I have developed hammer toe associated with rheumatoid arthritis. I should have arthrodesis on the great toe next week. I can not stay off of my job longer than a week. How long does it take to recover after toe fusion? What is the recovery period like, should I have rest or I will be able to walk normal after the surgery?

As I know, it takes long time to recover from fusion. It is recommended to have rest during the first week or more after the surgery and to keep your feet elevated above the level of the heart. It takes several months for one who had surgery to be able to wear normal shoes and you will need to wear special shoes. My son had toe fusion and it took 6 months until he recovered completely. As I can see this is not what you have planned but I think that this would be the best choice. Arthritis is progressive disease and this surgery may slow its progress.

I had a toe fusion done 2 weeks tomorrow. My whole foot tingles and very sensitive to the touch. I also have a lot of spazam in toe and under foot area. I see the doctor tomorrow who says he will be fitting me in a walking boot. How ever, I dont think I am ready due to the pain and discomfort I am having still.

Is this normal?