My daughter is 11 years old and I have recently noticed that she has a protruding clitoris. She is yet to attain puberty. She has no health issues and leads a very normal life. 

Should I be worried about the protrusion? Is it ok or normal? Should she undergo any surgery? I am very worried since the time I noticed. Kindly advise.

Health Elite

No, there is no need to worry. Like with the penis, the clitoris can be differently sized. However, are you sure it is her clitoris that you see, or is it maybe her labia minora? How long has she been like this?

It may be that her labia majora are small, so that her clitoris or labia minora are more pronounced. Either way, I would not seek surgery, and certainly not for her clitoris.

It will probably be that as she goes through puberty her genital presentation will change anyway.

Nevertheless, I would 'keep an eye on' the situation, for it does cause some girls concern that they do not have the standard 'text-book' appearance. But there are large variations. If she does worry, assure her that she is not abnormal.

I hope this helps as a start.

That's a bit relieving.. thanks so much for your reply ☺️

Health Elite
PLeased to help.
I don't know where you're from, but take comfort from the fact that it is likely that if anything were seriously wrong, the medical profession would notice, diagnose the problem and recommend treatment. Just avoid any surgery for 'cosmetic' reasons. But from what you have said, everything seems perfectly OK.