Alright, I wanted to post my story for those that are suffering with hemorrhoids.  I thought it only fair given the fact that I was reading TONS of people's comments here... so much to the point where I almost cancelled the surgery altogether.

I had 3 external hemorrhoids (he called them "plump").  The doctor told me that he considered this to be a "bad case".  I was no stranger to pain with them, and they would irritate me enough to consider surgery a few times.  Then I'd come back to this site and read so many horror stories that I would convince myself that things just weren't that bad.

You have to understand, I scare easy when it comes to stuff like this... so if you're anything like me... if you're suffering with them right now, I want you to listen to my experience thus far.

I read stories about people saying that the surgery was so awful that they would never do it again.  I don't understand that.  It's not "pain free" but it's surely NOTHING to what people have made it out to be.

Through my fears and constant convincing that I could just live with it, I reluctantly went ahead with the surgery on December 21, 2012. 

To further test my daring, I had all three removed just with a local.  I'm not trying to paint the picture that I'm tough... but to show that we truly have gotten to a point where doctors are able to outpatient this.  That should be comforting.

I won't lie and say that it's completely uncomfortable while they were at work, but any good surgeon will make you comfortable as much as possible while he/she finishes the procedure.  If you go the local route instead of being put under, I have one word of advice.  The needles used to numb you may be the worst part of the entire experience.  It's quick and all, but the pain does get bad there for a short time.  The numbing agent works fast, but yea, take a deep breath there.

It's is now January 1, 2013 (just 11 days later), and I can say that this is still the right decision.  There is pain, some bleeding as you heal, but it's absolutely doable. 

I did a few things to get ready.  My doc told me to get some gauze, sitz bath, stool softeners, and citracel.  I also picked up adult diapers (I know... sounds terrible, but they are much easier to manage as you're healing than wondering if your undies are getting blood on them).

The process my doctor went with was the good ol' fashioned knife and dissolvable stitches.  He said that the laser isn't a bad method, but just more expensive and offers no real clear advantages.  I was in and out of the office in about an hour, and I've been on the mend ever sense.

I wanted to start this topic to be there for others who have read horror stories here.  I was so worked up and worried about this surgery because of reading these stories here that I was willing to continue with the discomfort rather than having them treated.

You don't know me from the next person, but let me give you a few more details.  I've never had stitches before... this was my first operation ever (I'm 36), and I worried about nearly every aspect of the surgery.  I'm glad I did it.  I'm glad they're gone.  I'm glad that I made the decision that I did.

If they are bothering you so much that you're looking up solutions online (and reading my story!), then you need to consider having them removed.  It was the smartest decision I've made... one I absolutely stick by.

The road to healing does take time.  Be patient with yourself and you will be fine.  If I were to make one suggestion that can hopefully help others... my "only" regret... is to take more stool softeners for my first bowel movement.  I'd suggest you asking the doctor for your own specific case, but I was only taking them as recommended by the bottle.  I wish I would have asked my doctor... who told me that I can take as many as I want...as if I take too many, I'll know right away (diarrhea).  See, with the pain killers you get constipation.  Constipation on that area isn't all that amazing... I'll be honest.  So my first few bowel movements were tough... but again.. doable.  Had I known that he said I could take as many as I needed before the first BM, I would have done that to avoid the constipation.  Ask your doctor about that.

Everything else is fairly standard.  If you've read this far... let me assure you.. there is help.  This surgery is not a walk in the park but if you are prepared, calm, and just take it easy, you will be absolutely fine. 

I will keep checking back here from time to time to give you all updates.  Now 11 days later, I'm well on my way to getting back to normal.  There are still sometimes where it's a bit painful, but again... completely manageable. 

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.  While I am certainly not a doctor, nurse, nor even a student studying medicine... I can give you advice from my experience.

Thanks for listening...

Kevin

Hello I had my surgery today,after the surgery I was so hungry n ate almost everytin I cld lay my hand on n now am feeling d pains.am so scared I wld need to BM over night or in d morning.how can I help myself .am scared I wld pass out.

Hey Kevin, are you still around these forums? I'd love to ask you some questions as I'm about 1 1/2 weeks out from my surgery

Sorry for the long delay. I can't say that eating everything in sight after the surgery was maybe the best idea... given the fact that it has to pass right by that area.

And also since it's now so much later, I'm more curious how you got through it than anything else. Personally, I laid off anything super heavy for awhile after the surgery until I knew what to expect.

It wasn't SUPER FUN going... but in no time, you'll be back up to speed. :-)

How are you doing now?

so was there a full recovery kevin ? and how long untill you started doing solid bms ?

Thank you for this - I am having the HAL procedure in Berkshire, UK on Wednesday!

how was the full recovery?