Have taken pills for 15 years to treat the symptoms of BPH.

Lately I have been researching Holmium laser ablation and greenLight laser surgeries.

Which is better?

Had a friend get HoLEP and after a week he said he is pee-ing like a race horse. Still has some blood in his urine.

Read some of the reports on this site and seems Green Light has some long term problems.

Appreciate any help!!!!!!

I had PVP outpatient surgery 10 days ago. I had it at 7 am in the morning and was home by 10:30 am the same. They put a catheter in which was to be removed in 24 hours. That was the biggest hassle. I had a burning sensation urinating for about two days afterwards. I have been drinking way more fluids then mormally since operation. After the surgery I relaxed for 4 days(included day of surgery) and went to work for 5 days straight. The first time I urinated after he surgery was an adventure. I have been urinating frequently since the operationalthough less then prior) about ten times a day. Prior to the operation I couldn't sleep more then 4 hours without getting up, right now i am at 6 +. I still have blood in my urine, most of the times if i strain at the end. The doctor said to expect this for 2-3 weeks. I am 54 and have had bph symtoms since early 40's that have worsened. Weak stream is gone right now. I will post in a few weeks if anyone is interested.

bphmike wrote:

I had PVP outpatient surgery 10 days ago. I had it at 7 am in the morning and was home by 10:30 am the same. They put a catheter in which was to be removed in 24 hours. That was the biggest hassle. I had a burning sensation urinating for about two days afterwards. I have been drinking way more fluids then mormally since operation. After the surgery I relaxed for 4 days(included day of surgery) and went to work for 5 days straight. The first time I urinated after he surgery was an adventure. I have been urinating frequently since the operationalthough less then prior) about ten times a day. Prior to the operation I couldn't sleep more then 4 hours without getting up, right now i am at 6 +. I still have blood in my urine, most of the times if i strain at the end. The doctor said to expect this for 2-3 weeks. I am 54 and have had bph symtoms since early 40's that have worsened. Weak stream is gone right now. I will post in a few weeks if anyone is interested.[/quote

I am considering pvp surgery and would like to know how you are managing. I am 67 and have been treating the symptoms of BPH for 20 years. I've been on flomax for six years. I would appreciate any information you can supply about your post-surgery concerns and "adventures". Hang in there!]

If anyone knows of any super experienced HoLEP surgeons I would love some references. I would also like to hear how you are doing now harombay. Are things much better for you now than before the surgery. How long did it take you to totally recover. Are there any side effects: reverse ejaculation or any of the other things I have heard about. Appreciate any info you can give me.

TstJohn,

You can find a list of physicians here:

If you can tell me which area you are in, I might be able to help you narrow your search for the most experienced HoLEP physician in your area.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

anonymous wrote:

I had HOLEP procedure on Aug 25th at the MAYO Clinic in Rochester MN by Dr. Amy Krambeck. Surgery war around 4PM WED 8-25 and
I spent that night in the hospital with a catheter in. Next morning at 5AM they removed the cath and
had me pee on my own a couple times. I was released at 9:30 AM to go home. I peed blood for about 12 days
afterward and have been clear now for 4-5 days. Never had any pain whatsoever and no pain meds except that first night after recovery they
gave me 2 tylenol to "keep ahead of the pain" I never took any more as I didn't need even those first two.
I can't answer to retrograde ejaculation as I was told not to have sex for 6 weeks so I still have about 3 1/2 to go.
and can't wait to try it :-)
I highly recommend DR. Krambeck! She is wonderful, besides that she's a doll! So is her assistant Dr. Moira Drwyer!

anonymous wrote:

anonymous wrote:

and can't wait to try it :-)

I should add that I am 61 yrs old and my prostate was 'gigantic' at 150 grams whereas normal is around 25. They removed 90 grams of tissue from mine!

I am about 70 years old. Had prostate size 150 gram. Had HOLEP at MAYO clinic in Phoenix - Dr. Humphreys.
Same hospital experience as tpls63. Only difference was "no restriction on sexual activity". No pain, clear urine after 10 days. Pee like a horse. Better erection than before. Retrograde ejaculation. Can only recommend it. Seems like MAYO clinics are the most experienced in performing HOLEP's. Approx 120 procedures a year in Phoenix location.

SHE24 wrote:

I am58 years old and had HoLEP performed by Dr. J. Lingeman at Indiana University/Methodist hospital. I believe that Dr.Lingeman brought HoLEP to the U.S. and his nurse says he has done over 2000 of the procedures to date. My experience is similar to what others have reported here. The surgery was on a Friday afternoon, and I had dinner (a real dinner) at 9:00pm that same night. The catheter came out at 4am (painlessly), and I was on my way to a hotel around 10am. I had a Tylenol immediately after recovery, but it was more precautionaly than necessary. The bleeding stopped in about 4-5 days. I cannot say enough nice things about the experience from the Dr., his staff, and the hospital staff. Great care, easy experience, good, kind people.

It has been 2 weeks now, and I still wear a diaper to contain the dripping/leaks, but it IS getting noticeably better. I've had BPH for over 15 years and forgot how nice it is to sleep uninterrupted for over a couple of hours. It has changed my life for the better.

I highly recommend Dr. Lingeman and the team at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

I am a 59 year old physician who suffered from symptoms of prostate enlargement for over 15 years before deciding to undergo a surgical procedure to relieve it. Because my prostate was so large (180 grams) my local urologist in Seattle said that he would have to perform an open prostactectomy. I knew there had to be a less invasive way and so I spent countless hours researching various procedures. Thankfully, I came across HoLEP, although interestingly it was only available at a few places around the country, and not in WA state. I decided to have the procedure done by Dr. James Lingeman at Indiana University, who brought the procedure to this country over 10 years ago after learning how to do it from the originator of the procedure in New Zealand. Dr. Lingeman had published in the medical literature his experience performing HoLEP on 1000 patients with large prostates (150 grams or larger) with excellent results. When I talked to him about it he said he had not done an open prostatectomy for benign prostatic enlargement in many years.

So, I flew to Indianapolis to have the procedure done by him and as others have posted it was a breeze. I arrived there on a Thursday evening and stayed at the hotel next to the hospital. I met him in his clinic on Friday morning at 8:30, was in the operating room by 11:00 AM, and in my hospital room by 1:30 PM. The catheter was removed the next morning and I checked out of the hospital at noon. I spent Sunday night in a motel and flew home Monday early afternoon. I was peeing like a race horse and the expected blood in my urine cleared within a week. It's now been 8 months since I had the procedure and aside from expected retrograde ejaculation it's been great. I only wish I had known about HoLEP years ago as I was quite miserable but did not want to have an open prostactemy if I could avoid it. When I asked Dr. Lingeman why this procedure has not caught on in the US he said that it has a steep learning curve and therefore practicing urologists don't want to take the time to learn it, AND, because there are no high cost disposable items that can be charged to the patient, hospitals don't make much money on it. Interestingly, when I told my local urologist that I had decided to have HoLEP by Dr. Lingeman he said, "That's what I would do if I were you!".

Cedar, I am in a similar position. I have a 130 gram prostate and my local urologist is recommending an open prostatectomy. I live in Florida and, surprisingly, none of the major medical institutions in Florida, including the Florida branches of the Cleveland and Mayo Clinics offer HoLEP. An OP impresses me as a very unelegant and brutal technique, at least compared to HoLEP.

I would be interested to hear your about your experience prior to the surgery in Indianapolis. Did you have to fly to Indianapolis for a "consulation visit and tests" prior to the trip for the surgery?

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester is telling me the high majority of their HoLEP patients are from out of town but they require two trips. They will not allow an evaluation at the Jacksonville Mayo Clinic which is in reasonable driving distance so it is necessary to make two round trips to Rochester.

Make the trips!

Barry wrote:

there are doctors ln south florida.contact lumenis for names

I am just 3 days out of Holep surgery at Mayo in Rochester by Dr Kranbeck. Who by the way appears to be about 40 years old. If that. She trained under the Doctor in Indiana who has done so many of these. The amazing thing to me is the amount of FLOW! As has been described by others, literally like a race horse! Had my catheter in for two days for some reason, awful getting it out but everything functioned just fine. Still have blood of course, and some minimal leaking, but the catheter just came out yesterday! My prostate was only 75 grams or so, but had been taking Meds for several years, tired of that routine. I o expect the retrograde ejaculation, goes with territory I'm afraid.

dusty wrote:

Barry wrote:

Dusty, thanks for the advice. I do not want to use a surgeon in private practice. Although there are certainly some that are very competent, I strongly believe the best probability of a good outcome is to use a surgeon associated with either an academic institution or a large respected facility such as the Mayo Clinic.

If it were not for the fact that the Mayo Clinic offers HoLEP, I would not be considering the technique at all because it apparently has not been widely adopted. The Mayo Clinic has such an outstanding reputation I am willing to put my trust in them. I know the HoLEP procedure is a very difficult technique to master but this cannot explain why so few institutions offer it as there are other difficult techniques that have received wide acceptance.

I am also seriously considering Dr. James Lingeman in Indianapolis (Indiana University) as Indianapolis is a much friendlier location for me due to being significantly closer than Rochester and we have close relatives there. However, Dr. Lingeman apparently has some significant financial ties with Lumenis. That is probably not a real problem but it does raise a big red flag so I will probably default to the Mayo Clinic.