New Reply New Topic Followed by 12 people

My doctor said that if I want I can remove the two stents that were inserted two days ago. Due to the holiday I can not find a professional to remove them. I understand this can be painful, however the cramping from the stents as sever and I am entertaining self removal. Is this a wise chose and what is the best method for me to follow if I chose to go through with this on my own?

I know this is a late reply but I was reading about stent removal and thought I would share my experience from last weekend.
First I had been passing a stone since Feb '08 which I had never known I had or experienced before.... I thought it was an appendicitis... the pain would come and go sometimes worse then go away. In May I had blood in my urine so after xray, sono and CT they found the stone close to my bladder. I was told they would look for other stones and they would remove it with laser if they could. I really had no idea what to expect. I had no idea I had to go under general anesthesia and tried to get out of it but they put me under anyway.
When I was in recovery I had to urinate and went into the bathroom.... urine was just constantly coming out along with some blood... I was told this was normal.. they gave me a pad to get dressed.... (sidenote.... don't wear light pants on the day of the procedure : ( Anyway from 3 pm to 10 pm I had urine leaking constantly. I couldn't lay or relax.... finally called the on call dr at 10 pm and he said it sounded like the stent wasn't in all the way properly in my bladder and that I could try to push it back in.... nope... not me..... or pull it out..... so while he was on the phone I pulled it out.... again with no idea what to expect... Pulled it out rather quickly.... immediately after it felt fine and the urine dripping stopped.... I was happy.... but within a 1/2 hour my kidney and side started spasming and I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did... couldn't keep any pain pills down, kept vomiting and sweating.... so at midnight I called him back and he said that was normal and just work through it or go to the ER for an IV... I packed myself in as many ice packs as I could and finally fell asleep. In the morning I felt better..... had another few brief spasms but they passed without as much pain.... but I was bleeding for the next 48 hours.... a lot when I urinated.... and called again and was told this is normal in some cases.... it finally eased on the 3rd day. I've been on antibiodics for a week and feel ok but have some slight discomfort. I have also had times when I just sweat and get waves of nausia.... I wonder if the cramping and spasms would have happened anyway when they would have removed it in the doctors office? It was a learning experience and I hope it may help answer some questions for someone else. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor.... no matter what time it is! Take care.... ;-)

I recently had 3 large stones shock waved. 7 mm 9mm and a 12mm. Before that, I had a stent put in my left kidney and s it was there for over 3 months. It was always causing me discomfort, and when I over did things; it would cause me to bleed and need to take something to help the pain.
10 days ago is when I had the stones broken up, they removed the stent while I was put under, but because of the size of stone (12mm), on my right kidney, they decided to put a stent in there. I started bothering me even more, the string they had attached was so annoying and caused pain if I moved it any.
Today, I felt the stent coming out, and the only thing I could do was remove it myself because it was pinching my insides.
I found that this site was a great comfort and relief to hear that some were told by doctors to pull it out themselves. It didn't hurt a bit, for I guess it had alredy gotten past the point of hurting. I wasn't sure if anything broke off or if even it was ok to pull out, but due to reading much of what I did here, I fell comfortable in doing what I did. Surprising to me that the doctor never warned me that this could happen.
As the time went by, I began to find great discomfort, but with a little pain pill, I am able to wait it out. I had no clue to what a stent looked like and in one thing I read here is that it described just what I had in my hand and that nothing broke off. I don't feel I need to run to the ER and spend hours there for them to tell me that everything is ok.
Now I just have to pay attention to my body and see if the stones get clogged up, which is what they were concerned would happen, so that is why they put the stent in there in the first place.
But thanks to reading all that I have, I am relieved to have a piece of mind that what I am feeling is normal.

Thank You
Debra

wendy wrote:

:? Hi how can I remove my stent? My doctor has postponed my surgery to remove it since I dont have Insurance any more.How can I do it myeslf?

I have had kidney stone problems for years.I have several stents put in and always find them to be extremely uncomfortable, so I want them out as soon as possible.The only way to do that in Canada is to pull them out yourself as it can take a couple of weeks to wait for an operating room.The last time I needed a stent removed my doctor suggested I do it myself.It was the first time I had heard of that but I jumped at the opportunity to get the dam thing out 2 weeks early.It was the best decision that I ever made.He put a string on it so I just pulled out.It took less than a minute and was almost painless.If the doctor does'nt put a string at the end of it then he has to go in and get it.Trust me,it is much, much more painful and time consuming if he does it.I can only assume americans without insurance will save a ton of money as there will be no need waste a day at the hospital where you would need a doctor, nurses, and an operating room.

I am one of those lucky uninsured americans... My doc.. told me to pull my stent out, but my string dissapeared the night before I was supposed to pull it... I called Doc. they said it happens and they would have to drive the camera up my penis to find the string and pull it out... Now my string is back, and I have my appt. in a couple of days... I was hopeing they would knock me out to pull it, cause it is very painful for me... I tried 3=4 times with no luck, but lots of blook... They also told me that I would not be givin anything to knock me out before they used their camera to retrieve it... I asked the nurse what the best method was to pull out stent on my own, and she said to wrap a stick around the string and pull it like I was trying to start a lawnmower... "It was funny for a second" Anyway, How bad is this going to hurt ??? I have a fairly high pain tollerence, but still very nervous about it... "Maybe I should just tie the string to a door knob and slam it shut" ....... whats the best way to pull it out myself ????? anyone please help ...

My docter left a string for me to pull out. Just apply a slow constant pull. I just took mine off myself (male) two days ago. It is painless, it helps if you take deep breaths and keep your mind on something else. By the way, I was told by my doctor to pull it out while taking a hot shower to relax the muscles. I began to have pain in my lower back thirty minutes after the stent removal, so make sure you have some meds handy. Pain while urinating went away and so did the blood.

After two days without the stent on occasion I get kidney spasms in my lower back and feel nausa at times. I was told it was normal and should ease up with time.

Hope this helps.

I don't know if this will help but here tis.

After heart bypass surgery, before I could go home the nurse had to take out my catheter.
She told me to push like I was trying to pee as she slowly pulled it out. It didn't hurt at all but it did feel funny and I was sure surprised at the size of the tube they managed to get in that little hole.

Start a Lawn Mower! One of the funniest thing I ever heard!!!

I have a stent for self removal after 5 days of laser. I am vactioning and my Dr said I could pull it out myself was just looking around to check on pain level

OK I think I'll go mow the lawn!!!

I have removed several sents at different times. Do not yank the stent out like you are cranking a lawn mower, laughs. Get in the tub, in hot water and grab the string and pull out slowly forward from your priv. The initial pain you feel will make you think "i cant do this", but this initial pain only last till the stent starts to come out of you priv. (about 3 or 4 inches worth of pulling) Once you notice the stent is begaining to come out, all you will feel is presure with some discomfort, but not like the pain you had when initially pulling on it. Dont freak out when you notice the stent keeps coming, since it will be about 18 inches or longer. Just make sure you take your meds 15 minutes this helps with the phantom pain that will occur about 30 minutes afterwards. Good Luck to you all and remember to do it in a tub of HOT water, helps out a bunch!!! (grab you a cold wet towell also, since your nerves will cause your face to heat up or feel flushed) Also incase some are wondering, I took all my stents out in like 2 or 3 minutes once I started except the first time I did it which it took me about 10 minutes (since i was more nervous of the pain back then)

I want a kidney of woman his life is in very critical possion plz help.

I had stones removed Wednesday.  Today is Saturday.  My doctor, who has a really good reputation at a famous hospital in the Northeast U.S., used the "pull the string like you are starting a lawn mower but not so hard" instruction.  I pulled the string and removed the stent about 2 hours ago.  There was no pain, no blood, no after effects.  It was fascinating to see what the stent looks like.

Before doing this, I ran the shower first and made sure that everything was rinsed off --made sure that there was no residual tape or anything else.  If your doc says that you can do it, relax and don't worry.

i agree with Guillermo about how easy it is as i had to remove my own this morning. The doc told me the best bet was take two pain pills one hour before you get ready to do it. then turn on the shower as hot as tolerable and then pull it out at an acceptable rate for your own pain level. it was so easy i thought i was gonna die just trying but it slid right out with two tugs of the string at a moderate rate. some pain and burning in my penis but was told to expect it!!!!

I had a stent installed after the removal of a kidney stone, on the 5th day the doctor said to remove it.  I told him that I would come to the office and have the nurse do it.  The nurse called back and said no that I was to do it.  With little skeptism I followed her direction, 1) wait until you have to urinate real bad, 2) disrobe, and 3) get into a hot shower, 4) start to urinate and as you start, 5) gently start pulling on the string.  After about 2 ft of string and stent it was over, felt it start to move and in 15 seconds it was out with no pain.  Everything went as she said it was and this saved an office visit.  The idea and thought of doing it was more stressful than doing it.  Just like taking out stitches.   

should you expect a fever - my son has a slight fever and the stomoch pains as well - wondering if this is normal