I had a hemorrhoidectomy (no stitches, wounds left open) to remove two hemorrhoids (one on each side of the anus) on Feb. 19. I am now nearing 8 weeks post-op. Since the surgery, I've had ups and downs with regard to the recovery and healing. I think now, I should provide some relevant post-op experiences to shed more light on the situation:

1) Suprisingly, I did not have any problems urinating or defecating immediately after the surgery. I was able to do both just a few hours after the anesthesia wore off. No pain during either experience. While still in the hospital, I was able to defecate about 3 times (over the course of a day and a half) with no pain or problems.
2) Immediately began a high-fiber diet (steadily increasing the amount each day). No pain meds (non even aspirin/ibuprofen). 30ml of Lactulose per day.
3) I experienced my first bout of pain after the first bowel movement at home. Didn't have any real pain DURING the bowel movement but immediately after, I experienced EXCRUCIATING (stinging) pain, most likely from the feces coming into contact with the wound. Instead of wiping with toilet paper, I rinsed the anus (without touching with hands) about 10 times and then immediately jumped into a warm Sitz bath (which seemed to provide almost INSTANT relief from the stinging). Stools were soft, moist, consistent and very voluminous. I felt completely relieved (in terms of the contents of my stomach) after.
4) Over the course of the next week, the stinging pain (immediately after the bowel movement) slowly began to decrease. Still no constipation, no straining during bowel movement. I was going to the bathroom around 3 times a day.
5) By the second week post-op, little to no pain immediately after bowel movement. Continued on diet and doing Sitz baths.
6) Started taking psyllium fiber (10 grams per day--5g in the morning, 5g at night). Felt around 90% recovered.
7) By week three, started to become slightly constipated (only going to the bathroom every 2-3 days instead of every day). At this point (and since the beginning), I had been drinking 3-4 liters of water per day (so I know I wasn't dehydrated) and was still consuming large amounts of fiber. Tried to avoid straining when on the toilet, but sometimes had to strain to begin the bowel movement (although I felt a great urge to "go", it was as if the feces did not want to come out).
8) Suspecting an excess of psyliium of possibly "gumming up" inside my stomach, I decreased the psyllium intake to once a day (5 grams).
9) Bowel movements began to occur once a day again.

So since about week four to the present (coming up on week 8), I've been in about the same situation. Although I have a bowel movement regularly (once a day), I have been experiencing a very great amount of discomfort (sometimes actual pain) during the bowel movement. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like the stool is too big for the opening (since it seems that the anus is now healing and slightly narrowing back to it's original shape and size). I highly doubt that it's anal stenosis since my stools are always of a normal size/diameter (and sometimes even larger than normal if I have eaten way too much fiber). I notice short streaks of blood along the sides of the stool (however, no blood drops into the toilet water). The blood is usually located at the very "tip" (end) of the stool). I should mention that I clean myself with water (not toilet paper) so I cannot tell if there is blood on the anus immediately after defecating. I've noticed a small protrusion (possibly a hemorrhoid) immediately after each bowel movement. The small bump is about the size of small marble (probably even smaller, maybe more of the size of a kernel of corn). I suspect that it has been there the whole time, but since my anus has returned to normal "size," I think there is no room for the stool to pass around it and therefore, pushes it out. I can easily push it back up into the rectal cavity. I do not experience any itching or pain (directly from that small bump), but my anus is always sore after going to the bathroom (usually for a few hours and sometimes all day). The best way to describe the soreness is that it is the same as when I would have a very large bowel movement (even before ever having hemorrhoids or a hemorrhoidectomy), usually from eating a tremendous about of food (but again, no hemorrhoids developing right after). And today, I noticed a small amount of "film" or "mucus" at one side of my anus.

So my question (before seeing a doctor) is: should I be concerned or is it more likely that all of this (the soreness and the "film"/"mucus" all part of the healing process (I know most people are going to say that seeing a doctor is my best bet, BUT I'm just trying to get some info for some possible peace of mind)? Does it sound like I've developed another hemorrhoid that will need to be surgically removed or will I just need to resort to conventional hemorrhoid treatment (Sitz baths, ointments/creams, etc.)?

I hope someone can provide some insight into the situation. I don't want to have to have another surgery (maybe even for fissures, etc.) as this was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. All info is much appreciated!

Quote:

Hi, I hope you are feeling better now. As I was reading these posts in search for answers I noticed that you were describing almost exactly what I'm having now. I'm 2 months post-op and I still need medication after each BM for the pain and swelling and if I don't take it, it hurts for hours afterwards. Can you post any update I would like to know how you are doing now and how long more I'm going to have this all day soreness and pain after each BM, at this point I feel so tired of being in pain

I am currebtly feeling the same things as descirbed above. i'm almost 8 weeks post op and still get pain after bm and then have this congested and sore feeling after for a few hours atleast.
If either of you are still on this forum I would love to know how long this lasted for you? Did it mean a complication? Or is it part of the healing process?
I am to travel at the end of April and am terrified of commiting to it as I just cant imagine going on vacation feeling like i do now.
Please advise...am mentally very stressed.
Thanks

I understand how u feel and I hope u get better sooner than me. I had the same discomfort during 4 months after the surgery and the pain minimally decreased during that time, it was until the 4th month that I discover an abscess next to the anal canal growing into the cheek (it was hard to detect it before because of the tickness of tissue in that area)  which contributed to the pain and swelling.  After it was drainage things got better within three weeks.  however up to this date (8months later) I haven't had a BM without pain. no pain or soreness  afterwards anymore though.  the doctor recommended a sphincterectomy but he gave me other options.  I tried a nitro gel that worked well for few days until I developed an  allergic reaction; what I'm trying next is the Botox injection and see if that works because surgery is my last options I'm scare of it. for now I just keep  taking fiber and dringking a lot fluids. I hopr this information helps.

Hi Buddy, I am having the same problem as u have mentioned in your post. I would reaaly appreciate if u can let me know that after how many weeks u were completely healed.

Hey, I'm also in a similar situation. 7 weeks post-op and I have big trouble finding the right "recipe" of laxatives and stool softeners. To me it feels like something way huge wants to pass through and I spend great energy on involuntarily trying to force things through. It hurts and is very uncomfortable. I try to combat it with milk of magnesium which usually helps but at some point the situation becomes the opposite where I have to run to toilet almost once every hour and only passing very little or almost nothing. Getting very very tired of this situation and I'm anxious of getting back to normality.

I will be 7 weeks post op this Friday, 10/30. I am experiencing the same thing. Could you give an update?

I am six weeks out. When I have a BM, it feels like broken glass coming through and stings and is sore for hours afterwards. I am a vegetarian and eat plenty of fiber. I am not constipated. My doctor never warned me that it would be this bad. I feel more debilitated now than before surgery. I have to take pain meds every day, and it hurts like crazy to sit. Miserable!

I am 12-weeks post-laser surgery for my hemorrhoids. They removed one external and two large internals. I went through the typical recovery process with painful BMs, sitz baths, frozen peas, advil, etc….

I'm really depressed and don't feel like I'm getting any better, so my hope is that someone might be able to shed some light on how long it should really take to feel 100% again (or at least 95%). The doctors all have the same canned speech - “you’ll feel back to normal in 4-weeks”.

FIrst of all, previous to laser surgery, I had 5 bandings and 2 electropulse sessions which were both good and bad. At this point, I feel like I've made myself worse by trying to find treatments to make it better.

Where I used to have major flare-ups from time-to-time and always after a BM (I’d BM at night which would result in a thrombose and wake up feeling better in the morning), I now have swelling and rawness every day with very short intervals of feeling like a normal person.

It’s uncomfortable to sit on anything, and with modern restaurant designers only using metal and wooden chairs with no cushions, it’s almost impossible to enjoy going out for a good meal anymore. If I’m feeling good enough to take a walk, I always feel bad within 30 mins of starting.

Here’s the history of my recovery from hemorrhoid laser surgery:

Week 1-2: Painful BMs (everyday), frozen peas, advil, sitz baths, overall bad feeling

Week 3: Less painfull BMs, no more sitz baths, full bowel feeling, advil, sharp bouts of itchiness, swelling, & rawness

Week 4: BMs are normal, full bowel feeling, advil, sharp bouts of itchiness, swelling, & rawness

Week 5-7: advil, itchiness, swelling, rawness. Very depressed and thinking about taking prescription drugs for depression (this makes wife upset). Called the Laser surgery center and they told me I should stop eating or drinking all dairy products to stop the swelling and rawness. This includes milk, cheese, yogurt…. Eggs are ok. They also told me to start taking a probiotic (VSL-3) to help neutralize the content in my gut which can reduce inflammation and irritation as well.

Week 8: itchiness is less now (but comes and goes), swelling, & rawness are the same. Still very depressed. Concerned that the swelling and rawness was not improving. Instead, it was always one step forward, two steps back. Since I had to go out-of-town for the laser surgery and I didn’t want to make the expensive trip out there, I made an appointment with my local colorectal surgeon for his opinion as I was afraid that I might have a hemorrhoid that the laser surgeon might have missed. The doctor said everything looked good, but there was a lot of internal redness which could be causing the swollen/raw feeling. He prescribed non-steriod suppositories for the swelling and a low-cholesterol powder to stop the itching. His theory was that I may have an overabundance of salt in my bile which could be causing the itchiness.

Week 9-10: Done with the suppositories. They made my stomach upset which cause more frequent BMs. Still feeling itchiness, swelling, rawness. Don’t feel like they worked.

Week 11: Still feeling itchiness, swelling, rawness. Still very depressed.

As you can see, after the doctor-prescribed “4-weeks of recovery”, I’ve had a consistent feeling of swelling and rawness for the last 2 months. I made an appointment with another colorectal surgeon to see if they might have a new perspective on why I’m still feeling this way. I’m hoping that they say that I’m still recovering and that something like this takes will take a full year to fully recover. From what I was initially told, I should be gradually feeling better every day/week. Instead, as far as I can tell, I’ve flatlined after 4-weeks. Maybe my expectations were set too high? Perhaps recovery for this type of thing is very slow and steady since it’s in such a sensitive area?

At 45yrs old, I feel my future happiness is very bleak and I know it hurts my wife deeply when she sees how uncomfortable I am and when I tell her how little I care for anything anymore. I need to know if there is any hope of a target wellness date or if I’ve actually hit the end of the road with this thing…which is a really depressing thought.

Thank you to anyone who can share their experience and and full recovery.

I am almost two months out from surgery and having bad pain after bowel movements. The warm baths are true only thing that help.

all this is depressing for sure coz I started reading this forum thinking that u guys will tell me something positive to look forward to. I am beginning to think that this was all a mistake and shouldn't have gone through with it. I am on my 8th week post op and sitting down for more than 30 mins is a nightmare! I am wondering if its ever gonna end and normalcy ever come! but knowing somebody is experiencing this makes me feel better coz i know i am not abnormal or something terrible like that! I suppose we are in for a bit of a long ride and should all hang in there!

Has anybody reply to your question? I am at eight weeks and still having issues as well, any follow up on this subject would be much appreciated.

I'm almost 8 weeks out now from the removal of 3 stage 4 hems. Dr said it could be 12 weeks, and was very upfront and honest with me. I still have a large amount of pain when having a BM, and am going back to see surgeon in Monday. I'm convinced he thinks I'm a crazy pill popper lady because I've my husband in several times for rx refills. I hope there is nothing serious going on, I might be just a complete wuss. It's starting to wear on me big time. I am a stay at home mom to an almost 3 and 1 year old, and it's taxing. Bathroom breaks are not quick and easy for me, that's for sure. I went into this knowing the facts, but thinking/hoping I'd be one of the few without issues. You know, tough girl. I'm a 35 year old otherwise healthy female, whose child bearing years gave me these dumb things! Good luck to all, I am sympathetic to all of you.

I'm right there with you. My kids are in pre k and k, and I have been dealing with the same thing. I still use numbing gel, but because of my PCOS the metformin I take helps my digestion. I notice if I lube up, there is less strain and pain. I'm thinking of trying manual dilation, even though my Dr said there is no narrowing it still feels like that. She told me it might be my pelvic floor muscles and not my sphincters.

Hi. It will be 8 weeks after my hemorrhoidectomy for mixed graded 4 hemorrhoids. Still i got the stinging pain after defecating. I have stopped sitz baths 4 weeks after surgery. The pain is a bit bearable but sometimes it is swolen and painful. and i found a small lump after each BM if i really strain too much. Also i found a small amount of mucous hrs after my BM, so i still use sanitary pads after to proetct my underwear from stains... i want to get back to normal those with out pain after BM and sanitary pads.