I've been reading a novel called, The Thief Lord, to my class as a read aloud. It's fantastic! I would recommend it to any parent of a 4th grader on up who likes stories with children who live as misfits and find ways to be on their own. There are great twists and surprises that keep everyone wanting to hear more. My students have been begging to stay in at recess for me to get to the end of the book. I highly recommend it. Even adults will like it. Anyone reading anything of great interest or any good recommends for my next read aloud to my students?? :wavey:

hey noley!!

my daughter's fourth grade class read HOLES last year, i swear if she did one discussion packet on that book, she did 10 :umno: she seemed to like that story though.

hey noley!! my daughter's fourth grade class read HOLES last year, i swear if she did one discussion packet on that book, she did 10 :umno: she seemed to like that story though.
My son's class read that too and he liked it as well.

I'll have to see if I have that book in my classroom. The teacher I replaced left me shelves of books. I bet there are a 1000 books there, no kidding.

What kind of story is it?

The Thief Lord is set in Venice, Italy and the children are orphans trying to survive. They have a special bond unlike other children. The "Thief Lord" or leader of the gang...turns out to be a very rich boy and of great wealth.

Let me know about HOLES.

NOT for your students, but certainly an interesting book:

it even tells you why Heavy Metal Bands are just as gay as Boy Bands :wink:

These aren't for 4th grade either, but both are quite good. The Giver by Lois Lowry Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Cornelia Funke has another book called Inkheart that might be appropriate. Haven't read it, though. His Dark Materials may be a little advanced for them. Have you thought about the Narnia books? In the same vein, there is The Hobbit. When i was in 5th Grade, my teacher read Wilson Rawl's Where the Red Fern Grows, and it was probably the most memorable experience of my elementary school years. Very moving book, and it is borderline appropriate to your age group there. Another thought is Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer or A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

Wilson Rawl's Where the Red Fern Grows
I loved that book.

Another thought is Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer or A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
:1: These are excellent. I've read the first AF book and part of #2, and through 5 (of 11, all of which Libby has read--she read #11 in a day) of ASoUE.

Brie, i've read the first Artemis Fowl book and liked it (but didn't love it) and borderline loved the first ASOUE, but haven't read the rest. Could probably put down a couple of those books in a day. I love the tone of them.

We love the tone too. What got me to start reading this at the bookstore to see if Libby might like it was the back cover. "Dear Reader, I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children... It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing." I thought this to be an extremely creative approach. Of course I got hooked, but haven't the time to read anything for pleasure these days. <sigh>. Libby loves them though. Are you going to see the movie with Jim Carey? We cannot wait to see it, though it will be interesting to see how they work out Sunny.

I knew Rob Halford liked leather a little too much. ;)