i posted this in the other topic, but i decided to make my own so i can hopefully get some more advice...thanks

someone please give me advice!!!

i am currently 20 years old, a young health guy, who had surgery on July 1st for an external thrombosed hemorrhoid. I have never had a real problem with hemorrhoids until one day i suddenly get an enormous amount of pain and could not walk. The next couple days I look for doctors to see, and I go see one who tells me I need to have surgery. So I got surgery....

My experience was not terrible. I had more discomfort than pain. I had a bad reaction the vicodin the day after surgery and had to go to the hospital, but i'm guessing that was either because i could not eat real food and i have a very weak stomach as it is. After that, I did not take pain killers...I was just on antibiotics...I may have taken a tylenol here or there, but not too regularly. I had a bowel movement a day or two after surgery and was able to urinate. While it was uncomfortable, and sometimes painful by putting pressure on the area, I feel like it could've been worse hearing some of the other stories.

Anyways, I took the summer to relax and recover and it was uncomfortable to walk or sit down for a while because i felt a lot of itching, which im guessing because the stitches were still dissolving. my doctor told me the wound is completely healed by now, but....

this is where i have got a lot of problems

about a month and a half ago, I started to have a lot of pain again and i could hardly walk by the end of the day. i just felt pressure and pain in the area. i live in a townhouse, so i could not walk up and down the stairs by the end of the day. i went to my doctor who told me i had an anal fissure, which was odd because i don't bleed during BM that often. i may have spots of blood, but it's never flowing or anything. and it's not regular. anyways, i just went along with what he said...and he gave me nitroglyercin. Well what happened after is that I think i had an allergic reaction or something because the entire area from my penis to my anus was extremely red and extremely itchy and painful. i could hardly walk. my doctor did not believe i was having a reaction when i told him on the phone and said some rude comments, so im not going back to him. his office is in Los Angeles, but I go to school in San Diego. As a result, I found a doctor/nurse practioner at UCSD that I went to see. I stopped taking nitroglycerin after 5 days because of the pain. When I went to see the doctor at UCSD, she told she did not see an anal fissure, but there was a fungal infection, so she gave me a powder to use. and thankfully, the infection i think has gone away for the most part...but now...

i'm having a lot of pain when i walk. it's like there is a needle just poking me in one or two spots around my anus, but not actually in it or anything. it's not where i had the hermorrhoid either. i dont' know why, but it's painful when i walk. i don't know why i'm still going through this. i don't know what's causing this, but has anyone else gone through this type of shooting pain? if so, what did you do? i'm going back to the doctor and ask what's going on. Last time i went though, she told me there were a lot of nerve endings that cause a lot of the pain during an external hemorrhoid exicision. I wonder if it is like pinch nerve or something, but please share...

Hi Still,

That sounds pretty uncomfortable.

The idea of salt baths with this operation, is to prevent infection. So make sure you are having 2 salt baths a day for that first week, and then every day after that till the rash has gone.

It sounds like to me that the rash has inflamed the nerves around your butt. The nitroglycerin is prescribed for anal fissures. SO even though she may not have seen the fissure, it could be there. So keep up the fibre intake and keep those stools soft. You tear and make it deeper... the problem gets worse.

Hope it gets better

yea i took sitz baths for the first month and a half after my surgery 3 times a day
and another reason i'm not positive i have an anal fissure is because i dont have a terrible amount of bleeding...it is not regular or very much either

thanks for help
i'd appreciate any more advice

Hi, I just read your post and I have a very similar situation, except I've had this pain for almost 3 years. I had a hemorrhoidectomy in 2007 after I had a difficult delivery. I've had a sharp shooting pain ever since, and I've seen numerous doctors including a specialist colon/rectal surgeon. No one has been able to do anything, and I am extremely frustrated. The pain gets worse the more active I am and can hardly stand a 30 minute walk. I'm only 30, and don't want to live with this the rest of my life. Recently I had a steroid injection, but that didn't help either. There was talk with a doctor to permenently kill the nerve, but was told it's not recommended because it would be hard to pin point the specific nerve and I would probably lose muscle control, which also, wouldn't be ideal.

Please let me know if you found a treatment. I've really ran out of options.

Yes, I think the pain I was having was of a fissure. The fissure comes and goes. While it's not completely healed, it's just something I have to deal with. I could get surgery for the fissure, but I'd rather not unless it gets worse. I do try to watch my diet. I have lots of fruits and vegetables everyday (or I try to...some days are better than others). Just try to keep the healthiest lifestyle for yourself to heal the wounds. Sorry about what you're going through. Let me know.

Hi- You should both go see Dr. Weiss in San Francisco.  He saved me after a terrible delivery.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Most doctors will say your pain is not possible, all in your head, blah, blah.  Good luck.

I am dying and going through the same thing. The Dr said stiches dissolve at one end and fall out. They also say you have a lot of nerves in that area . 3 weeks no activity, or very light. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the pain worse than having babies !!!!

Hi Still,

How are you doing since 5 years post op?

Is your fissure finally healed up?

I Feel the same iam on my way to 4 th months from the date of operation but i still feel the pain its needle like too. I didnt go back to my surgeon i just place hotwater bag on it..