For about the past 6 months, when I take time to settle down and try to go to sleep I am often kept up by a persistent slight gagging sensation in my throat. I don't actually gag, but it feels as if I'm going to gag, This may not seem so bad but I have a deep fear of vomiting(I haven't actually vomited in over 10 years) so this is quite a problem for me and it usually keeps me up until the point where I'm unable to stay up any longer and just crash.

I don't know if I can explain much more... I try to drink some water because at times it feels as if something is in my throat when I swallow but that doesn't help. It usually happens every 30 seconds are so whenever I'm laying down... and when I'm laying down is when it is the worst. More specifically when I am laying on my side.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what this is/ or could be... or if this is something I'm going to have to learn to deal with. I tend to be a hypochondriac so if I find that this isn't anything to be concerned perhaps it may ease some of my stress.

I have just been googling the same kind of symptoms and found your post from last year. Over the past few days i too have been having a slight gagging sensation in the back of my throat and it's starting to annoy me. My throat feels thick and feels like there is some mucous stuck there but there isn't. It gets worse while i'm eating and have been unable to swallow properly because i feel as though i'm going to gag. Like you, i too have a fear of vomiting (haven't vomited for 9 years) so this presents a big problem for me. I thought it was dehydration so have been drinking lots of water but it's still there. Hope someone out there has some information on what it could be.

It all depends on how your stomach behaves after the meals and at night, but there is a big chance that you might be suffering from strong stomach acid reflux or GERD. In this condition stomach acid rises up all the way to back of your throat and of course, because it is acid, irritates tissue along its path. Antacids should help you temporarily, but you’ll need to see a doctor so he can do the tests and prescribe you better medications than the ones you can get over the counter. And avoid food that causes overproduction of acid like fatty or fried foods, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion… etc. And sleep on elevation so the acid doesn’t reach back of your throat when you sleep.

Hey!
Okay, for the past 2 days, I have had a gagging sensation too!
My parents seem to think it is phlegm caught at the back of my throat, because my dad says he has had this too.
I am also a HUGE hypochondriac, and I too have a terrible fear of throwing up. At times it seems as if this fear is manipulating my life. So, being a hypochondriac and all I had to look this up to see if anyone else had this common problem. I know for me that this is most likely due to dryness in my throat, but I always like to help others get over there fears, especially if they too are hypochondriacs, and won't settle down until their problems are answered.

Because it has been 2 years since you posted this question, my assumption is that your problem has subsided. So, my answer is for all of those people out there who are suffering from the same problem, and too are hypochondriacs.

1) You, like me, have phlegm caught in the back of your throat. You can either try to cough it up, or just wait for a few days and it will hopefully subside. If after a 3-5 days you are still suffering, you should try to cough it up.
2) Something else is either caught on your uvula (the hanging ball at the back of your throat) or, something has scraped the back of your throat, leaving you with a sensation that something is there. If something is caught on your uvula, its either saliva or phlegm, as nothing else could possibly hold on. Try to avoid thinking about it, and you won't feel this gagging sensation. Coughing will just make the matter worse, so I wouldn't recommend you do this in this particular situation. If you have the sensation that something is there, and there is a scrape, all you need to do is wait for it to pass. Keep hydrated.

It could also be post nasal drip in your case, as at night time when you lie down, the water drips down from your nose to the back of your throat, giving it a ticklish/gagging sensation. This sometimes happens to people who have allergies to certain weather conditions, like me. However in my situation, it happens all day. The last reason is, you could simply just be getting a cold. Nothing you can do to cure it, you just need to ride it out.

Wow... 10 years! Thats pretty amazing.... Its only been since June 2009 since i've thrown up.
I'm slowly learning how to overcome my fear, I hope you are able to overcome yours too! The only way you can puke is if you're feeling nauseous. If you are not prone to a gagging reflex (gagging at random times, which can often lead to throwing up), you will not puke from a gagging sensation. So, if you're not nauseous, YOU WILL NOT THROW UP! So no need to worry, enjoy life, and when it happens, it happens.

Hope I helped!

Tina :-)

I too am having this problem and am wondering if you solved it!

I been feeling like this almost every day for 4 years but some days I feel perfect but some days i feel like I'm going to throw up int my throat but I usely don't I went to a doctor and they said it was anxiety be cause I have a fear of throwing up so it makes me feel like this

I have the same exact problem. Gagging sensation in my throat. Fear of throwing up. And i also have a tightness and pulling right under my jaw. I went to a G. I. doctor and she did an endoscopy on me and did a biopsy and It came back that I had acid reflux. So she gave me dexilant. But i had a bad side effect from that. So i went on nexium(40mg) then i was still getting symptoms. So my mom took me to an E. N. T. (EARS NOSE & THROAT) He did a scope where hetakes a camera long and skinny goes up your nose and down your throat and looks at your larnyx and voice box. So anyways thats what he did to me. He said my larynx was so so so so red that why Im getting the gagging sensation. Because the gases are shutting up my esophagusand hitting my larynx and giving me that sensation. Ive been diagnosed with LPR. I cant spell the whole word because i dont know how to. But i know what you are going through. Its annoying and uncomfortable. Iam on Zantac 150 twice a day. And sometimes i switch to nexim. But you should go see an E. N. T. And a GI doctor too if you like.

I have been having this for the last couple of days. I have suffered from Emetophobia for 20 years and am currently in a bad way. I feel like I am going to gag and it feels funny down my chest into my stomach. I try to distract myself but it is difficult. It is worse when I eat and swallow. I have been crying a lot lately so I thought maybe it was because of that.

That's so weird...I have suffered from emetophobia since I was about 4 years old, until present (23 years old). I just vomited for the first time in 12 years last week, from bad food poisoning. I can make myself not do it, usually. But i do have this weird gagging sensation, usually it's after I eat, but sometimes it happens randomly in the mornings. It's like I don't feel nauseous. In fact, I feel completely great, other than this weird gagging sensation. It's almost like someone stuck an invisible toothbrush down my throat.

Please let me know!...i gag every time i start to falll asleep!!!...really getting annoying..not much sleep!

I am also afraid of throwing up, and it also has manipulated my life at times. Whenever I get nervous, I feel "gaggy". That's what I call it. I have talked to my parents and therapist about this and they do not seem to understand. I finally found someone that understands!
I think part of my problem is that I have not thrown up, EVER, (that I can remember at least), so I'm not really sure what being nauseous feels like. So everytime I get nervous and get that gagging feeling, I think I'm going to throw up, which makes me more nervous, which makes the gagging worse, and its just a tiring cycle. HELP!

this is crazy. i literally feel the exact same way you do. I'm 14 and my parents and therapist dont understand what I mean by gaggy! I feel better that I know someone else that feels the way i do.

I throw up all the time.....at least a few times a week.  just yesterday I started feeling a gagging sensation in the back of my throat, I also had the hiccups nearly the entire day.  I thought it would be gone today, but it isnt.  I think I'll go see an ear nose and throat doctor and report back.

This is a psychological symptom which is common with those with Emetophobia. I have been suffering from vomiting phobia since a traumatic incident in elementary school and I also get the gagging feeling when under stress having a panic attack or pms. Try hypnosis or see an Emetophobia specialist. Vomiting phobias are different because exposure therapy as in making someone throw up doesn't make the phobia stop like other ones. Try to see someone who specifically knows how to treat vomiting phobias! Use some chlorseptic spray to numb the back of the throat if needed. Praying we all can find ways to ease our anxiety and Emetophobia issues!!

OMG i thought it was only me that was like this......i too have the dreaded fear of throwing up...ite been many years - wont say how many as i dont want to jinx myself.

I gag randomly too, I also suffer from anxiety and have panick attacks so this doesn't help the fear of sickness!! My GP prescribed Omeprazole (10mg twice a day) and it really helps with the gagging. I also have a constant supply of rennies as that settle my tummy a bit.

I actually feel worse if i'm hungry.........

Hope your all improving :)