New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

At least ur recovering. I'm also 15 and I've been in pain for 9 months they just finally figured it out. Havnr even got the surgery yet

Hi, I am try8ing to find information out about the fastciotomy for lower leg compartment syndrome. In your comment you wrote that you were writing a blog about your experience. Please is it possible to have the link to your blog?
Kind regards

I have too. If you figure out what the problem is. Please post!

did you have any feeling in your ankle afterward

I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome in 2012 i had a fasciotomy on both legs in the anterior compartments in 2014. I then began running 6 weeks after my surgery and played a season of rugby league in 2015. By mid 2015 my symptoms had returned, not quite as bad as i could continue running just not over long distances. i ended up having a second release to both legs in november 2015 in my anterior compartments again. Once again my symptoms were resolved for a short period of time until the tightness and constant dull ache returned.

I then returned to my surgeon complaining of tightness and constant aching in my legs. I was then diagnosed with popliteal entrapment syndrome and had my right artery released. This was successful but did not rid me of my symptons whatsoever. Since my popliteal release i have have many tests and scans done and my specialist has suggested a fasciectomy, a full length incision removing a strip of fascia and ridding of scar tissue from previous operations. Any information on fasciectomies would be greatly appreciated as i am stuck as to what to do and whether a fasciectomy is the right path to take.
My current symptoms are tightness in my legs, swellinng, constant dull aching and my ankles get swollen after a period of time.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much...

I can sure relate. I had emergency fasciotomy after laying on one side for three days following a stroke. I have been in severe pain for the 18 months since and it just sucks. Oxy is the only drug that seems to help but I was cut off after six months as my doctor feared I may become addicted. I am now on Gabbapentin which only helps a little. I recently had a spinal stimulator surgery to reduce the pain and even that hasn't worked as hoped. Maybe I will try med mj

Peter

I just had a four compartment release on both legs nine days ago. I had complications as soon as I came home with the right leg due to swelling and internal bleeding. Rushed back in to surgery, they found an artery that reputed. They left the compartment incision open for 24 hours then closed the incision.

I struggle to get up and walk. I use crutches and a walker for assistance. Swelling is still evident in both legs.

My big question is, when does the swelling and pain subside where I can walk without assistance? Everyone is different so I fully expect many different replies on this.

I was misdiagnosed for 20 years in the military. I ran in pain for 13 years while on active duty, but got to retirement. The pain has gotten worse where walking became painful. I fully welcome the procedure done and expect this to be a slow painful recovery. I know my running days are behind me and at the age of 45, I just want to walk with my family without pain.

Would love to hear anyone's recovery from pain and assistance.

I had a facotomy about a year and a half ago, when I train now my calf muscle becomes extremely tight and feels like compartment syndrome. If I stop running for a few seconds it seems to lighten up...
Only advice I have is work through it because it's not going away anytime soon

Can you get to Annapolis Maryland? I hope you can.
Dr. Rue there is the best in the country.
They have a building to stay in for free at the hospital the night before surgery...

My son's took 6 weeks or so. You had a complication so expect 8-10 weeks? I'm not a doctor so I can't be sure, but I'll pray for you...

My son's also in the military. He had four compartments done also. He's able to run again.
Follow your doctor's advice on recovery to a tee.
Drink V8 daily if you can. You need all the vitamins you can get to heal.
Don't drink protein mixes or supplements, they contain creatine which leads to Compartment Syndrome.
Thank you for serving our country!!!

i had compartment syndrome for 30 years before being diagnosed. I had fasciotomies in both legs 4 years ago. It took about 3 months to heal the left leg, but the right leg began to have pain right away, although it took a year for them to admit it was still compartment syndrome and this time they did a fasciectomy. That took about 4 to 5 months to heal, but part of that was due to a MRSA infection. Now 3 years later, I am having pain in my right leg again. If tthey need to open it up, I will need skin grafts.

I'm going through the same had it done 15mobth ago still hurts every day
But can now walk 10 mile
Cycle play golf etc
The swelling won't go though
My go says to cut my graft out and re stitch tighter
Any ideas anyone pkease

I was diagnosed with cs in 1999 while in the marines. I have never had surgery. Now all these years later I basically can't do much. Its pretty much dibilutating.

I had acute compartment syndrome last year after complications from a surgery almost took my life and limb. Amount of blood lost, caused blood clots which then caused the compartment syndrome. They had to go so deep and removed so much muscle, tissue and my fascia... that it paralyzed my leg. 17 months later, after trying everything from physical therapy to acupuncture... i had severe increased pain but because my leg is paralyzed, all i feel is overactive nerve pain... until the pain got sooo bad and i had increased swelling for months and months. My wound care doctor just brushed it off as if it was just due to the wound which had not closed yet. I felt that this unbearable pain was something more. I went to ER and insisted on a MRI which showed i had very very severe osteomyelitis, a bone infection that had taken over my tibia. Had to have surgery urgently but the surgeon was set to be out of town that weekend, so we scheduled it for Monday ... 2 days before surgery, I fractured my lower tibia while trying to wear a pair of pants... that's how much the bone had deteriorated. I'm suffering constantly for the mistakes of doctors. Please go get him checked to rule out osteomyelitis. It doesn't show up in bloodwork or ultrasounds! It's a silent limb killer! I hope this helps