i am actually writing for my dad. it's been a year and it's been hell. he was once a lively person...talk your head off. well last august, started seeing a doctor, tried many many drugs. feeling so awful, that he had about 7-8 ect's done. then we found a great doctor. she said she will help and get him out of this deep hole. she has put him on effexor (150mg), luvox (150 mg), conazpepan (sp??), cerefolin (vitamin), remeron.

He is like a zombie, can barely talk when i talk to him on the phone. no energy. we have read so many books and search on the internet aobut therapy, exercise, eating right etc. but he has no energy to do anything. tries to walk. he was not at all like this b/4 starting the drugs, and it's been a year. he got on drugs b/c he was feeling a little bad. has always battled hypoglocemia. we are at alost what to do. his doctor says he needs medicine rest of his life and she will find the right one. He is the type of person, as always been healthy his life..exercised, etc. no health problems. loved vitamins. please any advice as to what to do. should he stay until find right medicine or start weening. i think doc. will be ticked if we want get off, as she says he need a medicine. his seratonin is very very low. he doesn't work, just sits in lazy boy. tries to do chores around house but can't. lost 40 lbs over the last year. has NO appetite. forces food the last year. cannot drive, cannot make decisions as to what shirt to wear, cannot go to the grocery store. this is not the dad or man i grew up w/...totally opposite! he saw an internest yesterday and the doctor almost flipped at what he was taking. he had all kinds of test run and all came back positive.

i keep reading about the finger method. how do you do that...do you break the table to do that (i don't have the tabs in front of me. my mom gives it to him, i live out of town). can someone describe it in detail. he is on 150 mg i b've. here is my email address. anybody please feel free to email me. it has been a living hell we don't know which way to turn and just having faith in God at this time. : anything is appreciated. any advice, any confirmations that you have felt like this. it's like his life is wasting away.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Rosa: We cannot personally repsond via emails OK? But I will help you on here! First of ALL I want you to change his doctor!!! The reasons are as follows"

Effexor - is a MAJOR antidepressant - http://www.drugs.com/effexor.html - it contains Seratonin
Luvoc - is a MAJOR antidepressant - http://www.drugs.com/effexor.html - it contains Seratonin
Clonazepam - is an Anti Anxiety med - http://www.answers.com/topic/clonazepam - Medicines for depression CAN interact with this!
Cerefolin - can cause drowsiness
Remeron - Is a MAJOR antidepressant - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remeron - It contains Seratonin!!!!!! I also want you to pay SPECIAL attention to the side affects of Remeron!

So basically your poor dad has SO much Seratonin going into his body and each of these pills can cause lethargy, dizziness, weight loss etc. Also there is a thing called Serotonin Syndrome! HOWEVER: your dads symptoms are opposite to what the symptoms of SS are!

Basically your poor dad is STONED out of his mind! And I want you to find a new doctor, depending on how old your dad is he could see a Geriatric Doctor! You want your dad to be "normal" not a zombie! Unfortunately in this day and age, there are MANY MANY older people who are just pumped with pills to basically keep them quiet! I am NOT saying that this doctor is doing this, BUT ALL of these antidepressant he is on, can actually increase depression and lack of response to life!!!

Take a look at the side effects of each of these drugs, in particular Remeron! Print them off and take them to YOUR pharmacist! Ask him/her what they think about ALL of these combinations your dad is on! IT is VERY rare that pharmacists actually question what a doctor has perscribed! YET they do, do it! And have saved thousands of lives questioning. So if you take the names and the dosage tot hem, they can punch it in to there computers - which shows red alerts to interactions - tell them your dads symptoms, and see what they say. IF they come out with the same view as I do, follow through with finding someone different OK? Please let me know if I can help further and I wish you and your dad Good health and luck! Please keep me informed OK?

wow, thank you! i appreciate your time very much. my dad is 65. this doctor supposed to be awesome, here. She is a geriatric doctor. my mom spoke to her yesterday, she is decreasing one. her view is she does opposite of other doctors; in that she floods w/ medicine at first (where as other doctors go slowly). i know that is alot, and prob w/ just one, i would be knocked out. i am glad you gave me the advice, will try it. thanks so much

i am in a hurry heading to church. but my mom and i are just trying to decide if we should take him off everything . someitmes it think he may not need any medicine...but a year ago, he went into the office b/c he was not feeling well. sometimes i think, maybe he was just lacking in somcehting that a health (vitamin) doctor could help him with. yes, he is a zombie and that's b/c of the meds, and he may just need a medicine. but he has been going to another doctor b/4 her who tried prob. 10 diff medicines in 8 months, gave him ect's. then we found this doctor. she is really stern, talks like well educated about this and we have her cell number and can call her anytime and she answers.. she really wants to get him well, but yes, i do not like the idea of all those meds. none of us do. even dad keeps saying its too much. we tried decreasing b/4 w this doctor right when starts seeing her, she just kept him on ativan weening him and my mom got so scared as she thought dad was dying he had so much anxiety pacing contantly. so when we wnet back to dr susan, she said we gone get him well. he so in the hole, that will take a long time, prob. a year. she said if he had seen her a year ago b/4 he got really bad while seeing the other doctor, she could have helped him quicker. thanks for listening.

Hi! DO NOT I repeat NOT take him off these drugs without medical direction! Each of these drugs have addictive qualities too them and your dad could be in danger if you cut off everything! I want you to REALLY talk to this doctor about taking your dad down to 1 depressent and 1 anti anxiety - plus the Bvitamin (which is good for stress and anxiety) Also do what I first said and ask your pharmacist to take a look at the list! Even though she is a geriatric Doctor, they CAN'T know ALL the interactions between each and every drug! See what the pharmacist says OK? Then tommorrow get intouch with her about your concerns! Goo dluck and health to you and your dad!

bambi, thanks. she took him off of one of the anitdep (either the luvox or eff.) i have to dble check w/ mom. thank you so much for keeping in touch. yes, i really like the idea of 1 anti and 1 anxiety). i am not sure why she has him on all. i know they do this if you put someone in the hospital...they flood you w/ alot of medicines to see which one is right for you. she said he really needs to go into the hospital but he is begging to not. so she is doing as much as she can while keeping him at home. i b've he is on fish oil. i read alot of fish oil and omega 3 is very good. have you been through the route of finding the right medication for you, or are you off of all. it's a tough road!

Hello! I am NOT a doctor honey, BUT I find it unbelievable that someone would be PUMPED with pills in order for them to figure out "which one is right!!!!!" That doesn't make sense to me! My dad was rushed to hospital in April! He was on SO many pills they took him off EVERYTHING! And one by one put him back on one of the pills or tried another! They kept watching his blood and monitoring him to see if they need to change this or that! They still tweak it here or there! My dad too refused to go into a special home!

Omega Oils are FANTASTIC for the brain! The brain needs oils/fats to function optimally! And they shouldn't interact with his meds! HERBS however can! So just be careful with those OK?

Is your dad BiPolar or Manic Depressive? What is going on with your dad?

he is not bipolar or manic. he has been hypolgocemia for a very long time. he never started trying mediciation until about 1 year ago, then just fell into this hole. when he first strarted trying, he was w/ another doctor and they would try different ones, nothing helped and then dad wanted ects. for hthe past year, he really has not head one day of relief of the "fog" he is talking about. he said he can't concentrate, confused, cant make decisions. well, i know b/c one reason on all this miedication. he took vitamins his entire life, and kind of a vit. attic. My mom and i kept telling him he was on too many. he would always be tired...so i think that's why, all those vitamins. then he did 2 colon cleansers in a matter of a month or two apart (and you are supposed to do that year apart, or so. he could have killed himself) i think that just sent him into feeling so bad, so then he went see doctor who put him on an antidepressant. he has no energy to do anything. everything is a chore...folding clothes, taking out garbage. he hasn't driven for a year.

and glad your dads medicine is under control!

Actually Rosa: Something just came to my mind! Because your dad was a vitamin addict! Do you think he is still popping vitamins?!! Does his new doctor know his problem with vitamins? Take a look at this link below it is REALLY interesting! And MIGHT just connect the dots for your dad! Your dad sounds JUST like mine - STUBBORN!! and self medicating! SO Just like your dad, my dad pops 1 or 2 anitbiotics - because "That should do the trick!!!!!!" 8-| o.O Or takes asprin and tylenol on top of the other pills etc. So you just never know, ask you doctor for her to do a full blood check up on him regarding the vitamins especially! IF your dad hasn't been diagnosed with any certain mental illness, then there COULD be something to Vitamin Toxicity!!!!!

http://www.lifesteps.com/gm/Atoz/ency/vitamin_toxicity.jsp

first, thank you so much for reading my story and replying, i really do appreciate it, as we are at a loss. we defn, think he started "feeling" bad b/c of all the vitamins he used to take, ...so then that's why he went to a psychiatrist. my husband called it his "tackle" box. my dad is a pp pleaser. he listens and b'ves everyone. he hears somebody talking about this vitamin for this or this one for that, and he would added to his list of vitamins to take. i think in the beginning it was more of a prevention thing (an energy vit, one for this, one for that)...and i am thinking maybe he started to feel so bad w/ all of them, that's why he went to a doctor. b/c my parents are not "doctor" pp, they do not like taking medicine, if they don't have to (no one really does!)

we are just so scared at this point b/c he is so in the hole. scared if he gets off a medicine, he will go back to "feeling bad". he is not on any vitamins. he is just on a supplement i b've....as all this medicine just drains certain things out of you. he is seeing a health doctor, known to really help pp. i forgot her title. but she muscle tests you and also tests the vitamins you take to see if they are really working. she has helped many pp w/ cancer, dep, etc. ....he went last week. she said stay on what the doctor says, but did give him something what his body was lacking and he sees her next week. i b've his adrenal glands are just shot! but very good question, i question all the time, ...i have been on the computer so much just to find a story of someone similar to my dad's, just to have hope. i know our only hope is trust in God, and we have to let some things go (but still do our part). it's just sad to see he can't do anything. he is like a 3 year old at times if you know what i mean. he can hold a conversation and give advice, but just nothing makes him happy he says. he would die for my children. he loves children and babies, people....now he can barely play w/ them b(the children) /c of his energy level...so so unlike him!! But the doctor did take him off luvox and remeron. he is still on effexor, canazapam, serafolin (?), ativan

RU TOTALLY sure he is NOT taking any other vitamins?

Has anyone mentioned Electric Shock Therapy for him? This is used for severely depressed people with great outcomes, I'm just worried that with all these pills - even though it sounds like the docotrs have his best interest in mind - that perhaps it is just aggravating the situation.

Is the doctor your dad seeing a Geriatric Doctor?

There has to be something that is connected here! And if he is severely depressed - which definitely sounds like that! Perhaps shock therapy is the way to go!

he tried that!. had about 7-8 of them. the doctor said she can put him on more, for faster treatment, but my mom can't put him through it again. he doesn't really want to either. you have hit on alot, thank you so so much. it's just a mystery. i keep tawing back and forth that maybe he doesn't need medicine at all, maybe he not depressed...it's just that all the vitamins and now anti dep have him out of wack. my mom does feel though that he needs something.

back in the 80's he would have not energy. he did a hypoglocemia test, they shorted him a couple of hours (supposed to be around a 7 hr test), so they saw nothing wrong and the doctor put him on valium. after a couple of years, he had to get off. my mom and then checked him into a hospital to get him off valium; insurance was "supposed to pay", but they did not rely to what they said, only paid some and left my parents w/ a $20.000.00 bille.

once he was out of the hospital, they were friends w/ owner of health food store. she said, it sounds like all your symptoms are hypoglocemia. he started eating write and immed. felt better. he would have bouts every now and then when he would slide and eat sweets., but now it's20 year later. so hard to say, was it really hypoglocemia or something. but he was always a lively person, never depressed. the life of the party. everyone loves my dad. talkative, funny. never drank, drugs, smoked, etc. he was sometimes a little minor hypochondriac. (in last few years....start worry if a pain was something else. it's so mind boggling!

So has he had his blood sugars tested recently?!!!!!

And your story is EXACTLY why I hope EVERY American stands up and demands Public Healthcare like we have in Canada! It's not the best and does need improving, but I will NEVER be 20,000 in debt for medical reasons!!!!!

Has your dad seen an Internest? A doctor that deals with ALL the body and ALL the drug they are on! IF he has had Electric shocks and they didn't work, he needs someone to look at his WHOLE body not just his mind! I agree there's something very baffiling here isn't there!? I will do some more reasearch for you and try and see if I can come up with something different!

Hi again! I've done quite a bit of research UNFORTUNATELY virtually every site I click on is ALL about "buy my book to find out how to cure this etc" I cannot give you these links - under our Supporter Rules! So I've copied one for you and just edited out some of the information regarding whom and where frome

Hypoglycemia and Depression

In his studies of twelve-hundred hypoglycemic patients, ... found that 86 percent were depressed. More recently, positron emission tomography (PET) scans have verified that glucose metabolism is often reduced in the brains of patients suffering from depression.
.

Symptoms of Hypoglycemia and Depression

HYPOGYLCEMIA DEPRESSION
Nervousness Nervousness
Irritability Irritability
Exhaustion Exhaustion
Faintness -----
Cold Sweats -----
Depression Depression
Drowsiness Drowsiness
Insomnia Insomnia
Constant Worrying Constant Worrying
Mental Confusion Mental Confusion
Rapid Pulse Rapid Pulse
Internal Trembling Internal Trembling
Forgetfulness Forgetfulness
Headaches Headaches
Unprovoked Anxieties Unprovoked Anxieties
Digestive Disturbances -----

This is another site ALL about advertising a book, BUT it is VERY interesting regarding similar symptoms that your dad is experiencing! So read it through - DON'T buy the book ;-) And just see if it fits OK?

http://www.authorviews.com/authors/bennett/obd.htm