I wish I had found this forum prior to my surgery on Jan 11th. 17 days later, I am almost better but it has been a dreadful recovery. I learned, after I ended up back in hospital for 2 days, that my surgeon had performed this surgery of 2 of us the same day, for internal hemorrhoids, we both had a spinal anesthesia and we both ended up back in emergency on day 3 post op. Coincidence, I think not! I believe the spinal caused me to have bladder urine retention which also put a lot of pressure on my rectum. I could not pee or have a BM although the pain was beyond excrutiating. The surgeon had not allowed me to have either a sitz bath or a warm water bath for fear I would pop my stitches so other than a hot shower to try to get some relief from the pain of not urinating (or urinating in little drabs and dribbles while in the shower) I had to resort to major dosed of morphine to get through the agony. Early morning day 3, I couldn't even pee in the shower so off to emerge I went where they catheterized me for hours, removed the catheter for about 6 hours and then re-inserted it for about another 8 hours because they couls not reduce my swelling. They made me eat, take more pain meds plus Extra strength Tylenol and drink litres and litres of fluids. They gave me stool softeners, Lactulose, Metamucil and Milk of Magnesia and told me that when I went home (now day 5) that I could now go in the warm baths. The surgeon told me to poop in the bathtub because the stitches had done their job and if they popped, no problem anymore. He suggested that infection should not be a problem at this stage and to shower afterwards using a peroxide liquid to help keep my disinfected. He really enforced the idea of taking more meds than before, even though they constipate because of the fear of my rectum closing in on itself. Firm poops are necessary. By days 6, I had my first "real" BM and OH MY GOD I thought I was going to die. I was saying hail Mary's and I'm not even Catholic. Thank goodness I was in the bathtub because I would never have been able to sit down for that and the pain had me sobbing. Funny thing is that I wasn't constipated, I was just exercising my rectal muscles so the spasms that accompanied, were horrific. This I want to die process lasted about 4 days after which time, every day seemed to bring less and less pain. By day 15, I cut out the pain meds but am still taking 1 stool softener a day and the metamucil and drinking enormous amounts of fluids (at least 12 glasses daily) and that seems to make a big difference. I can still barely sit to have a BM and keep a little plastic tub handy in the event the pain is too much to allow me to sit. I'm trying not to worry about the hygene or the appearance of my butt while it's healing. I have a slight sciatica and pressure pain on the bottom of both heels which I maintain has something to do with the spinal having gone wrong somehow. During my recovery after emerge, I also put A535 rub on my lower back due to radiating pain and I used ice packs on my butt to try to keep any swelling down to a minimum. It was a bit tricky to find the balance between hot and cold, eating enough but not too much to permit easier BMs and trying to get past the idea that I am not a wimp. My goal is to drive my car 2 days from now so that I can get back to my on the road sales job, but I confess, I am a bit worried as just the pain from sitting in the passenger seat has been almost unbearable. If I had known before surgery, what I know now, I would NOT have had it done and I am usually good about tolerance to pain. I've had other surgeries and nothing comes close to touching the misery of this one.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had surgery two days ago, and I've been amazed at my recovery. After the first couple of hours in recovery, I've had very little pain. I had no trouble peeing after a few hours. I've had a lot of gas and a small bowel movement, both with little pain. I haven't taken pain meds since 6am yesterday, drove myself to the doctor's office today, and plan on being back at work on Monday.

I hope you have improvement soon.

Wow, reading all the horror stories makes me feel really guilty about my recovery. My story is somewhat different. I currently live in Korea and was unfortunate to develop a hemorrhoid in early January. Pharmacies are on virtually every corner in this country, so I immediately got some Preparation H the first day I noticed it and the pharmacist also gave me some pills. In Korea, any medicine you take is always either 1 or 2 tablets 3 times a day. This particular pill was 2 tablets 3 times a day. Since it was my first occurence I figured after a few days it'd go away. Not so much. I tried another pharmacy and got a different cream and new pills. Over the next 3 weeks I must've visited about 6 or 7 pharmacies and had amassed a wide variety of creams and ointments. I'd use a very generous amount of the creams/ointments at night and before I headed to work the next day.

It'd been about 4 weeks and there was still little, if any progress. I kept doing my research hoping to find new methods of curing the hemorrhoid, and was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to surgery. Finally, just around the 5 week point I was tired of trying and went to a doctor. Finding doctors who can speak English, in any capacity, isn't the easiest task, but a friend told me of one such doctor who could speak it pretty well. I sat down in his office and surprisingly he had a model of the rectum and hemorrhoids sitting right on his desk. I simply pointed to it and he had me lay on the examining table and he inserted his camera, took a few pictures, then broke the bad news to me. I had a prolapsed hemorrhoid and pretty much the only cure was surgery, unless I wanted to wait a very, very long time. Since it is essentially a blood clot it is possible for it to eventually subside and go away, but since the vessels have already been exposed to such conditions, the chances of it happening again are likely.

Never having had surgery of any kind, not to mention living in a foreign country, I was wary of the options. The doctor told me one type of surgery required a 2-3 day stint in the hospital, and that just wasn't a possibility for me. He said another option was pretty much the same surgery and only took half an hour and I could be on my way right after. I was confused by the varying lengths of the recovery times, but opted for the half hour surgery instead. When I asked how soon I could have it done he told me right then. Sure enough, 5 minutes later I was on the operating table and getting the local anesthetic shots, which weren't much fun. The doctor used a laser to help cauterize the blood vessel and to reduce the bleeding, which I think ultimately did a lot of good. The entire procedure literally was just under half an hour. The doctor told me to make sure I use gauze for about 2 weeks after for the bleeding and drainage, gave me a week's worth of 6 different types of pills to take--you guessed it--3 times a day, and to take a warm bath twice a day. I had to come back in a week for a check-up.

As I walked to work immediately after the procedure I was somewhat shocked at how the entire ordeal played out. Still numb from the anesthesia, I thought everything was going to be fine. Cut to later that first night as I lay in bed I realized just how wrong I was. The slightest movement could trigger a shockwave of pain emanating from the wound throughout my whole body. This persisted for the next 2 days, and thankfully it finally got better by the 4th day. Going to the bathroom scared me at first, but surprisingly wasn't all that bad. I had normal BMs, most likely from the concoction of pills I was given and the fact that I forced myself to drink as much water as possible to stay hyrdrated. Eventually, the bleeding and draining became very minimal and around day 7 they had pretty much stopped.

After a week I returned for my check-up and the doctor said the stitches had come out already during a trip to the bathroom and that was normal. He said everything was healing accordingly and gave me a refill on my 7 day supply of medicines, advised to continue taking hot baths for up to one month, and I should be all set.

It's now been 3 weeks and I have to say I've had very little problems since the surgery. I quit using the gauze long ago because I've read that wounds need to stay dry to heal properly, and using the gauze could keep them moist. I understand that gauze are normally able to allow air to flow through, but given the location of where I was using them, there's not much room for air flow. Using the bathroom is no big deal and I don't even have to worry about whether it's going to hurt or making sure I'm sitting properly. Granted, I do sit properly all the time now, just to get into the habit for the future. I get a rare moment where I feel a little pain after using the bathroom and I'm sure it's because the wound is still healing. I've used a mirror and examined the area and see the scar and can feel that it's still a little swollen, which I imagine is normal for any scar tissue; after all, it has only been 21 days. I take a 500mg Ibuprofen a couple times a day just to help with any residual swelling, and for good measure, but that's about it. I assume within the next week or two I should be back to pre-hemorrhoid shape and hope to never experience that again. As I said at the beginning of my post, I feel guilty because my experience, as far as pain is concerned, pales in comparison to what I've read, yet it's still enough to not want it to happen again.

The best advice I can give is to try and stay as positive as you can throughout the whole process. Make sure you discuss with your doctor exactly how they're going to make the incision because that has a big affect on the healing process. I didn't fully understand what my doctor was saying as he drew the diagram of how he was going to make the incision until after the surgery, but I'm grateful he did it the way he did. I'd try to explain, but honestly it's not the easiest to put into words. Any doctor should be able to show you what they plan to do. My diet afterwards, as much as I tried to eat only soft foods, was pretty normal. I generally eat very healthy regardless, lots of salads and vegetables and fruits, so I think that played a role in easing the discomfort during trips to the bathroom. I'm sure one of my many pills was either a fiber or anti-constipation pill, and I made sure to eat a big bowl of my favorite bran cereal each morning. Good luck to anyone who has this surgery.

Guest wrote:

You were very lucky to have had a choice in the whole effort to eradicate your hems. Many have them removed in an emergency situation- like me. I had 3 internal thrombosed hems removed 10/31/08, I had no choice in how it was done. Recovery did not start to occur until Christmas. Pain and swelling was unbelievable. I have had 2 babies with natural child birth and hem removal was 100 times worse. Then came an anal fissure resulting from scarring pressure. Now I am dealing with the pain and bleeding from that. Having said all this I am still glad to be rid of the hems. I would put up with anal fissure 100 times over hems- the pain is worse but it goes away unlike thrombosed hems. My only advice to anyone considering this surgery for internal hems is to get going on Metamucil twice a day, benefiber 2 times a day and lots of water in addition to fiber in your diet. You cannot have too much fiber. Stay away from the stimulants if you can like Miralax as they make you go too much and that creates other problems ( like anal fissures) Still I would have them removed again if I had to but I would be much better prepared with diet and expectations~ allow 2 months before you feel better. Hope this helps someone out there considering surgery...

My first 2 days post surgery wasn’t too bad. I was originally supposed to have 3 internal hemorrhoids removed but ended up with 5 hemroidetal complexes excised. I had general anesthesia, not spinal. I was placed on Norco and Colace. I had my first BM on day 3. Norco constipated me but really helped with the pain. Therefore, I am only taking Norco at night or after a BM for pain control. For daytime pain I take Tylenol.
This is not a fun experience. I have tremendous pain with each BM( almost to the point of passing out). I have urinary retention that started after my first BM. I am now on flomax. I feel as though I constantly have to have a BM. I wear my wife’s female pads because I still have blood, mucus, and serous fluid leakage. I was supposed to have 7 days off of work and I am not asking for 11 days off total. I was told that by the end of my first week I could return to work with “light duties” pending how I felt. I don’t think that will be happening. When or has your urinary function returned to normal?

spinecareguy wrote:

I ended up with a UTI due to 3 catheterizations post op, which did not find the bladder, so I was sent home with a full bladder anyway. The only way I found relief was to urinate in the bathtub...gross as it sounds. I was able to urinate normally after 5days. I also had general anesthesia. I am 4 months post op and find I can manage post BM pain with Ibuprofen. I still have a bottle of 60 vicodin for use just in case I have a relapse.

I could not have gone back to work for 1 month~ my bathroom visits were so unpredictable, so thankfully I was able to work from home.
Fiber and water are key to making sure you heal properly. Even one day of not enough fiber will create major problems as you heal.

Good luck.