I just have a question out of curiosity, not concern, about a possible skin growth that I don't know how I got. I am 21 now, and my Mom can't remember me always having it and I don't see it in pictures of me when I was younger than 10 or so (since about 13 and older I start to notice it), although even today in frontal pictures it is still hard to see since it is along the side of my face along my jawline. I tried doing a search to find out what it might be and I found some interesting pictures of Hemangioma that show a similar skin protrusion to what I have but I appear to be disqualified from having Hemangioma because it apparently only happens in infants/small children and/or middle aged to elderly adults. Also it is not bright red like Hemangioma appears to be (it's mostly skin-color, & a little dark brown), and it doesn't seem to grow or subside. It's just sort of "there" - like a scar. I've always considered it a scar, but I'm not sure where I would have gotten it or how a scar can protrude from the skin - and I don't think it's a burn mark (which might explain a protruding scar). It is only a small sliver of a protrusion, about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide. Any ideas what this might be? Until I saw Hemangioma I never considered it as a possible skin growth, because if it is - it is not obvious. But I defer the question to those who may know more about this than me.

Any ideas?

Hi Cyber: I have a thought that it might be a keloid - which is caused by a scar, a scratch, acne etc. I have a couple and mine just look like bumps or lines under the skin. I found this website for you, but these are PRETTY darker than what I have and sounds like you have but I'm sure you can get the idea see what you think about these:

http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/keloid.htm

bambi27 wrote:

That is interesting, although this "scar" of mine (we'll call it) is a bit more choppy/less smooth on the surface (though soft to the touch) than what that picture depicts but it kinda looks like scar tissue around the edges. It is a unified mass but varied in height from my skin. For all I know it could be a burn mark but I just find it odd that I don't know where it came from. I wonder if it came from skin not healing properly from some scrape I got as a kid (like I said I really have only noticed it being there since I was 13 or so) but now has permanently solidified into that mass (it doesn't grow or abate). Thanks for the pointer though!

Ask your family if any of them remembering their scars after healing left bumps. There are lazer treatments for it, but lets face facts if it hasn't hurt you and you didn't really notic - why go though all of that? Also try to massage the are, It could be a fussure as well, where the scar is stretched out and leaves a makr which is soft - see so many things!!