OK, so I have exactly the same thing all of you do... I had the same reaction when reading all of this - that is that OTHER people besides me (and my mother) have this problem. Being a scientist, I refuse to let this go until I figure it out, so allow me to present the following information:

- Possibly genetic
- Caused most often (personally) by wine, followed by shrimp and bottled lemon/lime juice (and/or store-bought "margarita" mix).

I believe this is a sulfite allergy - for the following reasons:

- Organic, sulfite-free wine does not produce the reaction - 8 of last 9 bottles of normal red wine caused the reaction, while the reaction has never occured with a bottle of sulfite-free organic wine (which limits your choices, trust me)

- Fresh shrimp do not cause nearly as severe of a reaction as farm-rasied shrimp - possibly due to higher sulfite levels since farm raised shrimp in SE Asia (where the bulk of our shrimp comes from) are treated with sulfites

- I do not get the reaction from fresh citrus - only from the bottled stuff, which contains high sulfite levels

- I do not get the reaction from beer that others have described - I do not, however, drink mass-produced beer (only locals and homebrews which do not contain sulfites) - I believe the major American brewers such as Budweiser use sulfites for preservation...

Please discuss - I want to get to the bottom of this for good (although I think the sulfite allergy, and the resultant avoidance of high-sulfite foods and drinks, is probably the ticket...)

You may be on to something. The only prescription drugs I am allergic to is sulfa based drugs I get a rash from head to toe and it burns/itches . 

As as for real vs fake, the last and worst reaction I had with alcohol was with a Budweiser Lime-Arita . I seriously thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe and my pain shot down my arm I thought I was having a heart attack turns out in 20 minutes everything was back to normal just another reaction. But I can drink "fresh" margaritas no more Budweiser for me!

thanks for the idea I will try steering clear of the sulfa stuff and see if that helps.

That's a VERY good theory. I'm 21 (college) so I drink quite often & have experienced this for about 5 years. I can't drink wine coolers (Smirnoff and premixed drinks) & there are specific drinks I've had that trigger the shoulder pain. It can be the first drink or the last drink I have it's random. Once I experience it I give my drink away & buy a new one & deal with the pain. I've made friends with bartenders so they know what not to put in my drink & I love experimenting with drinks I'll drink anything but I've found that drinks with grenadine hurt. But it was strange because I ordered a loopy (three olives loopy vodka) with tonic water at least 6 times over a span of a couple weeks & even made my own but my last time ordering it I couldn't finish it because of my shoulders. I will definitely look into the sulfa thing because no one can find the answer to this & id like to help you find it. Also there is one specific drink I HAVE to stay away from- it's gallettes "yellow hammer" made with oj if that helps at all.

I would agree it is some type of radiating visceral pain probably from liver. People with liver cancer, hepatitis, and other liver disorders have radiating pain in back and shoulders. Like you its good to know someone else has this. I have had this over 25 years and am not a heavy drinker. I drink at the most 3 times a year, holidays, birthdays etc. I notice it more with wine, champagne or wine coolers. Its like a radiating burning pain in the sides of my neck, shoulders and sometimes down arms. I sometimes get flushed also. I do know that anything absorbed into the blood stream, nutrients, drugs, alcohol from the GI tract has to go through the liver first. I think its our livers hating this alcohol we are drinking and reacting to it. With me it happens soon after the first drink and can last 30 - 45 minutes. But there have been times I have not noticed it all but I think it wasn't wine in those cases

I avoid anything (like olives or peppers) that comes in a jar. Too much potential for an extreme amount of sulfites.