IF YOU HAVE ANY TYPE OF MEMORY FOAM PILLOW, MATTRESS TOP OR FULL ON MEMORY FOAM BED IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK!

I have spent more money on Doctors, pills, creams. tests and trying to convince everyone I was not crazy because of the illnesses that I
got from this bed and pillows. It started with itching, hives, rash and swollen face and neck to the point my throat was closing up.
I also had headaches, body and neck pain, stiff joints, swollen feet and hands, swollen trigger finger, ringing in my ears, dry skin and major respitory problems including thrush on my tongue and being dianosed with reversible ischemia.

I was then diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on synthroid. At the same time I was diagnosed I also changed my bedding because I still believed the memory foam pillow top and pillow had something to do with it. My husband didn't believe it even thou he had broke out in hives and his lips had swelled up a few time over a course of one year. He thought it was from working outside and having reactions to bug bites he would get while working in woody areas.
Once I removed them from my bed my symptoms started to gradually go away. I was never sure if it was from my thyroid meds or removing the bedding that helped me get back to normal.............until now.

My daughter loved the feel of the pillow top we had and wanted one put on her new queen bed a year after all this happened to me.
I guess the memory of my problems had faded so I bought her one for her birthday, she has broke out in light hives a few times over the last 4 months but I did not think anything of it and benadryl quickly took care of it. Well 2 weeks ago she was all congested and it ended up that she had an over growth of candida (yeast) in her throat and a bacterial infection.

The Proof: 3 nights ago my 13 year old daughter walked into our bedroom crying, I turned on the light and she was LOADED with red welts all over her neck and entire torso and feet! She was itching and gasping for air...freaking out. I immediatly gave her Benadryl and got her in the shower and scrubbed her from head to toe, with in 22 minutes the hives subsided and she was fine. Needless to day she slept with me that night and I stripped her entire bed, threw everything out and cleaned her room from head to toe and bought all new bedding with everything being made in the US (which was very hard to find). The clencher was last night. She found her little black cat stuffed animal that I forgot had been sitting on her bed daily and she kissed it...20 minutes later her lip was swelled up like a balloon! The cat was last to go but confirmed the memory foam from china had made us all sick!

Note: We live in a beautiful, clean home and have always eaten only organic non processed foods so we are 200% convinced that these high priced piece's of garbage memory foam made our family very ill. PLEASE BEWARE FOR HEALTHS SAKE!

i am wondering if there have been any class action suits filed against tempurpedic by those who have suffered from allergies or illnesses from the memory foam mattresses?

Huh. I just got a new IKEA memory foam mattress a month or two ago, and I've been having allergies whenever I'm in my room. I also get Fall allergies/Hayfever, and I've been waiting and waiting for the first frost (I live in Michigan) and it was... two weeks ago.

So, I was very confused my Fall allergies hadn't gone away. Then I realized it was even stranger, because I only get them while in my room. Washed everything, cleaned everything, but the allergies are still there. I was aware that it's normal for these mattresses to smell a bit, mine doesn't really, but I figured I'd google allergy to memory foam.

I'm no doctor, but I'm not sure if memory foam itself is an allergen. My guess is that you tend to sweat more at night on a memory foam mattress, and common household allergens like dust mites and mold grow on the surface of the foam.

I am, however, an expert Googler (what is wrong with our society... ah well.) and I found that memory foam/polyurethane, being flammable, is treated with a fire retardant, which is often PBDE. The stuff is pretty scary. It builds up in your body like arsenic or lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBDE

It's also dangerous to the developing brains of mammals. So pregnant women and children should probably be kept away.

Quote:

Mattress manufacturers use glues to bond the inner layers...

...The long-term health effects that may occur after prolonged exposure to Volatile Organic Content (VOC) found in Adhesive/Glue solvents include cancers, damage to the heart, liver, central nervous system and kidneys.

Quote:

Biological Monitoring - Is memory foam safe?
Clinical evaluations conducted by Duke University; Source ATSDR - Public health advisory Public Health Implications: The exact amount of TDI required to cause adverse health effects is unknown. People have become sensitized after being exposed to as little as 20 parts per billion (ppb). After sensitization there is no amount of TDI that one may be exposed to safely. Studies have shown that in sensitized individuals, asthmatic attacks can occur after exposed to TDI air concentrations as low as 0.1 ppb.

Testing Results: Of 113 participants tested, 10 participant (9%) developed antibodies.

However, it should be noted that the above site sells its own mattresses, and so should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't bother to verify the sources it referenced, and if I know the Internet, people often make them up.

So, bottom line: there's possibly a very small risk of your memory foam mattress killing you. Keep it away from kids and pregnant women. And probably old people. But keep in mind pretty much everything kills you, and reactions to memory foam do seem rare, even though I have mild ones so it sucks for me :(

In response to class action lawsuit: Not that I am aware of.

But, Isn't our job as consumers to research the product we're buying before we buy it? I was well aware of off-gassing of memory foam mattresses. I didn't know they were an allergen, but I'm not surprised. It's a company's job to sell products. It's our job as consumers to not believe a single word those lying sh*t sacks say in advertising and marketing, until we see it backed by 15 double-blind studies, and not the BS ones linked on their websites, but peer-reviewed articles and such. I mean, if companies are allowed to sell margarine with trans fats and aspartame which one study showed was dose-dependent and almost linear with cancerous growth of the... EVERYTHING, I see nothing wrong with people selling memory foam mattresses with might make a few people sick.

Besides, some class action lawsuits end up paying out like $5 per person. I wouldn't even make a website for it unless I knew I was getting at least $10,000 in a settlement.

I thank goodness for the internet and for concerned consumers that write reviews about their experiences with products and services. I have had the same "allergy" symptoms that the folks who listed the crazy allergy symptoms in this thread have had: lymphnodes swelling, dry throat, hives all over my neck, red swollen, leaky eyes, skin cracking and bleeding around my eyes, skin peeling constantly, and problems opening eyes. I have never had symptoms like this in my life. It has been absolutely miserable for me and am grateful that a friend figured out the problem relatively early and at a very low expense to me.

I bought my Tempur-Pedic pillow on Sept. 25, 2009 and am still recovering from the side effects of buying a pillow that was supposed to provide my neck relief. I refused to pay a co-pay and see a doctor about my symptoms that began immediately after I bought the pillow as I have had bad experiences with doctors misdiagnosing me and don't have the money to spend on co-pays and medications that wouldn't work anyway, or to be misdiagnosed, which is exactly what would have happened in this case. People suspected that maybe my body was changing and I was experiencing new allergies due to the environment or air or something.

Two weeks later, after benadryl at night and loratadine during the day, a co-worker asked me if I had changed anything. I said no. He asked if I had changed my pillows. That's when I realized that had to be it. His wife had gone through the same thing. Another co-worker had a friend who worked at Discount Mattress who claimed she had customers coming in to complain about their allergic symptoms after buying a Tempu-Pedic mattress/pillow as well. After getting rid of it, the hives on my neck disappeared after two weeks, my face has pretty much gone back to normal. I am currently still experiencing dry skin around my eyes, but that's it. That was one of the worst experiences I have had in my life. I'm a server and an actor, and I couldn't audition or work due to how bad my face and looked.

I have filed with the Health Commission about Tempur-Pedic and have since returned the pillow to the Healthy Back store without any hassle. The same sales girl did the refund and freaked when she saw my condition. I understand that not everyone experiences these crazy symptoms upon purchase and use of a Tempur-Pedic pillow/mattress, however, there is enough of us out there where there should be some type of massive allergy warning on the side of the pillow box and/or on the tags attached to the product in large bold screaming type. Sales associates should also warn of these possible side effects, but they won't because that would put Tempur-Pedic in a bad light and sales would drop.

Despite consumers out there that do not get physically effected the way we have, who knows what else these toxic foams could be doing to humans long term?

I recently purchased a memory foam topper from Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. I've used a memory foam pillow on/off and never had a problem with it, but after using the memory foam topper for a week or so I started getting a bad rash all over my body, like eczema. Since its a rash I bought some claritin to help with the itching, but I stil woke up at night with severe itching, worse than I had during the day. The embarrassing part of the rash is that in some places it looks like I'm scratched up from a fight, but it was from itching - most notably on my forehead and arms!!! Thankfully I found this site and saw all the same symptoms from other people and I"ll be removing the mattress topper tonight to see how everything is ... I have a feeling its the memory foam. The crazy thing about it all is that I'm generally a very healthy person in the sense that I do not get sick, I don't generally have abnormal aches and pains, I maybe get a cold in the winter - thats about it. I can wear latex gloves, I can pet cats and then touch my eyes, I don't have any known food allergies ... but I think the topper is causing this. I'll be calling walmart about this to get my $120 back ... I feel fortunate that I went for a cheap brand vs an expensive one to start with!

I bought a Tempur-pedic mattress. From the very first night I felt like I was being drugged, the sleep was not restful and I awoke more tired than when I went to bed. I began to have flu-like symptoms which got worse. Within two weeks I was so ill I almost couldn't go to work. I sneezed at work and got a nose bleed. Hadn't had one in years.

My symptoms were nausea, headache, mental confusion, lack of energy. I googled on toxic fumes and Tempur-pedic and a number of websites popped up with similar stories. Engineers in the field call it the "Chemical Flu." It is known, but the public doesn't know about it.

Some people, such as myself, react strongly to the VOC's emitted by these mattresses. I feel lucky that I reacted so quickly and returned it. With the mattress out of the house, I am getting better every day. However, I wonder about people who don't react so quickly. They may not be able to make the connection that the new mattress they bought is what is making them ill. Six months later, are they diagnosed with Fibromyalsia or Chronic Fatigue syndrome?

I am only posting this for one reason. Please be aware that that this type of mattress does emit toxic fumes. BE AWARE!

My kid was actually treated by the allergist (NAET system) after he slept on our new bed. He had gotten a rash, asthma and bad mood swings after he slept on there for three nights--but not full nights, figure about 3-4 hours each time. I've been waking up with migraines, my husband's moods have changed, has any independent lab done a study of the chemicals they use to produce the darned thing?

Yes, there is a list of the off-gassing chemicals in a book titled, "Toxic Bedrooms, Your Guide to a Safe Night's Sleep." The author is Walter Bader. Not only does the book list the VOC's, it provides links to the CDC, explains the regulations (lack of) regarding what can be in mattresses.

I personally had to return the Tempurpedic mattress we purchased because I became so ill within two weeks of breathing it's fumes that I have been to the doctor for complete blood work. For many this type of mattress is deadly.

I went to Sleepy's where I picked up the mattress and well, Tempurpedic has a fee for returning the mattress. Anyway, I can't wait until it's out of my house--it's gonna cost me about $700 to get rid of the thing. UGHGHGH!!!! But at least I won't have it anymore.

It cost us to return the Tempurpedic mattress as well. But it is worth it, just to get it out of your home. We just got a completely organic mattress delivered today. Once I got educated on what is in most newly manufactured mattresses, we couldn't buy anything we couldn't be sure wasn't full of poly foam, or sprayed with fire retardant. Best of luck.

I posted a note on 02/03/10 - 11:09 and just before I broguht the topper back I started sleeping on my couch bed (which is, in fact, fairly comfortable!) ... I then brought the topper back, bought a pillow topper for my existing mattress, and continued to sleep on the couch bed with the pillow topper for a week while I let my bedroom air-out. It took a week or two but all symptoms and marks from the rash disappeared along with any side affects from the memory foam topper. Just wanted to post a follow up after getting rid of the topper as many people don't ... tempurpedic is dangerous, I hope people looking into it read this first!

Good Lord. I am SO happy to be reading that I am NOT the only one having an allergic reaction to my Tempurpedic mattress. Let me start off by saying that I am generally a highly allergic person. I have done all types of tests and I have many food allergies, environmental allergies, and I am even lactose, fructose, and sucrose intolerant. All of that being said, what I have experienced since I bought my Tempurpedic mattress has actually been extremely frustrating because the bed itself has been working very well for my back/nerve pain (I have bulging thoracic and lumbar discs) but it has clearly been making me sick.

For those of you who aren't sure whether this bed has been making you sick, here are my symptoms (which are similar to a couple of other posts but don't include the typical skin rash symptons). My hope is that I can help others to identify whether they are reacting to the mattress so that they don't go through months of agony before realizing what is going on!

- I would sleep 8+ hours but wake up feeling more tired than when I fell asleep
- I would wake up achy, as if my body is trying to fight a flu. The achy feeling got worse over time. At the beginning it was just muscle aches, as if I had run a marathon, but then it eventually felt like I had the flu every morning.
- I consistently had a stomach ache that felt like an acid build up in my stomach. The stomach ache would go away within 5 minutes of getting out of bed in the morning.
- As things progressed (ie. 2+ months), I began to feel like I had a sore throat when I woke up, very similar (if not identical) to acid reflux. This would go away 5-10 minutes after getting out of bed.
- As things progressed (ie. 2+ months), I noticed that my body would react to the mattress if lying on it for only 5-10 minutes with my son. I'm guessing it was because I became more reactive from an allergic perspective.

Fortunately for me I can still return my mattress. What absolutely SUCKS is that I don't know what I will be able to buy that will relieve my nerve pain like this has but CLEARLY the mattress has to go back.

Speaking of which, has anyone found anything similar in terms of pressure reduction that doesn't cause allergies? I'm investigating latex right now, as it seems like a good solution for people with allergies, but I am quite certain that it doesn't relieve pressure as well as the Tempurpedic due to its "bounce back" property, as this property tends to cause some pressure on its own.

I hope this post helps others. I HAVE NOT been paid to write this post and I DO NOT work for a mattress company - this is my true/actual experience.

Thanks for everyone's help and insight,
Jeremy

I am going through issues tight now. Get tix of your tempurpedic. Can cause asthma arthritis nervous disorders and memory loss. Made of petroleum based substance. Releases hydrocarbons. Can also lower your immune system. I started out with the cases and itching then got a number of other issues.

My email is if you have any other questions

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Howdy

jus thought i'd pipe in here. i recently bought a mid-low priced memory foam mattress and 2 memory foam pilliows for me n the missus. i noticed almost immediately that when i slept on the mf pillow i would wake up the next morning very blocked up, especially nasal. we also have 2 normal pillows and i have no problems with them, infact if i sleep with a normal pillow ontop of the mf one i am fine.

the last couple of nights i have been sleeping without the anti-allergy mattress protector i bought with it and have found myself having a lot of problems sleeping (even given the heatwave round here lately). my assumption is that i must be at least mildly allergic to some part if the memory foam chemical make-up (i also have problems with pollen, dust and some cats), no rashes or anything though but i never get them.

anyway it seems that an anti-allergy mattress protector is sufficient for me, i would advise anyone concerned about allergies to consider the same thing as an option.

btw the mattress is propa-comfy, complete foam not one of the sprung things. glad i can work around this problem cos i would hate to part with it, although the missus would probably jus tell me go sleep on the sofa instead!!!

hope this helps