New Reply New Topic Followed by 10 people

Starting three years ago, I started to experience severe, stabbing like pains in my lower abdomen, anywhere from a few days up to a week before my period. These pains lasted for a few hours, until they turned into a dull sort of cramp until the next day. They were usually brought on after defecating. For the first year, it happened every month, and last year it was down to ever 3 months or so. This year I experience these pains every other month, still a week to a few days before my period after defecating. The pains are so severe I cannot fully stand. It feels like someone is pulling my insides hard and ripping them. The pain in concentrated in my lower pelvic area, and it gets worse when I urinate, and defecating is impossible when the pains are in the severe stage. Has anyone else had this problem? What could it be?
Thank You.

I've had similar symptoms. The first occurence was about 18 months ago and it was so severe my partner called an ambulance. By the time they got there it had gone as quickly as it had started. I now experience this pain, sharp, severe and in the area where my uterus sits, short lasting (thank god) and always 7 or 8 days before my period. I have a medical background and I have tried to find information on the internet but so far I really have no idea what it is.
Having said that, there are many conditions that go largely unnoticed or ignored by the worldwide medical fraternity, usually because they are of no consequence. So....if for instance, this pain was associated with uterine cancer, it would be listed as a sign or symptom of that disease.
My guess is that its just the uterus having a practice contraction for whatever reason, but if its bothering u then get it checked out, there's no harm in that.

i have the same pain it is so bad i cant even stand it even hurts to sit. I hate it doctors dont know what the hell it is either. I was in the hospital for 12 hours with pain. today o woke up and the pain was there. it still hurts really bad right now but its starting to dull out kinda. so far its been 4 hours with this pain. I wish someone could help me to figure this out. I think i might have endo.

I also get this only it is about a week after my period ends. I will tell you that I have endometriosis although it hasn't been much of a bother since my last baby was born (amazing). I also suffer from kidney stones of which I have passed three. I have a hard time distinguishing the difference between endo pain and kidney stone passing and child birth pain. All are bad and require breathing through the pain like lamaze breathing. Last time the pain woke me at 3AM and I walked and paced around breathing through it taking 800 mg of ibuprofen, an hour later waking my husband to drive to the ER with kids in tow. By the time I got there I was fine. Quite embarrassing. They blamed the stones. Who really knows. I will say that it is always the same time related to my cycle, having a bowel movement is difficult and painful and walking, sitting, standing, movement feels jarring no matter how careful. I wonder if it has something to do with ovulation since it is in between cycles. It usually last about three days. I am bracing myself for the next round as it should be happening in a few days.

I get this too, every few months. It's often associated with my period - often around day 4 or 5. But sometimes it happens at other times too.

When it happens, it's sudden and crippling. I can't stand or walk for the first part of it, which usually takes about half an hour. Sitting is particularly bad.

I've been to ER three times with it now, but I don't think I'm going to bother any more. By the time I get seen (which last time took 8 hours) the symptoms are receding and nobody can find anything wrong. It has been suggested that my metabolism is a bit sluggish and maybe things back up. Personally I think that's a cop out.

The gyni assures me it's not gynaecological in origin. My feeling is that it's GI related, but who knows? It happens less when I'm healthy and eating well.

It's been going on for about 5 years now. It is SO frustrating.

You may be experiencing constipation prior to your period. It is fairly common and can be excruciating.

Additionally for the person who said their metabolism is sluggish...get that checked right away, untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a host of female complaints (irregular, heavy, constant, and unusual periods) as well as heart, brain and organ problems. Please get it checked out and corrected. The cure is simple, 1 pill a day and the relief is amazing. I gained 70 lbs, in a year, lost quite a bit of hair and had complaints regarding my cycle and the dr. did nothing until I begged for help. Then he gave me a battery of thyroid tests to find out I have hashimoto's thyroditis...as do over 20% of the population of females in the US. It is one of the most commonly overlooked diseases and can cause so many problem.s

My friend used to experience the same problem. She would be in such excruciating pain around her menstrual cycle..it was unbearable for her to even stand up and make it through a work day. She went to the gyno and had some testing done. They told her it was a vein around her uterus that became inflamed during her cycle. They put her on some pain meds and sent her home. The pain continued until one weekend she couldn't stop violently throwing up and defecating. FINALLY, the ER diagnosed her with appendagitis. A gastrointestinal disorder where the appendages that line your colon become so inflamed it results in torsion (or twisting.) After a minor surgery and a 6 week recovery, the pain had finally subsided. It may not be the solution to everyone's pain, but its something to definitely consider getting checked out!

I have pain that shoots up my side like my bladder is going to explode and always happens around my period, I start to hyperventilate everytime and of course that always makes matters worse. this one time home alone I had just put my 2 year old non verbal autisitic son in the bath and bent over, got the pain, my arms went numb from hyperventilating and I thought i was going to pass out...I crawled to my phone and called an ambulance and laid on the floor until they arrived. The pain had subsided within 5 minutes and it was dulled to like an aftershock. I went with the ambulance just to be checked up and docs said it was kidney stones, now everytime I have this pain I always notice blood in my urine for the rest of the day but by the next day, nothing! The doctors only knew I had passed a stone because they had found others on the xray, if I didnt have any others they would only had guessed! 8-|

the same thing has been happening for me for the last 4 years I guess. About three years ago I woke up because of pain in my left abdominal. It was so sharp that I could barely breath and couldn't move or even talk. A few hours later my mom took me to ER and after some tests and echoscopy doctors told me I had cyst. So apparently this was my problem. But last year I went to my gynecologist and she did echoscopy again and apparently cyst is gone. And I still suffer these sharp and unbearable spasms in my abdominal. So I guess either I have cyst in my ovule again or it had nothing to do with pain in the first place. I guess I need to see doctor again cause lately pain is more than i can handle. I can't talk, can't move, can't walk and I puke constantly. I constantly miss classes. Every year it's more and more intensive. :-(

I have the strangest problem on earth. Almost 10 nights before my period starts, I wake up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain. The pain is so bad that I can barely stand. Its normally in my lower abdomen and like a gastric pain. I get relief only after having couple of tums and gas x and soon after that, I eventually unload mysel and then the pain vanishes slowlyf. It's weird cause the rest of the month I am fine with no gastric pain but only before my periods I get this pain. This has been happening for the past 4 years I guess. I don't understand why this happens!

I have excrutating pain usually the 3rd day into my period. Sometimes it has been the first day but usually it's the 3rd day. I experience the pain mainly on the right side of my pelvis. Sort of by my ovari. I double over in pain, but no matter what postion I am in I am never comfortable. I don't usually have to defecate with the pain, but the pain goes down my right leg, and slowly continues downwards until my leg is numb. I usually am unable to ambulate around. This pain lasts for maybe a half hour then subsides and continues on as a dull ache.

However, every day of every month I get a dull aching pain in my pelvis, this pain tends to favor the right side, but also seems to invade the left side from time to time. I went to my gyno and requested something be done. He suggested a Laparoscopy, which was an uncomfortable procedure afterwards, but he found something inside and did a biopsy. I am still unsure if it's endometriosis or some other kind of problem, but I am still having pain in the pelvic region, and yes on the right side. If I find anything I will update everyone incase my story has connected with anybody.

I have been having this pain too! It coincides with my menstrual cycle and bowel movements during the two weeks before, during and after. I have had 2 kids and I know pain- this is right there in severity. I read the other posts and I also have Hypothyroidism, but I am on the regime of pills. I was glad to see other people have the same experience as I now am without healthcare and can't go to th e ER, even though I thought I was going to die an hour ago. The pain is now subsiding, but I now have to explain to my coworkers why I screamed out in pain. I will be watching this blog to see if anyone finds an answer...

Hi, Exact same symptoms. I hope this helps you (sorry so long) At least read the 2nd paragraph, I have found relief :-D .

I have had lower left abdominal pain for about 5-6 years now. The first Dr. I went to in England, said it was Endometriosis, which seemed correct as I had all but one of the symptoms. MRI found a very tiny fibroid, the size of the tip of a pen, very common for ppl with Endo to have fibroids. I never went for exploratory surgery for the Endo as my Dr said he didn't recommend me to, I just lived on pain pills and suffered through it. About 3 years ago, it had gotten so bad (progressively over a long period of time) I was immobile on the couch for about 5 weeks, I was 35 at the time, and I had to crawl to the bathroom. The Obgyn gave me a shot 1x/month for 3 months to stop my period and put me in a medical menopause, I felt great once the shots started to kick in. After the last shot it took about 2 months for my period to get back to normal. Once it did and progressed to the usual heavy, crampy, painful and eventually agonizing period I was so familiar to along with painful bowel movements and constipation I was so accustom to. I was taken to the hospital, for lower left abdominal pain b/c it got so bad, totally useless as they sent me home w/ an Rx for Miralax. About 5 months of this went by, I went to the Dr. b/c it was increasingly getting worse. She ordered another MRI found the same old fibroid except now they say it's large, “oh' but it's nothing to worry about b/c lots of ppl have them." By the way you were very backed up, constipated, you should take something for that. Duh? That’s part of the problem I went to you for. I researched online and found out the shots they gave me actually cause fibroids to grow one the treatment has stopped. I tried taking Metamucil, miralax, exlax, gas-x and changed my diet, all the time on pain pills, nothing helped.
:-D Finally, I had gone to the health food store and learned about digestive enzymes :-D , I started taking Digest Gold, and for the past 6 weeks I have not had any of these problems. I am now having about 1-3 bowel movements a day, or at least almost every day. My last period was bearable, I took some aleve for only 1 or 2 of the days, I was able to go to school and work those days. I think I noticed a difference with the enzymes on about day 3 at the start of taking them. I think I paid about $45. for the bottle of 90 pills, and my local health food store is expensive you can probably find them online for cheaper. After the 2nd week I decided to add Ultimate Flora for critical colon to my regimen, and eventually a whole food multi vitamin. I am under a lot of stress at the moment as finals are coming up, and feel ready to add an exercise program to this, probably yoga. But the great news is, I am feeling better, happier more optimistic and hopeful that this was answer to all my problems. I hope you at least try the enzymes and let me know if they help you too. :-) And please if this helps spread the word online, because there are so many people suffering and so many unanswered threads on this subject I can not answer them all. The medical profession has never addressed this problem with me as w/most ppl suffering with these symptoms. My hope is to bring awareness and relief to those like us who suffer needlessly. :-D

I have similar problem. Mine lasts for a week. Crazy stomach pains that come and go. I get so worked up and stressed out about it I think it prolongs my period! I've only been having these pains for the past 3 months, but I'm sick of it! I usually sleep with a heating pad on my stomach. Definitely helps with the sharp pains

I also have sharp vaginal/abdominal pains I had my first at the age of 19 that put me in the ER by the time I arrived there the pain was almost gone and they couldn't find anything wrong... I am now 38 and have had 4 children still I have the pain which is always in between my cycle. It used to be that having sex caused it and the older I get it just comes on its own. I have been keeping track for years and it is always right in between cycles...Back in December I went back to the ER and after checking my appendix and doing a vaginal ultra sound and spending $720.00 they told my they couldn't find anything!!!!!! When I have the pain I tell my husband to go get the ibuprofen 800mg because of course I can't move I take them and usually fall to sleep when I wake up the pain is usually gone or very light....It wears me down I really wish we could all find out what the heck it is...