and her husband and mom having to push her forward to push, she had no problems with her delivery or pregnancy. She never regained her feeling over the years and had another child 8 years ago. ( same thing with the pushing ) She just had another baby this weekend and yet again, the only problem we discovered was that she was not able to push. Most people recover with no further complications, in her case, it is rare that someone takes so long to regain their feeling. To this day, she is still numb from the chest down. She is not paralyzed, has "sensations" but can feel pain. I keep reading about GBS and haven't found anyone who has suffered this long with symptoms. Good luck to you and your wife. I would check with the doc.

Hi there, after having GBS< you can definitely have a baby, but it's good to make sure you consult with your doctor to make sure tehre isn't anything else going on as well. Let me know what your doctor says, okay?

I found out i had gbs august 15 2009...i was 13 weeks pregnant...i stayed in icu for 10 days and high risk maternity for 2 more days totaling 12 days in the hospital. my treatment was ivig which they gave me for 5 days. i am currently 27 weeks and 5 days pregnant with a healthy baby boy. i still suffer for minor nerve issues in to fingers and sometimes my feet, usually when the weather is really bad out. i am due feb 8th 2010. gbs should not affect pregnancy but keep in mind anything is possible. i feel my baby kick and move and turn..its such a blessing. having something like gbs is not only hard on the person them self but family that is around supporting you.. i had to learn how to write walk wash up and use my body strength all over again.

good luck to everyone...

I had GBS when I was 18--at 28 I had my first child--no complications, just no epidural as the docs didnt think that would be a good idea. Now I'm pregnant with #2 and we're 20 weeks in and no issues here. My doctors never thought the GBS would have any bad effects on being able to carry to term and so far, they've been right. My first son was born and is just perfect :-D

I've also been diagnosed with GBS. I was diagnosed with it a year ago as well. I'm going on 27 weeks in my pregnancy, and my baby boy is very healthy. I've just been concerned with getting an epidural.

Hi there, I had GBS when I was 18 months old and 6 years old. The doctors believe it was after after tet jabs. Since then i've had no symptoms and my electrical tests show no left over results. However, i've just had a miscarriage at 6 weeks and worried it might have something to do with my GBS. Has anyone had a good doctor give them advice on this? My doctors don't seem to know much. Thanks

I had Guillain-Barre at the age of 15 and my mother had it at the age of 10. My mother had 3 successful pregnancies. The only problem she had was during the last delivery with twins, one was breech and she was forced to have an emergency C-section but this was not related to the GBS. Also, the doctor told her she was not allowed to have an epidural for fear that the GBS would return. My husband and I are currently TTC and there has been nothing said to me about having any problems bc of my GBS. Also, my mother's GBS went to her neck and mine only went to my knees, but we both made full and complete recoveries (: