New Reply New Topic Followed by 29 people

This post is an extension of the

Hemorrhoid Surgery Recovery Time thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I had read all the various pages in this continuing thread and found myself becoming more and more nervous reading most of what I would consider horror stories.

I wasnt looking forward to surgery, but the decision was taken from me when I developed two thrombosed hemorrhoids after a bowel movement this past Monday. I checked myself into the hospital the next day because the pain was nearly impossible to deal with. Ive never felt anything so awful in my life. I ended up seeing a surgeon that works on issues with veins and swelling. He took one look at me, said oh my god, and said I needed to have surgery that day. Three hours later I was being cut up and my problem removed.

I was kept in the hospital for three days after the surgery because I had lost a lot of blood before and during the surgery, and the pain from the procedure was extreme due to me having worse thrombosed hemorrhoids than most.

I finally came home yesterday on Friday and things are going as I kind of expected after reading a lot of the stuff here. The doctor prescribed me Percoset which definately works, but Im still always in pain even if its lessened a bit.

It is not easy to pee at all. The pain from my rear makes it nearly impossible to relax enough to pee. I really have to concentrate and try to get anything out. I am drinking a pretty good amount of water though to keep up my strength since being like this is very draining.

I dont really have any appetite and havent since the day before the surgery so Ive barely ate the last five days. Its a combination of lots of pain making me not hungry and nervousness about having a bowel movement. If my thrombosed hemorrhoids were so bad Im sure my bowel movement is going to be extremely unpleasant too. I dont mind letting this heal up a bit before I go down that road considering passing gas makes me curl up in pain.

I still have a pretty good amount of bleeding and discharge from my rear. The hospital gave me a small supply of pads and I bought some male absorbant underwear and heavy absorbtion maxi pads while I wonder how long Im going to be oozing like this.

I get in the tub one to two times a day to soak and then apply something similar to Preparation H ointment that the hospital gave me, but stronger. Its called Dibucaine. I have a pretty good supply of Percoset and a smaller supply of stool softener. I also take Metamucil each night and Milk of Magnesia.

The doctor pretty much said i could go back to my normal diet right after the surgery and he wanted me to have a bowel movement every day. I just looked at him in horror thinking about eating all kinds of junk food after this kind of surgery. I told him Id stick with high fiber food, especially Fiber One cereal. The problem of course is I havent really had any appetite to eat yet which Im hoping will return after the pain and swelling becomes a little better.

The doctor wants to see me in two weeks for a check up and has already told me that I may need to have my insides stapled in a second procedure. Definately not something to look forward to.

After reading all the stories from everyone else and having my own surgery I do have a couple of thoughts. I think that many of the stories where everything went fine are probably from hemorrhoids not as serious as many others. This is not all going to go fine if you really have a serious problem, but my other thought is that this was still worth it. Yes Im in pain, I cant do much of anything, I havent ate, its keeping me out of work for who knows how long, and did i mention pain because it really freaking hurts, but its still worth it to take care of all of this so I can live a normal life again without having to worry about any of this. I will go through this pain now to be free later. I dont agree that you should avoid these procedures at all costs. If you want to suffer for years than yes go avoid this, but if you want this to go away then you need to take the necessary step. Its not enjoyable, but how could the problems I was having for years be better?

Find a good surgeon, follow what they say as best as you can, and things do slowly improve over time. I can already see myself improving little by little since 5 days ago. I hope it continues this way without complications. If you are having problems take care of them and dont wait or be terrified reading all the stories of people saying they would have never done this if they had the chance. You need to do the right thing.

I'll check back as the days go by and report how things are going.

Since I posted last I had my first bowel movement about an hour ago. I didnt have to go much considering I havent ate much, but it still wasnt as painful as I was expecting it to be. I definately jumped in the tub of very hot water the second I was done because the feeling of absolute discomfort was the same intensity as the pain.

The night before I took Metamucil, a stool softener, and milk of magnesia, which was the first time I took them all to produce a bowel movement. It definately works. My suggestion to others dreading their first bowel movement is to eat light at first, and when you do eat heavy fiber foods, like Fiber One cereal. Give your bowels a few days to heal if you can, and when you think that bowel movement might be coming make sure your on your pain medication. I guarantee you the pain for me would have been a lot worse if I had not taken the pain meds a hour earlier and had not waited 4 days from the surgery to have my first bowel movement.

The downside of course is you cant have heavy straining or you may tear the area or make your problems worse so be careful however you approach this.

The amount of bleeding and discharge coming out of me me after four days is still pretty large which is bothering me because I wonder when it will really start to go away.

Till next time!

Well its been officially a week since I had my surgery and I feel better in some ways and feel like Im not healing as much as I should be in others.

I still dont eat like I used to, and right now Im mostly eating high fiber foods. This whole process just doesnt leave you with much of an appetite.

I have been having a bowel movement every day, and they still are not at all fun though its becoming bearable. I do that as fast as I can and jump right into the bathtub of really hot water. About 15 minutes later I finally feel a little better.

Im still swollen up quite a bit back there which makes me nervous because I was hoping I would be doing a little better after one week. Usually the point of these surgeries is to make all this go away, though I had some of the worst thrombosed hemorrhoids the doctor had ever seen so maybe I shouldnt expect to be too healed yet.

Bleeding is still an issue and that bothers me more than anything because its still a pretty good amount. I am wearing male throw away absorbant underwear and also have a maxi pad inside of that. I do see the bleeding/oozing going down slightly day to day, but when does this stop being an issue? I definately expected better than this after a week.

Pain in general is still going down each day and is the most noticeable and positive part of all of this. The 2.5 days after the server I was on a painkiller called Dilaudid that was injected into me every few hours. That was great stuff until I stopped using it. Its apparantly much stronger than morphine so when you stop taking it you get nauseous and sick from the after effects. The first 2.5 days at home since the surgery I was taking Percocet literally every three to four hours because I couldnt stand the pain. I wanted to take less, but I couldnt deal with the pain and of course this medication hardens your stool. By Monday I found I didnt need to take the painkillers as much, Tuesday and Wednesday have been a little less each day too. I just make sure when I think the bowel movement is coming I definately take some before I go.

When I got out of the hospital I was given a stool softener, Colace, was told to take Milk of Magnesia, and also I take Metamucil each night before bed. It took me four day from when I had surgery to finally have a bowel movement, and since then Ive stopped the Milk of Magnesia because the combination of it all is making me not have solid stool. Im also eating high fiber foods right now too. Its definately important to have a bowel movement every day if possible, but be careful with all the combinations of stuff that you can take.

Peeing is definately not normal for me even after a week. Its ususally easier for me to go when Im lying down and relaxed. I would strongly suggest getting a pee bottle from the doctor or hospital. If you wait to go standing or sitting over the toilet you never will. I arely can standing up and when I do my body is telling me it really wants to go. Something big I noticed after the surgery is I rarely get the urge to go anymore no matter how much I drink. Usually when you wake up in the morning you always have that feeling like you have to go. Lately I dont at all. Ive been able to go, but there have been a few days when it took a lot of time and effort.

Here are a few other thoughts after reading some more messages and questions from others.

1. Some people mentioned spasms. I started getting them a little right after the surgery, but really had them day 3 to about 5. The second I would start to relax my backside would seize up which felt like I was getting electrocuted for a second. Yes its normal and part of the healing process.

2. Sleep is not something you should expect much of unless they are also putting you on some kind of medication for it. I was only able to sleep a hour or two here and there the first four days after surgery. It gets easier once your day to day pain goes down a bit. The spasms from your backside keep waking you up too. Sometimes the pain medication helps and sometimes it doesnt. Dont know why it works that way , but it does.

3. Sitz Bath's are definately a must, but I would not recomment doing the one that hospital wants to see which is using that little bowel that goes over the toilet. They had me try that about a day and a half after my surgery and it was beyond unpleasant. It just felt like pressure and that everything was going to come out of my rearend. I could only do it for 5 minutes and then I told them I would not till I could go home and sit in my own bathtub. Those baths are great and I definately recommend doing them twice a day at the least. You will feel better. In addition to baths I would add on to that a good heating pad. I sit on one or lay on one while Im awake and I think that has helped the pain go away even faster. Its sort of like a smaller version of a sitz bath in its own way. The heat just helps.

4. Drink ridiculous amounts of water. Get gallons of bottled water from the grocery store and stick them in areas of the house that you frequent so you always have one nearby. Bedroom, bathrooms, computer room, next to the couch, etc.

Thats all for now!

Hey guys,

I really think it all depends on how big your hemorrhoids are/were and the state in which they were. I had a hemorrhoidectomy ten days ago and am recovering well. I had one prolapsed hemorrhoid removed and two internal ones that were banded.

Some people have described that in the US (I'm living in Spain at the moment) this is a outpatient procedure and doctors don't give you much of information/medication. Here it is different - it is seen as a surgery, in which you stay in the hospital for 24 to 48 hours after surgery. I had an epidural anesthesia plus something to sleep and my surgery was made with laser.

I followed some advice from TexasChic (in this same thread, some 100 replies ago) and I do have to thank her for all her advice, it was WONDERFUL. I'll try to give you my recommendations to all of you who wish to have the least unpleasant recovery (most of them are the same as hers):

- be aware that this is a SURGERY, not a walk in the park. It will hurt and I think that just facing this makes you stronger to what may come;

- TRY TO CHANGE YOUR DIET AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. By changing your diet I mean having a diet full of fruit and veg, laying low on the oil, staying away as much as you can from fried stuff and sweets and changing your habits towards carbs. The more wholemeal you can do, the better. Go for Fiber One cereal or similars, wholemeal bread, brown rice, the works. This is best done BEFORE surgery - simply because your body will become used to eating healthily and you will pass stool more easily. This is an advantage - I'm sure you can see why. :)

- DO TRY TO EAT AFTER SURGERY. Don't be afraid of passing stool because, if you eat just a tiny amount and then don't eat for a very long time, that "tiny" little amount of food will stay inside for a long time, becoming a very hard stool. And it will have to come out - and I guess you can visualise the problem...

- LOOK EVERYWHERE FOR MEDICATION. I bought lidocaine paste to put on the area some 10 minutes before going to the loo to numb it a little bit - it does work wonders! My list of medication would be:

* lidocaine paste: to apply in the area to numb it before passing stool;
* milk of magnesia: to softnen your stool;
* some mild laxative: go for mild first, if you need stronger than increase it. You also don't want diarrhea, trust me.
* some type of solluble fiber: I had psyllium fiber and it worked wonders. I'm sure you can find this in any store that sells natural products.
* pain and anti-inflammatory medication: I had three different types of meds
- Voltaren (generic name: diclofenac) for anti-inflammatory purposes;
- Ibuprofen (for pain and inflammation);
- and Nolotil (my translation - dunno if it's right: magnesium metamizol) for pain, fever and spasms.

Look for similar medication that you can buy. Alternatively, ask for your doctor to prescribe some of those. I'm sure if you ask him nicely and tell him that the pain is unbearable, he will do so.

Last, but not least: ASK FOR HELP!!! People that are around you don't know what you're going through. Try to explain that the pain is big and you will need help for EVERYTHING. This will make them help around the house, cook and do other stuff.

You can do it! It'll pass - just think about this. :)

Just had my hemorrhoids surgery on 3/6/09. My doctors told me the recovery time will be 10 tp 14 days. He said I can go back to my regular activities after those days. It doesn't look like I can do anything as of right now. I am like a vegetable. I'm on day 6 and still in pain. I'm taking vicoden, ibuprofen, and stool softer. I only had 2 bm so far and the pain is unbearable. If I knew the recovery time was longer and the pain is unbearable, I would of not had the surgery. I am not as tough as all of you.

During my bad days I imagine what it will be like two months from now, six months from now. What it will be like to be normal again. Not having to worry about my next bowel movement, or not being at home when I have it. Not having a fear of going out and enjoying my life because of my problem, and not wanting to deal with it somewhere else. Bleeding too much. Having to push my hemorrhoids back in. The list goes on. Imagine what it will feel like to not have to deal with any of that anymore, and how much happier you will be. You go through the pain now so you can get rid of a big problem and live a better life later.

Its now been almost two weeks since my surgery.

If I look at the last two weeks as a whole I can definately see that Ive improved, but its not always easy to see that from day to day.

The pain has become more of a dull sense in the background along with the discomfort of the whole thing during most of the day. The only exception to this is when I use the bathroom. It still is pretty uncomfortable, and I have to sit in a bathtub of hot water for at least 45 minutes afterwards.

I still have some swelling and Im still seeing some discharge and blood that is always coming out of me. Both of these things have improved, but I wish they were improving faster. At my checkup with the doctor two days ago, he was happy with my progress and said I will have these issues for a little while because of how bad my problem was.

Ive mostly taken myself off all the medication I was on. I take one Percocet before I go to the bathroom, and thats about it. I still use a cream called Dibucaine on myself every day. The pain isnt enough to need to use more meds, and its best to get off of them as much as you can.

Im still eating mostly high fiber foods. The doctor doesnt really care what what I eat and hasent since my surgery, but I really care since Im the one that has to have the not so fun bowel movements. I'll stay on a fiber heavy diet for now. Mostly that means eating a lot of Fiber One products. Various cereals, yogurts, and even pop tarts. I also eat sandwiches using fiber heavy wheat bread. Occasionally I'll eat other things, but thats not normal right now. My appetite still is less than it was before the surgery. For some reason Im just not that hungry much of the time. Ive also lost betwweek 10 and 15 pounds the last couple of weeks.

My activity levels are returning to normal little by little, except for the first couple of hours after a bowel movement. Ive done some cleaning around the house, went grocery shopping, and went to Best Buy once just to see how it went. Its not bad as long as I take my time and do things at my own pace. What I did notice is that I start to feel a lot more discomfort and some more pain after Im up consistently about 45 minutes to an hour.

I still havent gone back to work and that has me on edge a bit. Luckily Im in a position where I can fairly easily take the time that I need, but being gone a long time really does nothing good for me. Im using up vacation weeks right now, so far two, and have told them I will be out about a month. The funny thing with doctors is they are quick to tell people they can go back to work. If you have a broken leg no propblem, just work on crutches. You had hemorrhoid surgery? No problem just sit around all day at work. Unfortunately for me work equals being very active and running around a lot so going back to work even after two weeks is not a good option, and thats not even counting how miserable I would be if I had to use the bathroom while I was there. I just dont see how I can realistically work in a job that requires you to be active even feeling as I do now, which honestly isnt too bad.

The doctor wants to see me in two more weeks. He says the swelling will continue to go down. Eventually a few things could happen. The swelling could go down completely since he cut out all the worst parts, but i dont see that happening if my probelm was that bad. The swelling could go down till theres very little left and he will remove whats left, or he may decide to do a stapled hemorrhoidectomy to make sure this problem goes away and stays away. Im definately not looking forward to more surgery.

Hopefully this helps you all a bit when it comes to giving you a idea how this progresses or whether you should have the surgery at all. As Ive said in my other posts, its worth doing it even with all the complications and the pain. I was stupid and let my problem become worse for years because I was afraid to have surgery, and the end result was being in the worst pain of my life and having to go to the emergency room one day and being operated on two hours later. Take care of it before your problem becomes unmanageable physically and mentally. There is nothing positive about hemorrhoids or the procedures to remove them, except that once its all over with you can go back to living a normal life.

I will update you all again soon!

Hi-
I've read alot of posts on here just before and since my surgery on 3/13/09. I'm a 49 yr old female with 2 teenage sons. Had skin tags as a results of hems since my first son. Not painful, but an annoyance. 2 weeks before surgery I started having some pain and little bleeding with a BM so went to see Dr. Had a hemi just inside the anal opening removed and the skin tags removed. Pain now starting to lessen a week later using hydrocodone and ibruprofen every 4 hrs. sitz baths w/epsom salts, stool softeners at each meal, and a teaspoon of metamucil daily along with stool softening diet helped me with BMs. I've passed 5 starting 2 days after surgery(sometimes 2 on same day). Went driving a little today using a soft pillow and sitting a little sideways for comfort. I've also been using Neosporin w/pain reliever, desitin, hem.pads with witch hazel, prepH with vitaminE and aloe alternatively on the site. I do have kidney bean sized swelling on 1 side and pea size on the other. Dr's office said this was normal and can take several weeks to shrink. Good luck to all of you who have had this surgery with your recovery - it's time to pamper yourselves.

Well its now been just under one month.

I would say Im feeling about 80% normal now. I still have my off days and I really dont know when those will be till after i use the bathroom. The bleeding has mostly stopped, but I still have a little smelly leakage coming out of me. Im hoping that will go away. I still have some swelling though its gone down slowly since the surgery. Theres one area that doesnt seem to want to go down without a fight and thats whats causing the issues that I still have today.

I ended up getting a minor thrombosed hemorrhoid for about 5 days recently and then it went away. The surgeon said that may happen occasionally, but Im limiting that and helping the healing process if I continue to take hot baths which I do twice a day.

I dont really use the painkillers anymore though I still take Motrin occasionally and I still use the cream on the rear that the doctor prescribed for me. Metamucil is a regular part of my diet and the rest of my eating habits have slowly gone back to normal though Im eating more fiber than I used to. The only difference is I still eat less now than i did before the surgery.

Ive been out of work for a month and Im heading in tomorrow for my first day back. For the first week im going to take it easy and only work 3-4 hours a day. Im a little nervous about going back because at home I can do everything at my own pace, including have bowel movements when my body is really ready to. Work always throws a monkeywrench in all of that because I work all kinds of different hours so theres not a lot of regularity which isnt going to do anything good for me.

I feel like the healing process for this is the same as watching pain dry. I dont know how long it should take, I dont always know whats normal, and when I have a bad day it makes me uncomfortable that the problem may not be completely going away. The surgeon that I had did a great job with the procedue, but Ive had two follow up visits, and at todays visit he asked me if i was doing better than the last visit. I said yes and told him some details of concerns that I had. He said it would take time because my problem was so bad, but im healing normally, and I dont have to come back and see him unless the problem doesnt go away completely or becomes worse. Then I will have to have another surgery. He walked out of the room and left me sitting there. he never even checked to see how I looked. It was a waste of a 30 minute drive to his office just so he can spend 4 minutes with me and do pretty much nothing. Im not happy about that. recovering from this is not fun. Its hard to live a normal life and work so Id like the doctors to be willing to spend a little more time explaining things and listening to what I have to say, instead of running out of the room. I personally think I will have another surgery at some point because I just dont see part of this going away completely. The way I look at it get this over with now, not later.

I'll see how returning to work goes. The healing is slow and its hard to see from day to day, but from week to week I definately see a difference. I still wait for the day Im completely back to normal and not having any of the problems that have plagued me for years.

I also visited my surgeon for a 3month followup recently and was unhappy with the outcome. I was still having swelling and residual pain after going to the bathroom, usually 2-3 hours of pain. He took a quick look and said very matter of factly- You have an anal fissure now and we may have to do more surgery to correct that. I don't think so. I had called his office several times during that 3 month period and all they said was increase your fiber. Well, I think all that extra fiber created the fissure. I am now on 1/2 of the fiber I was taking and feel I am about 75% back to normal. I am getting a second opinion on the anal fissure next week. I also asked my surgeon if I could get a valium presrip to relax the muscles down there but he said no, I would have to talk to my internist...who would have to see me and I would have to explain the whole thing all over again. I really thought a short term presrip for Valium was not too much to ask and the fissure could have been turned around in 1month in stead of 2. I am happy to be rid of the hems though, I can't believe how my quality of life had been affected by their presence. The crazy thing about this medical problem is the inability to explain to people what I have been through. It truly is an ailment that must be suffered in silence. Someone should write a book on it, it is a horrible thing.

Its been 1 week since my surgury. I have never experience a pain like this. I have been doing everything my dr says, ie. fiber, stool softeners, etc.
My dr said it would be 1-2 weeks for recovery. At 1 week out, I am not bad except for my bowel movement. When I have a BM, it is seriously the worst pain imaginable. I have to jump into a hot bath and just lay in pain for roughly 20 mins. Usually after an hr from my BM I am back to normal.

Is this what everyone else is experiencing? If it wasnt for the BMs, would you feel close to normal?

Have you tried Ibuprofen? I also had terrible pain for 2 weeks post op. My one saving grace was the ibuprofen round the clock, taken in between doses of Percocet. My bathroom visits were so unpredictable that I really had to make sure I was on painkillers all the time for 3 weeks then I weaned off the percocet and was on ibuprofen alone( 600 mg each dose) just make sure you take food with the ibuprofen.
Drink alot of water and if you have not already try the Metamucil powder drink~ I tried everything that was a real help over the stool softeners.

Hope this helps.

I have read all the posts from 06 to now. My husband had this surgery few days ago and I am so glad that I had read ALL the posts. A few things that somehow got lost in the shuffle of posts are these tips:

1)Omega fish oil helps pass BM's easier by adding a little oil into the mix.
2)Drink prune juice! I know it is gross but all the stool softeners and fiber drinks in the world wasn't going to get my husband to have a BM. A medium glass of prune juice before bedtime and another the next morning did the trick.
3) Sitz baths are your friend and don't forget to add epsom's salt to at least 2 of them a day.
4)Don't go on a liquid diet! Yes cut down on red meat or eliminate it if you want for a few weeks but the longer you go without having normal BM's the longer it is going to take you to recover and the more painful it will be in the long run. Just eat a diet HIGH in fiber and that means more then 30g of it a day. We are at 40g's to be on the real safe side:)
A normal day of eating for my husband is:

Breakfast:
High fiber cereal, grapefruit, and high fiber toast total of 12g of fiber

lunch:
Sandwich (high fiber bread) with spinach and turkey or chicken, a salad with spinach in it as well as fresh green beans and a few walnuts or a bean soup and tortilla chips 11-13g of fiber

Dinner:
Pasta or stir fry, another salad and a piece of high fiber bread or two 12-14g of fiber

for snacks we use fiber one granola type bars and it gives you about 6-8g of fiber.

There is our game plan, so far he has had BM's which left him a little shaky but he did not pass out from them thankfully! This way you don't have to starve yourself to death eating only soups, broths, veggy's and fruit and remember stay away from spicy foods.

Tina

Breakfast:

lunch:

Dinner:

Tina