My husband has to do gallbladder removal as soon as it is possible. His surgeon recommended doing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. He told him he might returns to work more quickly, have less pain after surgery, have a shorter hospital stay, and have a shorter recovery time. Unlike traditional surgery, laparoscopic surgery to remove the gallbladder can be done without cutting abdominal muscles. I want to know if that is true and also to hear a little bit more about gallbladder removal.

The surgery to remove the gallbladder is called a cholecystectomy. With traditional surgery, the gallbladder is removed through a 5- to 8-inch long cut made in abdomen. The cut is made just below the ribs on the right side and goes to just below of the waist. This is called open cholecystectomy, and a newer way to remove the gallbladder is called laparoscopic cholecystectomy. With this kind of gallbladder removal, a laparoscope, thin tube with a scope on the tip of it that is used to see the inside of the body. Also this is used to remove the gallbladder. Several small incisions are used rather than one large incision which is made in cholecystectomy. The laparoscope is put into the body through a tiny cut made just below navel. His doctor can then see his gallbladder on a TV screen and do the surgery with tools inserted. His gallbladder is then taken out through one of the incisions.

i had mine removed in '98 when i was 16 laproscopic and highly recommend it. i was good in about a week from what i recall. however i know that with abdomen surgery the more fat in the area, the higher the risk of infection and complications, as my brother had. i had a flat stomach so despite the initial pain i had when trying to sit up, it soon subsided and i'm very happy with the results. 9 years later you cant even tell unless i point out and look for the scars.

I had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago and my life has been hell ever since.  Constant stomach pain, burning in chest and throat, numerous trips to different gastroenterologists, and MD's have done absolutely nothing to eliminate the pain.  Antacids and PPI's just aggravate pain.  I would take those infrequent gallstones any day than deal with what I am dealing with now.  It was discovered early in my treatment that I had bile leaking into my duodenum, and now that bile is making it's way into my stomach and up my esophagus.  Not one medical doctor would work with me on this problem.  I am now going to a naturopath and we are working on helping the body heal itself.  Although I do get a day every now and then where I get some relief, it could be years before I am finally healed.  I am frustrated with myself that I did not do more research on the complications before the surgery.  When MD's tell you that the gallbladder is not a necessary organ, that could not be further from the truth.  Why would God have put it there if it was not necessary for the function of human life.  And a side note, I have never had stomach pain or acid reflux in my life until after this surgery