New Reply New Topic Followed by 14 people

I have been taking Spironolactone for a year and a half to control my acne. I have heard that it is unsafe to take while pregnant. Is there a period of time I should wait after going off of it before trying to conceive? How long does it take to get out of your system completely?

I have been taking spironolactone since Dec. 10th 2006. I had asked my doctor if there was anything I could do to help with the male pattern hair growth on my body and "spironolactone" is what he perscribed for me. I have experience some side effects and was wondering if it was normal or if anyone had the same effects. For the first 2-3 months I experienced back to back periods, very long and dark brown almost black. My doctor told me this shouldnt be a side effect from the medication so he ordered a "D&C" to see what was going on, that was done Feb.2nd 2007. Unfortunately the "D&C" was unsuccessful because they could not enter the uterus I was too narrow. Today is Feb. 18th 2007 and there is no change from before. Everyday I have a small amount of blackish/brown discharge and i feel like I have my period all the time. Im bloated, crampy and fatigued. Can anyone relate? :cry:

I had asked for a stronger fluid pill and she put me on Spirnolactone two weeks ago. My swelling is worse. My abdomen is bloated and I have actually
gained more water weight. I have an appt. tomorrow. I have polycystic ovaries, so I am sure this is the cause. Very uncomfortable. I use to be a size 6 and just with in the past year I am already up to a size 10.. exercising constantly.

lauriecs wrote:

Hello
I am just trawling the internet trying to find out if spiro can have a lasting effect on fertility. I was also on spiro for about a year and a half and came off it about 5 months ago, I also stopped using BC then as we decided we would like to start trying for a baby. So far I have yet to conceive, I don't know why this has just dawned on me but I am suddenly in a panic that I have caused problems for my fertility by messing with my hormones.
Having read that you wrote this post in 2006, I just wondered....did you manage to get pregnant?

Thanks in advance!

I have been on spirnalactone for three years now with great results in treating my acne. I too decided to try for a baby and went off my birth control. I also stopped my spirnalactone the same day. I got pregnant that first month, not even really trying. If anything spirnalactone has been shown to increase fertility, not decrease it. God lucK!

You should never get pregnant while taking spironolactone...especially if you are having a boy, it disrupts proper development of male genitals...as spiron can interfere with the hormones necessary for male fetus' to form their genitals...consult your doctor if you are on this and planning to get pregnant...excuse me, but the fool who said that it makes you more fertile is way off base, you are never supposed to be on this when trying to conceive

Alinaa83 wrote:

Although it is correct that one should NOT continue to take spironolactone while trying to conceive for the reasons stated in the quoted response above, the person who stated that it has been shown to increase fertility (in females) is not off base and certainly not a fool. Be very careful and ensure that you are well protected against pregnancy while on this medication.

TempletonA wrote:

hi, I'm not sure how all this works. But I have been on Spironolactone for a year now. My hormore levels are really high 123. But my cousin has been looking stuff for me and now I'm on birth control pills its almost been 2 months. My Husband and I have been wanting a baby for years now. Could you give me some advice. I would be more that greatful. Thanks!!!

I just got home from my doctor and my husband and i have been trying for a second child but i took test and my hormones are not right so he told me to get on Spirmalaotone and take vit. and i will get pregant. He Said that is what they give to ppl like me to get pregnant.

I've taken spironolactone for years for the treatment of acne (for which it's been very effective).  I have also always been on the birth control pill at the same time for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts (dangerous for the development of a male fetus).  However, when my husband and I decided that we wanted to have a baby, I stopped taking the spironolactone for several months, then eventually went off the birth control pill as well.  ONce I was off both meds, I was able to conceive very quickly, and gave birth to a very healthy baby girl.  She's now six years old--and a very happy, healthy, wonderful little girl.  I also went back on the spironolactone eventually--but only after I had stopped breastfeeding and had gone back on the birth control pill.  In other words, spironolactone did not seem to have an impact on my fertility.

lauriecs wrote:

I was on Spironolactone for 3 years for acne too. I know this was asked a year ago but, I had the same question and no one on the internet could answer it. I just got back from my OBGYN. She said since I had been off the medicine for 2 weeks I was good to try get pregnant this month. THe medicine leaves your system quickly and does not store in the fatty tissue so there is no need to be off the medication for months before trying to conceive.

Guest wrote:

did you have a girl?

The medicine shrinks ovarian cysts in those with Polycytic ovarian syndrome which causes overproduction of testosterone and makes it harder to get pregnant, therefore making it..................

Drumroll.........

Easier to concieve!

Side note: Should not be on this when you are pregnant though.

hi, I wouldn't recommend that u stay on spir while trying to get prego, not good for baby especiallly males

I know everyone is on here saying you're not suppose to be on spironolactone when trying to conceive due to the effects it can have on the fetus, however if stopped right after findings of pregnancy the chance of side effect is almost completely diminished. However from personal experience I was on spironolactone for years for acne and never had a problem getting pregnant to three healthy kids(stopped taking once I knew was pregnant each time) and when I went off of it tried for 2 years and was not able to get pregnant went back on spironolactone and within 2 months pregnant for the fourth and final time.

So if taken responsibly just like any medication there can be positive outcomes.