New Reply New Topic Followed by 25 people

Help me please  keith

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Oh my gosh... Tell me you have been to the doctors? Of course a doctor would know what that is... I would think it would be circulation, however, I would go to the doctors immediatly... Nothing to mess with!

hi, i also get purple legs and arms and they always go cold, i find it is in the morning when i get out of bed that my legs look normal. I also get red dots under my skin on legs and arms, do you get this too and have you had any other advise

I know exactly what do you refer. I am struggling with purple legs for my whole life. Yes, the purple color of your legs is just one of the signs of the bad blood circulation that you can't ignore. 

You should really visit your doctor, just like I did. Sometimes you won't get much help because sometimes they can't do a lot of things about it.

But you can help yourself as well. You should massage your legs very often, every day. Also, hot bath can help you. 

In so many cases, ECG can show that your heart is in great shape and condition,  but this purple color is still there...

Hi, I have the exact same symtoms as you and the person above. My legs turn purple-ish often when I'm sitting cross-legged or I'm cold. I also get the red bumps under my skin that look like pimples. I'm 15, btw. I have also noticed that this usually goes away in the summer and fall, but comes back every winter. i have a feeling that it has to do with my body temperature. If you find out any more information on this, it would be helpful to respond and mention your age because I heard that age has something to do with it. thanks, and hope I could help. =]

I have the same thing and I went to a cardiologist for an EKG. I was told that everything was ok and my heart is in great shape. There is probably no need to worry. It is very bad for shorts and skirts though. I have found that a tan helps though!

I get the same problem but haven't gone to a doctor about it and don't know if exercise would help or not. I never used to get this problem, but I'm wondering if it's because of an eating disorder I used to have (fully recovered from that, btw), and/or if it's because I don't move around much (five years ago I became a bit of an internet/computer addict and haven't done a lot of physical activities since then). And now that I'm back in California, I won't know what to do when it gets too hot.

I don't have a job right now, so I can't afford to go to the doctor's to get tested or anything, but are there any tips to help this problem (like would exercise help at all? I've been doing small exercises this month but don't do them a lot because of the summer heat). Constantly moving around my legs and arms, rubbing my hands and feet, just to get a normal color to them gets tiring, and I'd like to wear shorts so I don't get overheated in this hot apartment or when I go out in the day. :-P

Wow... I have the same problem as all of you have! I have red (sometimes purplish) legs whenever the legs are put lower than the heart level (I heard this has sth to do with blood circulation) I am 24 now, I've been having this problem for around 10 years already, still hvn't found a solution. Other than that, I do have KP (red bumps due to ingrown hair stuck in hair follicles) as well, which makes matter even worse. I never wear shorts/skirts, and I feel that I'm missing out a big part of my life!! : ( Yes, it gets worse when weather changes, especially when it's colder. I have normal legs when I lie on the bed, they change color soon after I get up. I've done a lot of research on the internet, but nothing works. I really wanted to give up, but then I don't wanna be like this anymore. I don't think any doctor would be able to help on this issue. I thought of seeing a "leg specialist" but never went. Since I don't want to disappoint myself again~sigh~ I thought exercise would help at least a little, I did run a lot for one month, but it didn't really help , they just change their color soon after I'm done running. I think somethings wrong with the blood vessels in the legs, or blood clots? I mean this is the problem, but might not be the source of the problem, I think somethings wrong in my kidneys? (according to a chinese doctor) Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, I'm 14 and have the same sounding condition as ya'll do, and my elder sister has it too. She told me that her dermatologist said that she has a mild skin condition called keratosis pilaris, and to use lotions with glycolic acid. I have ordered some online that will be arriving shortly. You may want to google keratosis pilaris to find out more. Hope this helps!!!

Hi I'm 21 and have had this problem since I was a child but its getting worse- its so embarrassing! My feet and legs go bright red when they are below heart level - which is most of the time because I have to stand all day at work. The only thing that makes them normal looking is elevating my legs. Sometimes its really painfull and my feet really burn and throb. If I wear trousers and pumps everyone comments - strangers on the tube comment that that "sunburn" looks painful! I've looked stuff up on the internet that says its to do with pooling of blood in the feet and may be to do with bad valves that dont push the blood back up properly. (I've also got really low blood pressure) I take loads of ginko biloba but doesnt seem to help - aargh!! does anyone no of any drugs that can strengthen the circulation - hardcore prescription or herbal? or maybe some sort of surgical procedure or injections that could help? help!

Hi, I have the same thing, the purple-ish legs, the red dots, and how it seems to be fine when i lie in bed. I havent been to a doctor about it but someone told me it might be because I have very fair and thin skin. She said it was almost like it was translucent. I wasnt sure if she was right, but either way I couldn't find a solution. This summer, however, when it got warmer I noticed it started going away, and when I got a slight tan it went away completely. I'm sure it will probably be back either when it gets colder or i loose my tan, but in the winter I will see if a spray-on tan might help a little.

oh, and I also have high blood pressure.

I and 53 and started having problems with my legs 20 years ago. I have had swelling of the feet and lower legs, small red spots that will make the skin turn brown and cold feet, and sharp, accute pains and tingleing. My doctor is aware of my condition and put me on Triamterinend, a water pill for the leg swelling. I sit a lot at a computer and do not get any excercise.

Three months ago blood clots in my legs, deep vein thrombosis, traveled from my legs to my lungs causing pulminary embolism that put me in the hospital for eight days. I had to endure Lovenox shots, blood thinner, to my stomach twice a day during that time. My stomach was solid black and blue. I am currently out of the hospital and may be on Coumadin, a blood thinner, for at least a year. Pulminary embolism can kill and this experiance has not been fun. I currently wear compression socks to prevent the swelling in my legs.

The advice the doctors in the hospital gave me was to become much more active since excercise can improve circulation.

Hi there its lizabell - i wrote on this site in july and have since been given a diagnosis for my problem! It took me ages, i went to loads of people - even a vascular surgeon said he'd never seen antthing like it in his entire career!! Eventually he asked a rhumatologist to see me and she diagnosed me with erythromelalgia.
Its a really un heard of thing to lots of doctors so they just fob you off - which is SO frustrating! have a look at the "TEA" website or search the name - this pretty much sounds like what most of you guys have. Really hope this helps some of you and please forward this around on as many sites like this as possible cause - hardly any research is being done into treatment for it even though it seems its probably more common than thought - its just most people dont have a name to put to their problem!!
Good Luck! xx

i just did some research on erythromelalgia, i found that its sth that hurts ur legs but then it doesn't hurt when i hv the symptoms, i only have red/purplish legs when they are cold, or when im standing up. they look perfectly fine when I just got out of bed. I'm not sure if exercise helps, it might help a bit but i dont think it can cure the prob since i think its a blood disorder. :-(