New Reply New Topic Followed by 22 people

I can't believe that this kind of things can happen in modern medicine. I had pain in my abdomen. It has lasted for a few months. Eventually doctors told me that I have to remove my gallbladder. The procedure was successful. But a week later symptoms has returned. Now, they say that I have sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. I can't believe this is happening! What now?

Well, I can tell you that you are not the only one. The same thing has happened to me. They had removed my gallbladder and later they found out that the problem is in sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. First thing you have to do is ERCP. On that way you can test the duct that releases the bile in small bowel. The problem is in ducts misfunctions and in that way it holds back the bile from the liver and it causes the pain.

I know it is a while ago but how did you get on with your problem. I am having problems after removal of gallbladder and feel very defeated.

I had the same thing happen to me. I had gallbladder removed and still episodes of horrific pain for many years...finally had several bouts of pancreatities....went to mayo clinic and had the ercp and sphincterotomy, it has been 10 months and finally pain free!!!!

I had my gallbladder removed and continue to have pain as well. I was thinking of asking my dr about spincter of oddi dysfunction. Just curious, along with the pain did you also experience unexplained weight gain?

Were any of you who had sphincter of oddi dysfunction told all your labs were normal? My liver and pancreatic enzymes came back normal, nothing on ultrasound, nothing on CT! I'm getting really frustrated. Is it possible to still have sphincter of oddi if all these tests show nothing?

Yes I had my gallbladder in 2002 and have had complications ever since. And yes when my bile duct closed shut and I was in intense pain, my liver enzymes were not elevated that much at all. It was simply severe pain that convinced them to go in and do a sphincterotomy. This helped only a bit. I am still suffering with pain in the same area as the gallbladder. Been to Mayo clinic and Yale Hospital back east to see top specialists. It can't be fixed. Its not like they can say exactly what is causing this. I now manage the pain through a patch. Most of the oral pain meds can actually cause more pain in that same area. I am still searching for a cure. I have done the homeopathic route as well as accupuncter and proper diets. I only wish the doctors would realize this is a problem for many people with little solutions. Good luck to all.

Thank you so much for responding. It's somewhat frightening that I am experiencing all these symptoms without being able to find anything wrong. I am also am relieved to hear your comment about oral pain medications. Each time I go into the ER I get chided by the doctors and nurses for not accepting pain medication. Yet with most of them being so hard of you stomach/liver/etc I feel like it would just be doing more damage without the benefit of results. Please let us know how you are progressing so that if there is some relief out there we can spread the word. I hope all goes well for you.

Just wondering, are there any of you out there who have had sphincterotomy and if so would you mind sharing if it well well, or not so well for you?

I've had this pain forever I had my gallbladder out in 2002 and I just been looking on the web and found this out. My liver enzymes are high. I'm very hopeful this is what has been causing my pain for all these years!!

I began having "attacks" in my upper abdomen when I was 19. Some years I would have several attacks, and sometimes I went years without having one. Seventeen years later, I finally asked my family doctor about it. I was referred to a gastroentrologist who did the upper and lower endoscopy and found nothing. The abdominal ultrasound found gallstones, so he referred me to a surgeon to have out my gallbladder. During the lap chole, my gallbladder began to fall apart, and so was converted to an open chole. The surgeon told me later that it was full of stones and it was "rotten". I changed my diet and lost 35 pounds.

About 9 months later, I began having attacks again. About two years after having my gallbladder out, I had a really bad attack and went to the emergency room. I was admitted to the hospital and the next morning my liver enzymes were ten times the normal level. I was in the hospital over the weekend and my liver enzymes gradually came down. The gastroentrologist did an ERCP, made a cut in the common bile duct to widen it, and took out some "sludge". Two weeks later, I had another attack.

After that I had all kinds of tests with nothing being found. Instead of attacks at this point, though, I had a chronic pain in my upper-right quadrant. I saw another gastroentroloist who was willing to do another ERCP, only this time putting in a stent for two days and then taking in out. I saw a liver speciailst who told me that I was having problems because I thought I was having problems. In the mean time, I unintentionally lost another 20 pounds.

About a year later, I decided to take up the other gastroentrologist on the ERCP, which I had done a few days ago. He found the common bile duct 30% restricted and the pancreatic duct nearly closed off. No stones or "sludge" were in my bile ducts. So a stent was put in each of the ducts, and then removed. I've been told that if I don't want this to happen again, I need to maintain a diet of limiting fat grams to 20-30 per day.

Please, anyone out there who has had the procedure: What have been the outcomes for those having the sphincter cut? If it's a one way valve to keep bowels stuff out of the duct, how does cutting it change this? Any 'reflux' of bowels contents? I'm very concerned about creating a whole new issue.

I had the procedure done, one week after my gall bladder was removed.
My regular GI, knew sphincter valve was spasming. But she felt once the gall bladder was removed it was stop spasming. Plus they tried to get me to relax and destress. I have hardly any stress in my life, but I hardly think stress and a spasming sphincter is not related at all. Anyway, I was sent to Froedtert in Milwaukee and a specialist did the cutting. The nasiousness and pain is gone. There are still some foods that upset my stomache, but I think that is more related to the removal of the gall bladder, deep friend foods, caffeine, chocolate. I'm glad I had mine done.

I had my gallbladder taken out about 2 years ago and recently (since I've been pregnant) I've been having the pain again. I was reading online and think that it could be the sphincter of oddi dysfunction, but I don't know if they can do anything about it while I'm pregnant and if it means more surgery? Can anyone tell me more about anything?

Thank you everyone for your information, I had my gallbladder out 3 months ago now. I had to return three times to emergency in severe agony with a very sharp and throbbing pain in my right side under the ribs. My surgeon and his team did every test they could think of and while still in pain sent me home saying there was nothing wrong with me. Max dosages of morphine did nothing for the pain, I spent days in hospital, everyone avoided me as there seemed to be nothing that could be done.
I went home with packets of morphine, but then the pharmacist said try Buscapan which is an antispasmodic, this helped, I went back to my own doctor and he gave me valium as well. If I can catch it in time, the Buscapan works, but if not I have to take some valium also. This controls it and I am hoping that the nerve and spasming will settle in time. Hope this can help someone else.
Kate :-)