Hi. I was diagnosed with spastic colon, or irritable bowel syndrome. My stomach hurts and I have diarrhea. I feel very depressed. What could be the cause of my problem? I was prescribed with Lotronex and Lomotil, but I would like to hear more about treatment options.

Hi. Spastic colon is caused by bacterial infections in the gastrointestinal tract. Meds are important in relieving symptoms of spastic colon. Lomotil, or Imodium may be recommended to decrease diarrhea. You may be also prescribed with antidepressants, and meds that relax muscles in the intestines, such as Librax. Lotronex is a med for treating spastic colon. It must be used with great caution because it has many serious side effects. Med affect patient differently so you must found out (with your doctor) which one (or which comb) is the best for your symptoms.