Hi, sometimes after some physical activity I feel like I am short of breath. I am hypothyroid fro many years. Could shortness of breath be related to hypothyroidism?

Hi, my neighbor, who is hypothyroid, was also experiencing shortness of breath occasionally, although she would describe it as sense of tightness or cramping in the chest wall. Shortness of breath is a feeling of difficult breathing, or inability to provide body with sufficient amount of oxygen. It can be related to pulmonary diseases or hearth insufficiency. In hypothyroidism it can also be seen since patient is generally felling weak, fatigue, without energy, slow moving, getting weight. Body is not prepared for physical activity so shortness of breath can develop.

%-) hello iam 34 years old, female i previously diagnosed having hyperthyroidsm and after 3 years i was undergone thyroidectomy last april and after 2 months i gain weight and after series of blood chem my endocrinologist told me that i am now hypothyroid. i became obese and always feeling ill, fatigue and have a bloated abdomen. I have an abdominal pain and later found out that i have a diffuse fatty liver. Is my hypothyroidsm one of the reason of being overweight that leads to fatty liver. thank you ........

ms. confused

I c only questions with no answers.

Guest wrote:

:? hello iam 34 years old, female i previously diagnosed having hyperthyroidsm and after 3 years i was undergone thyroidectomy last april and after 2 months i gain weight and after series of blood chem my endocrinologist told me that i am now hypothyroid. i became obese and always feeling ill, fatigue and have a bloated abdomen. I have an abdominal pain and later found out that i have a diffuse fatty liver. Is my hypothyroidsm one of the reason of being overweight that leads to fatty liver. thank you ........

ms. confused

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. The function of thyroid hormone is to run the body's metabolism and people with this condition have symptoms linked with a slow metabolism.

It is seen that a decrease in levels of thyroxine in the blood, leads to loss of muscle. This causes a decrease in the basal metabolic rate of the person. This is because metabolism happens in the muscle and less muscle and muscle tone means a slower metabolism. It results in fewer calories burned in a day. Even a small loss of muscle mass in patients with just adequate metabolism, may reduce their metabolic rate enough to produce continual symptoms of unusually slow metabolism. It is observed that many hypothyroid patients struggle with the inability to lose weight.

gillie wrote:

do you take thyroxine for your hypothyroidism? Shortness of breath on exertion is a common clinical sign of too much thyroid hormone in your body. It is possible that you may be experiencing SOB as a result of an overdosing of your thyroxine.

Hiya

I have had shortness of breath on thyroxine supposedly with my 'thyroid under control'. I also started suffering from hypo myopathy so I could hardly move my diaphram to breath at rest and severe fatigue and muscle and joint pains. On top of all this I had depression. The blood tests just weren't telling the whole story, believe me there are lots of studies and good research out there about the TSH not telling the amounts of Thyroid hormones actually working on the cells. Most doctors never test for reverse T3 which occupies receptors and causes the person to feel hypo despite a blood test saying otherwise.
Most docs don't acknowledge the fact that cortisol levels affect the action of T3 in the cells either, it does, I am living proof of it.
If I had not researched on the net and found a website and forums of people suffering the same as me I may have ended up dead. Once they diagnosed me with CFS they left me to pant away and exist on painkillers and antidepressants with a nebulizer to boot.
There is a great deal needs sorting out in the way people with this illness are cared for. Most I speak to don't even get tests for thyroid antibodies, if you have thyroid antibodies the TSH is a useless test anyway. Hashimotos also causes symptoms due to the antibody activity.

I am hoping some of this info causes you to do further research into things particularly Armour thyroid hormones and possibly combination therapy with synthetic T4/T3.

Good luck
Dawnx

I am going down to the Doctor tomorrow to get every test on my Thyroid I can think of, TSH which has always come back normal, plus the T3 and Antibody test. This started 13 years ago with CFS, and for 8 years I could exercise my out of about half the symptoms, but then I lost the capacity and its been miserable ever since. Chronic neck, shoulder, back, chest pain that won't respond to massage therapy. Feeling tight chested and short of breath all the time despite good oxygen levels whether I am sitting or hiking a mountain or fast walking around the block. And yet I can't sit in a chair, or lay on my bed without feeling like I need air. They left me for 3 years sitting at home with my pain killers and a nebulizer that accomplished nothing, telling me it was my lungs, until I finally pushed for multiple pulmonary function test that came back normal, and a Lung CT that showed no sign of scaring or start of emphysema. Then I was told it was my heart, and then I passed a echo and a stress test. So here are your anti-depressants you hypochondriac was the way I was treated. If those Thyroid test come back messed up, I am going to be happy and mad at the same time. Happy because I finally have the answer to 13 years of hell I can work with, and mad because of the ignorance these Doctors showed when I would describe all those years of symptoms that are screaming a metabolic problem, but they didn't have the time to put them together, and now I have to try to recover years of lost capacity. Where's Doctor House when you need him. He might kill you by accident, but at least he doesn't give up until he knows the real problem, even if its at the autopsy.

I am also dealing with my thyroid (hypo)..I found that my levels were find in the doctors eyes. However i went to a different doctor and he said that my levels are fine however some people cant function on the higher end,that maybe im getting to much. So they took me of my thyroid meds for 5 days and put me back on a lower dose..I was on 1oomcg and now im on 88mcg..and im feeling better with the shortness of breath,and some of the other symptoms that go alonge with that..Still have shortness of breath,however its not as bad..Im still waiting the full weeks to get my levels checked..But i do feel better..Hope that helps a little. But do talk to your Doctor before you try to reduce your meds...

whitbywitchuk wrote:

Hiya

Good luck
Dawnx

I know this post is older, but I hope I can reach you to ask a couple of questions! I, like you, had to do research to find that my body was not getting the t3 like it needed. How did you finally get your "crazy" symptoms under control? I'm up to 90mg Armour and my T3 is still on the low side and my T4 on low side as well. My t3 did not increase with my last armour increase, however, my reverse t3 did slightly. I 'm so sick of this battle. I sometimes feel I have hyper symptoms, but my levels say otherwise. Any advice??

I routinely have my free t3 and free t4 checked, as well as my supressed tsh.  My current doc has been lowering my thyroid meds so much so that now I feel like c**p! TIRED, DEPRESSED, GAINING WEIGHT, HAIR LOSS, ETC.  Was told too much "could cause arrythmia, yet for years I was fine.  Time for another doctor.

In any case,  didn't do well on armor thyroid so my old doc put me on synthroid and t3 individually to better control the dose of t3.  It worked like a charm.  Ask you doc about that.

Has anyone had experience of diet change making a difference to the meds you take ?  i am hypo and my meds have been fine for years.  i started a paleo diet 3 months ago and whilst i am full of energy and definatley feel better - i am getting lots of hypo or hyper (god knows which) symptoms.   like out of breath as soon as i take my armour,   heart racing in the night, feeling anxious.   i want to believe that my meds need reducing due to my good diet but my tests still suggest im hypo so it makes no sense.   

I have taken synthroid for twenty years. The problem is that my doctor changes my dose and invariably it isn't enough and down I go into a depression, lack of motivation, low energy, poor sleep cycle and worst of all, I gain weight that is beyond stubborn to get off. I love my doctor! She's smart and very thorough but she's an internist. There aren't any endocrinologists here. I can't imagine why not. I also become very short of breath. My question is about swallowing. I feel as though I have something in my throat. Does anyone else experience these symptoms?? Plus, my insurance will not cover synthroid. They will only pay for the generic brand. Are these the same acting medications? I am very frustrated right now. My lab work the end of December showed my TSH to be well over 3.30. I am just starting to feel alive again with the increase in medication. I guess that's a lot of venting. I appreciate replies.

shortness of breathing.even I feel as I have something in my throat.
Same feeling I have. i am taking 75 mcg syntroid. before that i was taking 100 mcg... really worried.

So what was wrong with you? As i have same symptoms