New Reply New Topic Followed by 14 people

Hello. Almost three weeks ago I had surgery to correct a bunion and two hammer toes. The doctor pinned the hammertoes and placed a PLASTER cast around the front half of my foot. I am wearing a surgical shoe. He said the pins and cast have to stay on for at least 5 weeks! However, all the literature I have read indicate that no cast is needed and that the pins can be removed anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks after surgery (4 weeks seems to be the most common). Is my doctor being overly conservative???? Please let me know your experience if you have had a similar procedure. Thank you!

Thank you for your post. I will be getting my surgery done 8 June the same bunion and hammertoe. Please continue to post your progress. I am a bit nervous, but have complete faith in my doctor. I'm a bit concerned about the "pin" thing. Please post when you get it removed.
I'm not a great fan of pain medication, however I will use mine faithfully--at least that first week, for sure.

When I was 17 I had hammer toe correction, bunion removal, and gastroc lengthening done on both feet/ legs. My doctor had me do one at a time due to the pain factor. I am not here to dissuade anyone from having surgery... but you SHOULD NOT have this surgery for cosmetic reasons. I had a few complications and went under the knife with a top surgeon and a team of residents. My surgeon was EXCELLENT and checked with me numerous times over to make certain that I was not only doing this for cosmetic purposes. My problem was that I am a 6'1 female basketball player and i was suffering from horrible foot pains and chronic ankle spraining. Now, 7 years later, I am doing REALLY well. I have undergone knee surgery, hip surgery, ENT surgery, concussions, and broken bones... NO pain has compared to this surgery. I spent one month for each leg in a plaster cast and at 6 weeks had the pins from my feet removed (in office with no pain meds). Then it was a total of 6 months physical therapy. My scars for the bunion removal are hardly noticeablel however, the gastroc lengthening and hammer toe corrective scars are fairly noticeable. I also have lost all sensation beginning about 3 inches above my ankle and extending down the outisde of my foot. OVERALL, the surgery for me was worth it. Feet are ugly. It distresses me to see so many girls wearing stilettos and pointy-toed shoes for these women will all be requiring surgery just to walk in their 40s. I wish anyone who chooses to go forward with the surgery all the best. I just hope and pray that my hard work has paid off and I will not have to go under the knife again. God bless.

I HAD HAMMERTOES SURGERY FOOT IS STILL RED

my surgery was on my right foot 2nd 3rd and fourth toes and my 2nd toe from my big toe is still swelling and my surgery was in june if any one know what will help please e-mail me with the answer[/list][

Had bunion surgery and 4 hammertoes. 1 pin in my big toe and 3 screws in the long bone of my big toe. I am currently in my 6th of 8 weeks of no weight bearing. I wear a half cast(back half of my old fiberglass cast) and elastic bandages. It is comfortable, and much cooler. The pin slid right out when the doctor pulled! I never even felt it. The stitches however, were a bit painful, especially the ones under my toes. Don't know where I am going from here, but, it's one (sorry) step at a time!

hi i just had hammertoe surgery 2 weeks ago . i am doing very well hardly no pain still have a little swelling this procedure was done on my third toe i had tiny incision on top of toe also front part my doctor used a pin that disolves 3 to six weeks may longer so i don't have to have him remove anything, but for eight weeks i have to wear a toe brace to help it stay in place till pins disolve but overall i am pleased! :-D :-D :-D

I had bunion removal on both feet, and a hammer toe correction on both feet 2 1/2 weeks ago. Im up walking normally, no cast just special shoes and a support on each foot(i did have a bandage on each foot for 2 weeks which have now been taken off). The pain was on the first two days afterwards but if you keep talking your cocodamol the pain is very slight. No where near as bad as i was told by my surgeon. My feet look completley normal and i have no pain anymore when walking around. Im very glad i had the surgery. i would have been off work in total for 4 weeks. Good luck to anyone who has it done!!! well worth it!!!

Hi, one and all fellow members of the bunion and hammertoe removal community!  I had surgery involving pins just 2 weeks ago today,  and was seen as an outpatient but stayed at the hospital overnight, since my surgery took longer than expected.  I was only in pain and on a pain medication in the hospital.  Upon discharge, less than 24 hrs after the surgery, I only took extra strength Tylenol.  While my first day after surgery was a bit painful, I opted not to take the Oxycotin that was prescribed and toughed it out.  On Monday, the 16th, I  went to the podiatrist and he removed the fiberglass cast and xrayed my left foot  and toes.  I was recasted again and no pains were removed.  I was sent home and told to return this Monday, May 23rd and am looking forward to either another cast, or in the alternative, a boot...I want the boot for so many reasons.  I want to walk again, but never in those high high one hour shoes!  Good luck to you all and know that trust your doctor and yourself.

It's been four weeks since my bunion and hammertoe surgery.  The bunion is healing fine, but the hammertoe is terrible!!!  It is swollen and numb.  Feels like tight strings on either side of the toe that get tighter as the day goes on. The ball of the foot is sore and painful to put pressure on, so I am walking wierd, and my knee is starting to give me trouble.  I seem to have a hard nodule near the joint of that second toe both on top and on the bottom of the foot.  Lots of swelling and poor circulation.  I would NOT do the hammertoe again.  It wasn't painful, or causing me any trouble.  I have an appt today with the doctor, and have questions....but problem is, the damage is done now.  I am a dancer, and I hear of people returning to dancing in three months, and I fear I may never dance again.  Why do some surgeries turn out so horrid???  Anyone further along with this surgery who can give m a glimer of hope??

dvoigt wrote:

Six weeks post-op for my bunion and hammertoe surgery. Very discouraged. No weightbearing for another four weeks...hammertoe is the worst though, the tight string sensation is there. It also kind of feels numb. I would like to hear from someone who had the same sensation and if it is gone now.

I'm at seven weeks, first 6 non weight-bearing. I'm walking in a "boot" with one crutch, or without at home as long as I can. My heal hurts - I guess from not putting weight on it for 6 weeks...? I am also having the tight string sensation. Really bugs me. (That's what I was doing this search for so am actually glad to see I'm not alone!) Dr. today said its scar tissue and swelling. I sure hope it goes away with PT and getting mobility back!

typingfool wrote:

dvoigt wrote:

Hope you are doing better at this point. I am eight months out and still experience the tight string sensation around my hammertoe. My big toe was shortened too much so I cannot walk barefoot now without discomfort :( Very scared to have the other foot done, but may be forced into it faster than I want due to insurance changes...

It's been 11 months - My big toe joint is still pretty stiff. And sometimes the further back in that bone where the screws are gets sore. My second toe (hammer toe) is all but useless. They straightened it with tendons so it doesn't bend at all and is pulled down kind of like when you get a cramp in your toes. I still have that string sensation but mostly only when I have shoes on. I'll admit I haven't continued to do my exercises very well after finishing 12 weeks of PT the end of May. Occasionally feels like the neuroma is coming back. I guess that happens...

Just to add that bunions are not caused by the shoes you wear but rather are an inherited condition. I have two daughters one of whom has no problems with her feet despite often wearing very fashionable high shoes. My second daughter has always worn flat shoes, boots or trainers as she is sporty, yet her feet are showing signs
of bunions just as mine did at her age.
I have recently had surgery for a bunion and a hammertoe. Fortunately I was treated by an excellent surgeon in a first rate hospital. Although I am still recovering I am very pleased to have had the treatment as my foot was causing me increasing problems. But I do own up to being delighted at the appearance of my new foot as it looks beautifully neat and perfect. The surgeon did not make any promises regarding the final look of my foot just that I would find it easier to buy footwear. So the appearance of my new foot is a delightful and added bonus that has cheered
me up no end.