I have noticed some strange sensations lately. They started gradually, with frequent burning, tingling, or itching numbness in the palm of my hand and the fingers. Especially I feel it at the thumb and the index and middle fingers. My doctor told me that could be carpal tunnel syndrome. Since I don’t know absolutely anything about it, I would like to hear more about carpal tunnel syndrome.

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. Median nerve is the one that runs from the forearm into the hand. It is used for controlling sensations to the palm side of the thumb and fingers. As well median nerve sends impulses to some small muscles in the hand that allow the fingers and thumb to move. The carpal houses the median nerve and tendons. Sometimes, thickening from irritated tendons or other swelling narrows the tunnel and causes the median nerve to became compressed. The result may be pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, something like you have experienced. Although painful sensations may indicate other conditions, carpal tunnel syndrome is the most common. Treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome should begin as early as it’s possible. Initial treatment generally involves resting the affected hand and wrist for at least 2 weeks.

shorey wrote:

I suffered from this for 10 years, and I had it in both hands. I was losing the use of my hands, I wore braces on both hands at night for years, finally I had the surgery in 04 and it was the best thing that I ever done. I have not had any pain since then. Except for I delevoped trigger finger this year but surgery took care of that also. Sometimes a fluid pill will help or vitamin B6. Hope this helps.