I had three very large thrombosed hemorrhoids removed on Feb 28, 2012. It is now July 27, 2012. That is almost 5 months of recovery time. I've had 4 children, all natural births, only had a epidural with the last child. Some pain medications with the 1st two children and no pain medication at all with the 3rd child. I've had a ruptured cyst removed from my left ovary and the cyst had been ruptured for 7 months before it was operated on. I had a hiatel hernia and had a fundoplication surgery to have it fixed and both my lunch partially collasped during the surgery. My point, the worst pain I ever experienced was with the hemorrhoid surgery. I have never in my life experienced such pain in my life. I didn't think the pain could get worse then the actual bleeding thrombosed hemorrhoids themselves. But guess what? It can!!!!!!!!! I have never screamed so loud during a BM in my life. It was like passing 50 razor blades during the 1st BM. If you think I'm kidding, go ahead and have the surgery and let me know what it feels like for you. I had to go the emergency room twice and I missed more days of work then what I thought I would. Then I was having to come in late and leave during the middle of the day. The daily BM's controlled my life for at least 2 months. The pain during the BM's didn't fully stop for at least two months. It is now 5 months out and I still have issues with bleeding and painful BM's at least a couple times a month. Just now, almost exactly 5 months out, the toilet was filled with blood. I was told AFTER the surgery by my doctor, that it could take up to a year for me to fully recover. If you must have the surgery done, do realize it will be the worst pain you have ever experienced and you may pass out during your first BM or vomit. I almost passed out and my whole body shook for over 2 hours after the 1st BM. Then I was to talk myself daily into going to the bathroom because I knew how painful it was going to be. I was terrified to have a BM.

Does it get better, yes. But it's nothing fast at all. My first mistake is that I got hemorrhoids when I was 17 years old. I should have had them operated on at a much younger age. But after 4 kids and 24 years I finally had them operated on and it caused the cutting area to be larger which made the recovery worse. So, if you get them, get them out much sooner than later. Start a diet of high fiber and laxatives months before you have the surgery. The better prepared you are to have soft stools, the much easier the BM's will be. You want to have a BM within the first 24 hours after the surgery. So fasting days before the surgery is not helpful. You don't want those stiches to settle to much and you don't want to become compacted because then you'll need an enima and trust me, you won't want anything going near your bottom after that surgery.

I have threatened to write a "What to Expect" book for doctors to give to their patients before the surgery. Because there really isn't much information out there and most surgeons really don't portray the after effects well enough. I mean I had to have the surgery. My hemi's wouldn't quit bleeding. So, I couldn't live like that. But I was not at all prepared for the recovery. I was told all the nurses gasped in horror when they saw the size of mine and the one pregnant nurse asked if she was going to get hemi's like mine and the surgeon told her it was possible and she started crying.

When the doctor tells you that you'll be back at work in a week, he's lying. It's going to be at least 2 weeks and you're still going to be suffering. Be prepared to come in late and leave during the middle of the day to have a BM. Because trust me, you're not going to want to do it at work. You'll need your sitz bath, you'll need to scream at will, you'll need to lie down afterwards. It takes a good hour or more to have a BM for at least 4 weeks.

If this scares you, at least I didn't lie to you. At least you can say you were prepared. Oh, and don't eat steak for a long time or anything that will cause you to bulk up on a BM. Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm 5 months out and still can't eat steak. I prefer to go to the bathroom then enjoy a steak.

That's supposed to say, "Both my lungs partially collasped during the surgery" not lunch. LOL

I wish I had read you info before I had surgery. It has been 4.5 months since and I am still hurting. I was sown up so small that I am just now able to have a regular BM and it tears me everyday, so I am so sore that I am not able to set down for very long. I don't see how anyone goes back to work in a few days. I think you should write and booklet and get all the doctors to pass it out to their patients. Because I was like most everyone was told that the surgery would not be bad and time recovery time would be short.