New Reply New Topic Followed by 28 people

I had a steroid shot on the right side of my butt about 7 months ago for a back injury. The bruise went away in about a month. There was no pain involved after the injection. About 3 months after the injection I noticed a divot or a dimple appearing at the injection site. NOW....it's a huge crater measuring about 1/2 inch deep and a couple inches in diameter. There is no pain, but it's UGLY! Why did this happen?

Not sure. It could be a bad reaction to the shot.

You really should see a doctor about this to make sure it's okay.

my daughter has the same thing.. but we are not sure what has caused this.. I was hoping to find some photos to see if this is common or if it is the same thing.. but I can't find any.

i just developed the same thing a little while after a cortisone injection. the doc said that it is typically due to a high dosage of the injection and the cortisone literally eats away the cellulite in that spot. the divot will always be there but he said that it will fill-in a bit over time. he said that there is nothing you can do but it should improve a bit.

i have also developed a "divot" in my buttocks that seems to get larger and more painful with time, my cortisone injection was over a year ago and at first all i had was a little skin discoloration and that soon developed into a little indentation that since has greatly increased, i am now having pain in the injection site that seems to travel down my buttocks and leg, my doctor thinks i'm crazy, i had a very small dose of cortisone, not enough to really make a big deal over and no one seems to be able to help, they said it won't go away but why would it continue to get larger, it's almost as if the substance is sitting there eating away at the fat or muscle that is in the area.....pretty soon it'll be so deep that maybe the skin will pull back together! lol not too funny, it's ugly, if anyone knows of anything or any way to possibly correct this please HELP!

The previous entry is correct in that the divot is caused because the cortisone injection eats away at the cellulite. It sounds like your injection might have not been put in as deep as it should have. It would make sense that the cortisone eats away at cellulite because I don't get a divot on my shoulder when I get a shot of it there!

Peggy Lee wrote:

It is so strange because last summer (2007) I had this horrible allergic reaction and caused my entire body from my neck down to break out into a rash. I went to the doctor and it was so bad that they gave me two anibiotic shots on my left buttock and two steroid shots on my right buttock. Well, I noticed immedietely that there was a white skin discoloration on my right buttock exactly where the shots were given. A few days later it became a small indentation. Today it is about two inches wide and an inch deep!! It does not look good at all. Now that I have been reading these quotes, it is pretty amazing to me that doctors do not mention any type of side effect or possibility of a reaction from injection to their patients. My other buttock is just fine but the one with the steroid is somewhat distorted looking.

I've been reading all of your posts and wanted to let you all know that I am experiencing the same thing. I had a steroid injection 6 months ago. At first it just bruised, then turned into strange dotted scabs, then it started sinking. Now I have no fat tissue left and the skin is the whitest of white. The skin is very sensitive to touch, and it causes pain within my hip now. I am going back to the doctor today at which the shot was given. I spoke with another doctor friend today just to ask him if this were a mistake made by the nurse, or if it was something that can't be prevented. They said that it has happened to other people as well and that it is just a reaction to the shot. No matter what the cause, at this point, I just want it fixed and I don't want to pay for it. The point is, at the time of injection, we should be made aware of the possibility. I was not, as I am sure none of you were either. We are not doctors, therefore we put our trust in those who've studied in that area to look out for us. They didn't. I plan on having this doctor send me to a dermatologist for treatment, and i do not expect to pay for any of it. I'll let you all know how it goes, as well as what they say is the cause.

I got a steroid injection on the top of my buttock about 2 months ago for leg pain and just recently noticed a huge dent at the site of the injection. It's awfully wide and deep, i wasn't told at time of injection that this was a side effect, if i had been told i would have decided to just take the pain killer shot and not the steroid as i was given two diffrent shots that day. I am very sadden by this. i never thought that the sittuation would lead to a deformity. I am going to the doctor tomorrow and seeing what i can do to take care of it, but as i have heard before there is not much one can do to get rid of this.

I had the same side effect almost exactly 6 months after and the injection was in my hip. I now look completely different on that side, the indentation is about 3 inches wide and very deep. I was not informed of any side effects other than a possible immediate allergic reaction of hives and had I known there is no way I would've gotten the injection. I would've kept taking over the counter medicine for the once-in-a-while pain I get. This is not a minor side effect, it has caused a major change to the appearance of my thigh and hip area and I have spoken to many others who have experienced the same side effect. I think we should definitely be informed of this prior to consenting to the treatment. My dose was supposedly low too, but you wouldn't know it looking at the site on the hip now!

:'( I too got sterioid injections in upper leg/hip area (one time only) and 9 months later my divets have grown to be huge craters...about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch deep and look bruised. It is skin on bone, all fat and muscle are gone. I was not even told it was a steroid shot, thought it was for pain and not given any indication that there were side effects as you can bet I would not have done this if I thought there was a 5% chance in deformity. I can no longer wear a swim suit and am not comfortable being seen by my spouse. It is so ugly and more importantly so painful. Now I am in more pain than ever. Why is this not being investigated by the FDA? It appears there are so many of us out there and this is a travesty for sure. My Dr. doesn't think there is anything that can be done nor can plastic surgery help. She also said insurance would consider it cosmetic which is strange as it was no fault of my own and is an actual accidental injury. Is there anything we can do? I can't belive I have to just accept this pain!

It has been two years since I had that steroid injection and the divot is now gone. I think the post was right about how steroids eat away at cellulite because last summer I gained alot of weight and am in the process of losing it. I'm half way to my goal weight. I'm wondering if the divot will show itself again when finish losing the weight??
I had no pain with mine.

I too have adivot! Has anyone found any treatment?

I was diagnosed with skin cancer in May '08. I had to have surgery to remove the affected area on my temple. About a week after I got my stitches out, a very large lump appeared right at the upper edge of the surgery site. The doctor wasn't sure whether it was a hematoma (blood clot) or a cyst. In any case, it was decided that I should have a shot of steroids to try to bring down the swelling. A couple weeks after I had the shot, the bump was still there and bruising became visible. The doctor decided to do more surgery to remove it. When she opened up the skin, it was determined that it was in fact a hematoma. It was the result of a stitch that had broken off and was left underneath the skin when the stitches were removed from the first suregery. :-( Needless to say, I wasn't very happy about this. When I went in the following week to have the stitches removed from the SECOND surgery, I noticed that my skin was starting to sink in a little right above my eyebrow (near where I had the steroid shot). I didn't really give it much thought at that time because it wasn't that big and I'd wait to see if it would go away on its own. But, the sunken area just kept getting bigger and bigger! I went back to see my doctor and she explained that that skin depression was probably due to the steroid shot she had given me. I was upset because she said it was difficult to tell at that time whether or not it would be a permanent effect. She offered to give me a shot of something called Restylane (for free) to fill in the dent, but I decided I didn't want to have anything else injected into my face!! I was just going to wait it out and see what happened. And now I'm REALLY glad I did. It has been about four months since I had that stupid steroid shot and the large dent I had has almost completely filled in. You can barely even see it now. I think that exercise and drinking a lot of water helped. I also massaged the area a little everyday. And one other thing I did was rub this scar gel called Mederma on the site twice a day (it's supposed to promote collagen production). So, if you have one of these steroid-induced indentations in your skin, don't lose all hope. Please be patient and give it time. It's very possible it will heal on its own.

Two years ago I had a steroid injection in my right shoulder, for tendonitis and impingement. About a month later I noticed a "divot" at the injection site. I was surprised, because I'd had injections before with no side effects. My fitness trainer told me that it was a result of the steroid eating away at the tissue and muscle. The good news is that over time the divot has filled in and now looks normal. Fast forward two years-- I had recently a mild allergic reaction and was given the option of an oral steroid, or an injection. I opted for the injection which I now regret. A month later I noticed a divot on my right buttock at the site, just like the others are describing. I however have no pain with it. My fear is that it will get worse and may become painful. Since the divot in my shoulder has filled in, I am crossing my fingers this one will too. I am wondering if it is due to poor technique on the part of the practitioners, or is it my system. I have had steroid injections in both areas in the past with no problems. Either way, I am going to decline all steroid injections in the future, unless of course my life depends in it.