The number of women whoa re wishing to take epidurals during birth delivery is constantly increasing. About 20% of women in UK ask for it although the only thing it does is relieve pain but also brings risks as well

In private maternity hospitals, an epidural costs £500. Midwives find it harder to perform a delivery with epidurals because 40% of women who use epidurals need intervention during childbirth. The intervention may include using forceps to deliver the baby, or even a ventouse pump, which is attached to the baby's head.

Because of this and high prices, midwives asked for deciding on the fee for all the women who want to use epidurals with no specific medical reason but pain reduction. Women who need epidurals should not be charged.

Epidurals are advised to be avoided but the advices don’t seem to have any benefits, so health experts are hoping that these fees will make the women change their minds.

Besides the intervention needed, a woman who takes an epidural faces greater chances of experiencing longer second stage of labour and cases of low blood pressure and being unable to move after delivery have also been reported with epidurals’ use.

Have you ever delivered a baby? Just wondering... :-)

I dont think they have lol or they would not post this.

It seems unethical to try and control medical options with fee fixing. Although I am not a fan of the epidural, for some women it is necessary and helpful. It's a choice women should have. My experience will be different from another woman's. Epidural was not good for me. Furthermore, everything related to medicine carries risk. Chemotherapy certainly does. I know in situations of cancer, it's a choice of damaging your body or saving your life, but there are other choices in those situations too. Medical procedures are the patient's choice and that's the way they should be handled.

Now - that's a difficult one - I agree that too many are too eager to numb any and all pain of delivery - going in PLANNING to have an epidural simply because they do not want to experience pain during delivery.

BUT - it isn't an option that should be removed and put a price-tag on either. All that will result in is the wealthy still able to demand a pain-free delivery and the poor have to suffer through immense pain because they can't afford the fee.

Who get's to decide if it is warranted or not?? I would say the doctor would be the obvious answer - but even then - that would result in discrepancies with the doctors bias towards/against - and basically everyone has different pain thresholds etc - so who's to say this girl can 'handle it' and this one can't?

I was incredibly young when I had my firstborn (17) - he was induced at 2 wks overdue and was a good solid 9lb8 - several hours into contractions I elected for an epidural and to this day I am SO greatful for that technology... it was many hours later that he was born - and yes forceps were required - but I'm of the opinion they would have been required anyway due to the size of his head! (was rather large and mis-shapen). I honestly think I'd have suffered traumatically if it wasn't for the epidural - both emotionally and physically! There is no way I would have been able to have the epidural if there was a substantial fee involved.

I went on to have 3 other children naturally and without the aid of the epidural... but seriously - it needs to remain an option for anyone who NEEDS it - irregardless of affordability.

Guest wrote:

haha yeah i know right! push a watermelon out of a golf ball size hole!!!