Hi, I’ve had some problems with my bowel movements, and a doctor told me that I suffer from spastic colon. He prescribed me some laxatives, and told me to drink more water. I don’t know what is spastic colon, and what is has to do with constipation.

Hi, maybe you would be more familiar with the term Irritable bowel syndrome, which is the same thing as spastic colon. It has many kinds, and one of them is constipation. So, you suffer from one of the spastic colon syndromes. The others are lower abdominal pain or discomfort, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas and nausea. This disease mostly affects a large intestine. There’s no cure for it, but many medicines and therapies can relieve the symptoms. For constipation are used laxatives, for diarrhea most common drugs like immodium and lomotil. However, every case is different, and the drugs must be recomanded by doctor.

I would recommend a natural, unmedicated, holistic approach that would entail observing and changing the way you eat and exercise.
"A: Ideally, you should be having 2 to 3 healthy bowel every day. If this is not the case, there are several natural remedies that may help relieve your suffering and prevent you from becoming constipated in the future.

Consuming a sufficient amount of dietary fiber can help keep the bowel healthy and support regular elimination. Fiber helps by sweeping the bowel free of toxins and creating resistance and stimulating the wave-like muscle contractions in the bowel (peristalsis) that help move food through the intestines and ease elimination.

Drinking plenty of water is also important. Liquids add fluid to colon, making bowel movements softer and easier to pass.

A daily Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) supplement may also be beneficial. EFAs such as Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 oils (found in fish, flax oil, nuts and seeds) help keep the mucous membranes in the digestive tract moist and lubricated, helping to ease elimination.

Finally, maintaining a healthy balance of beneficial intestinal bacteria is essential for preventing a sluggish colon. Because the intestinal bacteria in the colon can help provide the proper environment for healthy bowel elimination, it is important to take a good bacteria supplement every day. " taken from www.hopeformula.com/Ask-brenda/.

some of the things i do that help out is eat less on the meals , less greasy foods , i've try the bile salts but don't use it now. My doctor got me on some meds also (Dicyclomine 10mg) help out a little ..also I use a (Abdominal Binder) however I go off my diet a lot .. start eating wrong foods... and it start actiog up again. A friend told me about this over the counter med (Acidophilus Probiotic) but havn't try it of yet. I don't take a lot of Pain meds really I believe that the wrong way to go. If I stay out of the fast food places and ribs, pizza foods like that I do pretty good......I get a little pain in the lower abdominal but I can handle it ok. we all have to work it out in our own way... hope it might help someone out....happy days ahead......