I have hemorrhoid surgery scheduled for Aug. 14th 12'. I have been in constant pain from a external thrombosed hemorrhoid for 3 weeks. It is finally starting to feel better. Went to the Dr. yesterday and she said I should remove it and the recovery time is 2-6 wks. She also said it's brutal pain.
After reading all of your posts it seems as this is the worst thing ever. I'm so scared, did anyone have a good experience? I don't want to go through this any more but I also don't think I can stand what you all went through?

Is the pain after surgery worse than the pain I've had for 3 wks, It's been brutal!

Is okay Gary. (I think thats your name judging by your username...haha!:) my dad, my aunt, and my cousin all got the surgery. It's okay. They are all extremely well and happy now, and they feel NO PAIN. After you recover, I promise everything will be okay. Please tell us how it goes:)

AGirlwithsomeideas wrote:

Thanks for your encouragement. Was the recovery experience the same as everyone else's I read? I have yet to see one post on numerous forums that says I had a little pain but it was gone in a week.
Everyone says, I thought I was gonna die and it's 8 weeks later and I'm still bleeding and in horrible pain.....

Is the pain worse after the surgery than it was w/ the thrombosed hemorrhoid? I have a stage 4 (from what I've read all that means is it's external) thrombosed hemorroid and it is brutal.
I'm so scared!

You feel pain after your surgery is over for sure, but you'll recover in like two weeks. Just don't move around too much. Try not to turn on your sides too much. Lay flat on your back and don't bend to much either:) trust your doctor. They know what they're doing. I know it may sound scary. Heck! I'm afraid of shots! But I'm sayingthat to say that I know that this whole thing may sound terrifying, but it's okay. Because everything will be okay. You won't have any more pain. By September for sure, youll be right back to normal. Play sports, run, jump, no bleeding or pain, and everything will be fine. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

I had a bunch removed internal and external, 2 years ago. I swear it was not comfortable you have to take the pain meds and anti anxiety medication to get through the two weeks. Have a sitz bath, epsom salts, two weeks off work and you'll get through it.. after that life is so much better. I went through agony all day every day after a bm, before the surgery. Its worth it, you will not be sorry once you heal. I still had swelling after three weeks, but eventually that went down, it just takes time.

Wishing you the best of luck today.  Just found your topic.  I need to have surgery, likely in October.  I really didn't want to go this far and am scared to death but am stage 4 and have been going through daily hell.   Look forward to hearing about your experience.

How was it!!!!!????

Ok everyone here I am alive and doing well! I had a very large "External Thrombosed Hemorrhoid" & 3 Large Internal Hemorrhoids. Since July 12th I have been in the worst pain of my life! Dreading the daily BM's & other normal daily functions of a father, husband & you guessed it a full time drummer.... Lol yes I sit & hit things for a living & these hemorrhoids stopped me cold! I haven't worked since July 7th & we just had a new baby.... Ooo but read on it gets better and very encouraging!

First, thanks for all your great encouragement! I am the kind of person that wants to be informed so what do I do? Read every forum (IE.... Horror story) about this condition & the surgery. My mind screwed me all the way to the pre-op room. I am so thankful I did this.
So from the begining.
I was scared for surgery, but it was a piece of cake! Dr. used a tool (newer technology) called, 'LigaSure'. Basically like scissors that are very hot and burn the cut closed, no stitches! I was then worried about urinating after. I have a history of the anesthesia not allowing mr to urinate coupled w/ the surgery I hear makes it hard. Also I had banding done years ago and it was the worst, I didn't pee for 2 days. So w/ all that said a catheter was a horrible fear. Again, no worries peed on my own and went home. Went in at 9:30am pre-op, surgery at 11am and home by 1:20!
I've had no pain at all! NONE! I woke up a little uncomfortable because of the gauze and the packing they put for precaution for bleeding and took a bath to get it out, no pain again.... I then had my first BM & was scared to death by the horror stories I've been reading, guys seriously no pain during the BM but I have had pain after since. I'm at about a 5-6 right now while typing this. It's now 12:19pm Wed Aug 15, 2012 for those wondering when this was done. I know not everyone will have this experience but I attribute it to Praying & believing God is in control. The Dr's & staff at Kaiser Ontario, CA Vineyard facility & this great new technology, "LigaSure" as well as me!

This is how I prepared my body for recovery. I was very proactive 2 wks before & I focussed more on the recovery than the surgery since I was going to be asleep for the surgery, lol. Below is what I did & I know it is helping big time to reduce the pain of the BM's. I recommend this to everyone before surgery!

Obviously changed my diet to a very fiber rich one. I lost 8lbs before surgery. I also added supplements daily an that's it. Here they are & how I used them.
Again w/ a very fiber rich diet, very little animal protein (no beef at all!).
First, WATER WATER WATER &  more WATER!

Supplements: Macro Life Naturals  "Macro Greens", Renew Life "Organic Triple Fiber" Psyllium Free it's a softer fiber that helps your stool to be smaller. Metamucil & Citrucel are harsh fibers & often make your actual stool bigger & could hurt more coming out.
Barlean's Organic Oils "Omega Swirl Flax Seed Oil" strawberry banana flavor. This actual helps pass stool easier because it lubricates your digestive system & rectum. 
Big G's Smoothy! What I did w/ these supplements was made a smoothy every morning using products & organic juices that I know to aid healing & help me in my recover. 

So I added a TBLS of each supplement w/ either Odwalla "Superfood Blueberry B" or Sambazon "Organic Acai" & a little Mango juice. In that I added a banana & Blueberries (fresh or frozen tend to be cheaper). Lastly, 2Tbls of plain yogurt w/ some ice. BAM! That's the Big G smoothy setting me up for a smooth, effortless & painless (mostly) BM!
Again my focus has been on my recovery & these first BM's.

Being proactive & setting your focus on your recovery will do you wonders! After I read all these horror stories I was set & all indications were that I would be in HELL! GUYS YOU CAN DO THIS! I am in a bit of pain, a "BIT". The pain (if I can even call it that) is NOTHING compared to how I felt 2 days of before my surgery! Guys & gals do it, inform yourself, ask if the us "LigaSure" tools & technology. I have had an absolute wonderful experience considering what I was told & read. You can do it, be encouraged, uses my proactive, pre-surgery smoothy & share it w/ everyone. This is not only about the recovery but about a heathy future for your digestive system so this never happens again to any of us! Your BM's should come out on their own & should get this, "Float".
God bless you & your families. I pray for no more pain & a speedy recovery for all. Share the "Big G Smoothy" w/ the world it helps!
Gary Stanionis 1 day after surgery.
P.S. If you have any questions or need encouragement send them to garystanionis@gmail.com 
-G

Thanks I'm 40. Please read my new post. Today is day 1 after surgery just posted it!
-G

New post below sister!
-G

Thanks New Post Below.
-G

New post surgery post below. Bless you be encouraged you will be fine!
-G

CONGRATULATIONS!:) told you you'd be okay afterwards!:)

Awesome Gary. Just starting on this path of what will absolutely need to be surgery likely late Sept. Your suggestions and positive nature have given me so much hope. Sounds like we have (or better you HAD) very similar issues. I look forward to hearing of your progress. I am hopeful and believe it just can't be as bad as my last 6 weeks have been and you make me believe that is possible! Cheers to a speedy recovery! Maggie Nelson

He already got surgery yesterday on the fourteenth