I’ve been having severe burning pain in my abdomen, in the lower ribs area. My physician doesn’t seem to know what causes the pain. Did anyone experience something similar?

Many people suffer from chronic pain that is not related to an identifiable mechanical or physiologic abnormality in the abdominal wall. For example, a tight belt or other poorly fitted clothing can cause nerve root irritation. Pain also can occur in around the abdominal wall where muscles insert on bones, for example the pain can occur where the rectus abdominis muscles insert on the lower ribs or where the lower ribs connect through cartilage. This abdominal pain is considered as one of category of myofascial pain. The severe burning pain that you’ve been felling can be one these cases.

I AM HAVING THE PAIN IN MY LOWER LEFT RIB AND LOWER AB, UNDER THE RIB AREA IS MUCH MORE FREQUENT LATELY. I REALLY NOTICE IT WHEN SITTING. IT FEELS LIKE THE BOTTOM RIB IS BRUISED. MAYBE ONSET FROM THE BABY STRETCHING WHEN PREGNANT (OVER 4 YRS AGO).
I WILL KEEP SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS.

EVE

I ALSO HAVE THE SAME PAIN - I HAVE BEEN TO 3 DIFF DOCTORS AND NONE SEEM TO KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. I AM THINKING IT DOES HAVE SOMETHING PREGNANCY - I HAVE BEEN EXPERECING THIS EVERY SINCE MY OLDEST DAUGHTER (6 YEARS) WAS BORN. I WILL ALSO CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR ANSWERS.

I have the same pain but on my right side. I've never been pregnant (I'm a guy). At first I thought it was appendicitis, but the doctor said probably not. It just started a couple days ago, so I'm glad to hear that other people have it and are still alive!!

I am going through a burning, itching pain (medium intensity but constant). I had several standard tests (bloodwork, xrays, utrasound, mri) which came back negative. My doctor is now examining the possibility of Intercostal Neuralgia. You can do searches on that and on Intercostal nerves. This may be an avenue for some of you to explore.

hi, i have been havin this pain in and behind my left ribs for 2years now. my doctor said it was a sticky rib but i found out it is actually a peptic ulcer. the pain starts has a aching behind or on the rib and a severe twisting feeling, it comes and goes if i move around. if u suffer heartburn than maybe u should get checked for ulcers, good luck guys xxxx

I'm a Male 32 of age

I Woke up during the week with a tight knot in my back, tried to massage it out then stretched it out with some exercise. Cracked my back slightly with the stretches and felt my back crack slightly around the area where the knot was. I felt fairly relieved but the pain was still slightly there. I stood up to suddenly start having sharp pains under my ribs on the right hand side of my body. Shortly after I started to have problems breathing. For most of the morning all it was for me was breathing problems and sharp pains in my ribs.

The knot on my back felt like it worked its way sort of like a cramp and made its way around to my ribs and thats when my ribs felt sore thereafter with it feeling so tender to touch it and my skin felt like it was on fire. Met up with my chiropractor and he managed to relieve my breathing problems but from that point on it just felt like my ribs were totally bruised and the sharp pains just stuck around constantly and hasn't stopped.

Now I'm on day 4 with this pain and during this time I have seen a doctor and received prescriptions one which was dealing as a anti-inflammatory. I felt no changes with the prescriptions and than admitted myself into the hospital (day 3) nearly in tears cause i couldn't sleep from all this pain and it didnt matter which way i turned to be comfortable it was very discomforting. The hospital than after I explained everything to them about my conditions, gave me different meds called Oxycocet which is to start having some effect on me within an hour.....I felt nothing now with the Ocycocet for the past couple of days and now I've doubled up thinking this may help my discomfort and possible healing with whatever is wrong with me and the pain just seems to feel worse or just wont go away and its a constant pain.

And to think all this pain started from a simple knot in my back. I'm also on day 4 without a cigarette and have been using zyban for 2 weeks and 1 day. I have a really good blood pressure and all and I'm pretty healthy in most ways, pretty skinny guy for my age and eats pretty well. Anyone have any ideas what the heck this can be? Cause I feel this is related to what everyone has posted on this wall, your time reading my story and helping out with anything would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Francis. 8)

Hello there:)

I want to spread the word in regards to what happened to me very recently and hope and pray it may help or save any of you.

I KNOW THIS IS QUITE LONG BUT PLZ READ IF YOU'RE HAVING ANY PAINS YOU HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED BEFORE, ESP BURNING PAINS IN RIBS, BACK etc.

The day before Thanksgiving I woke up with quite a burning-type pain in my back, sort of near my shoulder blade, intermittently reaching across my back to both shoulder blades and from time to time reaching all the way around me, to include my ribs, like a burning band.

Now I have been ill for a number of years, having had 8 laparotomies, TRAH, small bowel resection, all for endometriosis and severe adhesive disease/adhesions, no HRT in my case, and all adding up to no real resolution of either disease. Have been in Pain Management since late 2001, on sort of a standby for each subsequent bowel related prob needing surg with these damn adhesions! Anyway, in a nutshell, I know pain, and I know when I feel pain that I've never experienced before! You do too!! Don't let anyone, including yourself, talk you out of that fact!!
Neither my Oxycontin, 40mg 3x day nor the percocet for break-thru pain, were even touching this new hurt. (not surprising tho since my meds are not meant to go any further/cover more pain than they were prescribed for)

I have never had any real back problems, told myself I'd slept wrong, somehow pulled something, twisted a muscle etc, waited for it to go away. Ended up having to skip Thanksgiving dinner, which my fiance and I always look forward to with my very sweet Mom and Step Dad.

Within about 10 days I was unable to walk without assistance and finding it very difficult to raise my arms or lift more than the weight of my own 2 hands. It was NOT a weakness of my legs or arms, but the horrible burning pain it caused in my back and sometimes my ribs. My family and myself were already quite scared and had been waiting to get a referral from the docs at my Pain Mngmnt. Well, someone dropped the ball because the PA had an assistant call to tell me "No" to the referral and that I could just wait til my next monthly appt and "Just come in and talk about the back pain." WTF??!! Never had I had ANY prob with a referral before, thus my 'dropped the ball' statement. I didn't even ask for help controlling the new horrific pain. Whatever >:-( BTW, later, after the emergency, my main dr. told me he had no idea why the PA denied my request for referral. Ahhh, communication, its a great thing, huh? Especially in the medical field damn it!!

I was at least told to go to emergency if I had to. Gee, thanks? I just wanted to get the ball rolling on wtf was going on with me/my health and I knew from experience that ER can be this; 1. Wait 5 hrs 2. be told to see your family dr. 3. go home...take Tylenol/apply heating pad 4. receive giant billing for steps 1-3 as stated above.
In all seriousness, DO go to emergency if you ever need to, though!!

So, friend of family begged us an appt with some dr. He ordered many blood tests, x-rays, and gave me what turned out to be a very painful combination of "surface and intramuscular EMG tests". Probably because I was now in constant pain and all movement just exasperated the pain, being poked, under the skin with a needle and getting electric charges over and over ...yeah.

He sent me home with orders to set up physical therapy asap, and to soak in epsom salts. Said that among other abnormal blood test results, although all results were not in yet, I had showed elevated clotting/fibrinogen and wanted me to take a "new" med and was uncomfortable prescribing typical blood thinners like Heparin, Coumadin (dicoumarol, warfarin) etc, so wanted me to take" a med that is not yet sold in US, but is basically on OTC to thin blood." It is called "Boluoke®" and here is my wife's business phone so you can order it." Why didn't we question that? I don't know. We wanted an answer and some relief and anything to begin some kind of treatment. And oh yeah, told me I was "weak and needed to strengthen my muscles". Wouldn't listen that it was the pain not allowing me to flex this and that when he asked me to perform! Gah!

Upon receipt of Boluoke®, I took my 1st dose. OMG! Ever take niacin and have that all-over intense burning and sweating? In spades, my friends, in spades. Mixed with the unGodly pain I was already in, I wished I could've been knocked out during the next 45 mins of HELL. Reported that I'd had that reaction to his $300 med and he followed it with nothing. Weird that it was so important to have me on this, then when I couldn't tolerate it he replaced it with NOTHING. Thank God though, THANK GOD as you'll see.

Several more appts with him, including 1 for my foot swelling up to about 3x size, (sent home/told to get compression hose) still searching to get in at any dr, with Holidays so many were closing, had no openings etc.

Then on December 23rd, with my Mom having been at my side constantly, since fiance HAD to keep working (he took care of me @ night as best he could, God Bless him and my Mom!) I threw up a small trash can full of what looked like watery coffee grounds. Brown anyway. Within a few mins I had Mom walk me to bathroom, where I defecated and then ...I passed out.
Next I knew my Mom was holding me up, (I had stayed on potty somehow) and she was talking to 911. I had passed an awful lot of blood into the toilet. NOTE; BROWN OR COFFEE GROUNDS-LOOKING VOMIT IS BLOOD!! CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!!! BLACK, OR TARRY-LOOKING BOWEL MOVEMENT IS BLOOD TOO!!! DON'T FLUSH IT AWAY, LET EMS SEE IT, THEY NEED TO SEE THAT! 911, DON'T WAIT TO CALL, JUST DO IT! THEY WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!

So, God Bless EMS!! <3 I had lost so much blood however my medic couldn't start an IV, my BP dropped to 88/40 and made it too difficult to get a vein. I remember glimpses here and there of ER people, and lots of questions. I tried to tell my whole story to everybody, and ask if maybe my severe burning back pain was related, then I'd sorta pass out again.

Ended up having emergency EGD and had 2 bleeding ulcers that whole time! One of them has 3 of the metal clamps/clips on it, the other has 1. The Dr. said he doesn't know why I temp stopped bleeding once it started to hemorrhage. I know why. Prayer did that:) So Thank GOD I couldn't tolerate the Boluoke, which would have thinned my blood! Imagine trying to stop my internal bleeding then!! Holy God! Also, after 20 years of really enjoying smoking, I haven't touched a cigarette since Dec 23rd, before the emergency!

I had to have 2 transfusions, and am still anemic. 5 days in hospital, 2 ICU, 3 CCU. I spent Christmas in ICU, but I lived through that hell! I missed Thanksgiving, my birthday, (Dec 7th) and Christmas. It's like time stopped and started again after the New Year, and I am still confused feeling about those 5-6weeks.

Ulcers are no joke. Talk to dr. first about your own health, but take Tylenol instead of nsaids and aspirin. Stop smoking. If you vomit anything looking like blood, coffee grounds or brownish, call 911. Don't f around about it! Bowel movements that have blood, blood clot, are shiny, tarry, black or dark call 911! Don't be embarrassed.

Burning pains in your back, ribs, stomach, like a band around your middle may be ulcers and they may bleed!! I almost died. Nobody seemed to know my symptoms, I saw doctors, many techs and test people.

BTW, since my 1st night in ICU after EGD to stop bleeding, that pain in my back slowly ebbed away and is gone! I KNOW that's what it was, I KNOW it.

God Bless all of you,
Best of luck in solving your health probs/questions!
*hugs
Bethe:) <3

Even i have the problem quite similar to u guys, i have this from past 9 yrs.
Actually i got due to severe twist in the upper thighs of my left leg. i feel little pain, burning sensation at the lower left ribs also tight gluteus medius muscle and tight TFL muscle also. more over cant able to move the muscles of inner thighs. Totally i can say i have neuro muscular problem. if i try to put pressure on my inner thighs, other muscles will bare tht pressure. Cant even able to lead a satisfactory daily life.. Am doing yoga, sometimes i get relief that for only few seconds or minutes. Please help me if any body knows the solution for this. I underwent all the tests MRI, Bone Scanning, got physiotherapy treatment everything

I have pain in my ab,believed to be from hernia mesh...not sure. But my ribs are very sore to the touch and burn if i touch them at all.I HAVE BEEN LIKE THIS FOR 3 WKS NOW AND ER AND URGENT CARE KEEP SENDING ME AWAY ...SAY THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROB IS. bUT i AM VERY SICK. hAD THE TRIPLE HERNIA SURGERY 3 YEARS AGO WHEN i WAS54 YRS OLD. A PERSON KNOWS WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEIR BODY...Wish I could get some help,as now I'm waiting to see the Dr. who did my hernia surgery..And that won't be until the 26th of this month.Also have been on only cottage cheese and water for 3 wks anything else gives me great pain..and terrible gas...What a life.

My doctor said it could be shingles!!

kendle wrote:

I have this also but it comes and goes but knocks the wind out of me when it comes... no idea why

Hello, I have been having a few pains that I need an explaination too. 1. I feel the similar burning sensation under my rib cage. The first time it was more in the center and seemed to expand to the other sides. The most recent one (about an hour ago) was only on my left side. After feeling that pain I felt my heart start to speed up abit then my left arm had a little odd feeling in it. I got scared thinking it could have been a symphtom of a heart attack but I'm only 19 and not over weight, and in pass check ups with my family doc I always come out being healthy (though i havent seem him in almost a year, so things could have changed). Well, after those pains I felt a small headache also on the left side.I have been pretty scared the past week because of odd pains I've been having. I've discussed some with my mother and they may be because of cysts in the ovaries. I know I need to see a doc for these pains but can't at the moment.I was wondering if any of guys have ruled out what the burning sensation might be though.

I've been having about two weeks of unusually stressful situations (death of a friend, buying a car and internalyzing the usual pressure of entertaining certain audiences.). Stress has been my nemesis for 30 yrs and pains have come in EITHER back, neck, arms, center-stomach..and when near the chest, i got very concerned but everytime i went to the doc for heart related scare, it was probably just STRESS and a sedative would alleviate that (with a panic attack or so here and there when thinking it's heart). I was once diagnosed with GERD but really have only felt those sensations repeat a couple of times in 5-7 yrs.BUT recently, AFTER GOLF, i noticed fairly severe pain right under right rib...so i don't know if i bruised the rib with one bad, strong swing...OR the recent stress has possibly caused irritation in stomach or intestine lining or ulcer. The last time i thought i remember this pain after golf, it went away in a couple of days so now that it has persisted and not subsided AT ALL, i'm thinking the ulcer concept. Will go to doc in couple of days (it's weekend now) if no relief. I'm 60yo and not taking my daily aspirin buti believe ibuprofen is ok. I guess i have no point here but to offer another one of life's health quandries. Feel free to suggest or reply.