I had a anterior cervical discectomy in feb. 2006 for a herniated disc & bone spur. I have a plate,4 screws,bolts & a cage. All of my original pain was on my right side. After surgery my right side feels fine & now I am in horrible pain w/my left side. Not only do I have pain in my neck but the burning in my traps are horrible. My neurosurgeon has sent me to a pain management dr. & we have tried trigger point injections and facet joint injections - NOTHING is working!! Does anyone know what is wrong w/me? MRI & x-rays show nothing.

I had acd with fusion in august of 06. I am still having a lot of achiness in my neck. I don't know where to get advice on how to take care of myself. Have you resolved your problems. thanks. Jeanne

shea brett wrote:

:cry: :cry: Could not help to reply to your post I did have alograft performed C-5 C-6 plates with 6 screws after 2 years i still have pain in shoulders and arm and neck tryed everything Almost no luck. I am now on pain mangment Thank god anyways mri and exrays shows to be good anyways just wanted to let you know you are not alone i fight the pain every day of my life! and am very limited on any activity. if i should ever find out why im in terrible pain you will be the first to know later and good luck

I HAD CERVICAL FUSION c3-c-4,C4-C5,C5-C6,C6-C7, WITH PLATING,
BONE SPURS CLEANED UP C2,C3,C4, DEGERNATIVE DISC DS C2. SURGERY SEPT 06, DID ALL MODALATIES, WORE NECK BRACE 8 WKS, PT 10
WEEKS. I HAVE MODERATE TO SEVERE PAIN DAILY IN NECK RADIATIING
TO SHOULDERS AND MIDDLE OF BACK, W RADICULOPATHY RT ARM AND
HAND, ALL XRAYS INCLUDING MRI'S SHOW NOTHING. I HAVE BEEN DX
WITH CHRONIC PAIN, ON ANTI DEPRESSION AND PAIN MEDICATIONS,
TRIGGER POINT INJECTION, PHYSCOLOGIST FOR CHRONIC PAIN MANAGEMENT, THIS IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED AT ALL. I'M 60, HAD TO
RETIRE FROM MY JOB AFTER 25 YEARS, AND AM UNABLE TO PERFORM
ANY NORMAL TASKS. APPLIED FOR DISABILITY IN JAN 07 NOT HEARD
YET IF IM ELIGIBLE. I ALSO HAVE 3 HERNIATED AND 4 BULGING DISCS IN MY BACK, WITH DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE SEVERE TO MODERATE.
SO WHAT CAN I DO WITH MY LIFE TO MAKE IT LESS PAIN FULL? I CANT
WORK THOUGHT ABOUT SOME TYPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK, CANT SIT/STAND OR WALK FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME CANT EXERCISE .ANY
IDEAS ANYONE PLEASE?
MARY

Hello, I have recently been told I have a large herniated disk on the right side. The surgeon wants to perform an Anterior Cervical Disk Operation asap. He said there is no other option. What should I do?

I have been told that less than 10% ACD's have problems. Sometimes
you do not have an option, but you should get a second opinion before
you make a final decision, This is surgery, all surgeries have no
guarantee that they will solve the problem, do your homework first.
If you decide to have the surgery, Good Luck and God Bless
Mary N

I had tghis type of surgery 6 years ago and still have limited pain. I'm fussed c-4-c-6 with plate and 6 screws. I still have moderate pain that I treat with pain meds. I would suggest cervical epidural (cortizone injections in series of three every other year). These have been very helpful in my case. It is an out patient procedure, go home same day with bed rest for one day.

I had surgery in Sept of 06 C5-6-7 with plate, 5 screws and cage. I had pain in neck, shoulder and down arm for several months and the shoulder was for over 3 years before I was sent to UPMC in Pittsburgh and had the fusion procedure done. Neck brace for one month and back to work in 2 weeks as my job required me to do dispatch work. I am back to normal lifting and have been for over 3 months. I have very little pain, some soreness. If you need the procedure and have use up all your options than go for it. My option could of been leave it go, and the arm finally goes with strength and possible paralyisis. Everyone heals differently, I chose to have the surgery. I do yard work, fishing, lifting and also in the EMS field. Good Luck

Mary N, how are things for you now? It's been quite a few months, just wondering if anything has improved.

I am 10 days out of having had the same operation (anterior cervical laminectomy and fusion of 3 discs) and am in agony. The original pain is nearly gone, but has been replaced by terrible middle upper back pain, right between the upper portion of the shoulder blades right below my surgical site. Doc said it would be the result of "stretching," but I didn't think to ask how long it would take to go away, or if there was any chance that it wouldn't! Does anybody know? This is truly debilitating. I hurt sitting, standing, laying down, and only feel any relief when I walk, which I think is due to be simply being outside and moving. Unfortunately, you can't walk 24/7, and I am suffering.

Any feedback is truly appreciated!

:-( I
m not good, I had anterior fusion of 4 disc. I still have shoulder and arm pain rt side. I have trigger point injections once a month. But for what ever reason I have the same thing going on with my back from T11 to S3. I am in terrible pain I can not have surgery, to many herniated disc, bulging disc, degeneration disc disease, facet disease from T11 thru S3. I will start facet injections next week.So I am one of the ones that is having a lot of problems.
I hope the facet injections work, I think he is considering putting a stim implant with also a medication pump to help controlling this pain. no guarantees.
I hope that you do well, but it does take 6 months to a year to feel better. And you may need some phys therapy once in awhile or injections. I hopw that you don't, but these are things to be aware of. Let me know how you do. Mary

I have the utmost empathy for all of you who live with daily, debilitating pain. On June 14, 2007 I had a 9 1/2 hour neck surgery to fuse cervical discs C4-C7. I have a plate and scar on the front of my neck and a posterior scar that extends from half way the back of my head to mid back. I also have a 3 inch plate in the back of my neck. I had 2 pinchec cranial nerves, C5 and C6 and severe impingement of my spinal cord. My hands (B) would contract, like a stroke, without any prior warning. However, I experienced absolutely no pain in my neck or arms pre-operatively. The impromptu muscle spasms forced me off my job after being an RN for 22 years. It took almost a year for Social Security to approve my disability so I had to file bankruptcy in August.

I am looking for answers, myself, because post-operatively, the muscle spasms in my hands have disappeared, but the paiin in my arms and hands and between my shoulder blades is excruciating. In addition to having completed six weeks of physical therapy, I take Soma, percocet, Lyrica, neurontin and flexeril. NOTHING seems to kill the pain. The numbness in all ten fingers has disappeared, but only to be replaced by this horrific pain. It feel like a HOT ELECTRIC CURRENT is traveling up and down both arms, constantly. Sometimes I wish for death, the pain get so bad, but being a Christian excludes that option. I use moist heat, as I try to fall asleep in the chair in which I have slept since August, 2002.
I can't sleep in a bed like other homosapeans and I hate that.

I have bulging dics at C1-C3, all of my thoracic discs and L3-S1 are herniated, encroaching upon the sciatic nerve and compressing my spinal cord. On Jan., 2008, I am scheduled to have surgery on my lumbar spine with more plates, bolts and screws implanted in my lower back. I received epidural blocks in my lumbar spine for two years and became afraid that they might further damage my already pinched sciatic nerve. The Lyrica controls the burning pain that extends from my butt to my calves but it doesn't TOUCH the pain in my hands and arms. I think I'll try the cervical epidurals so I can possibly get some of my life back.

Pray for me, please, as I pray for you all.
Love, compassion and understanding, Madaline

I can empathise with you.
This pain after surgery ( though yours was more severe than mine) is sometimes absolutley unbearable.
As with you, the surgery took care of some things but left me with other problems. I live on pain pills, just as you. They do not take away all of the pain but at least I can feel half way human. Without them I can absolutely do nothing the pain is so severe.
My problems have mostly involved my right side but the last several months my left side is being affected also. Having two arms and hands that do not want to function and the shooting pains and aches is sometimes more than I can handle...but I keep telling myself it could be worse! At least I can be up out of bed (heck I hardly sleep! About 3-4 hours and I awake hurting so bad I have to get up. At this time I can only be on my right side with minimal pain while I sleep).

My thoughts and prayers are with you....
and good luck on your future medical adventures, I pray that the shots work for you.

I hear the complaints of each and every one of you and experience the same frustration and a pain level of 7 to 10 every day of my life. Having had cervical fusion at C4,5,6. and cleaning of bone spurs and aosteoarthritus throughout my neck and upper body, I find each day a chore to get through. I have had the epidorals and acupunture, and tried the faccet injections. I have lidoderm patches, Norco for pain, and Muscle relaxers (Tramodol). I also have a tens machine that I am experimenting with. The only thing that keeps the pain at bay is the Norco. I have researched my case throughly and have come to the conclusion that the pain will always be there. One thing I can recommend is excersize. Don't give up. Stretch everday 3 or 4 times a day, learn Yoga and biofeedback techniques and think positive. I know sometimes you wake up and can't move because the pain is so bad and I know how it feels not to want to do anything because you dont have the energy, but energy is created by only YOU! So as hard as it is, get up and move. Walk, run, bike, whatever it takes. Also, sleep for long periods of time 9 to 10 hours a day helps me. Also try talking to a Pain Psychologist who you can vent to and who can evaluate you for depression or opiate addiction. Very important to keep on top of your state of mind. I personally know of one person who took his own life because he couldn't take it any longer, don't let it happen to you. Any questions, please email me at roadhoiusesteve@aol.com. Hang in there, all of you!!!

I had C3-4 and C4-5 cervical discectomy with graft bones and plate over 3 weeks ago. I lost my voice for a few days but now has regained it. The burning and tingling pains in my hands and feet that caused the surgery are still there (doctor said nerve was damaged and will take a long time to heal,) in the meantime new pains appeared after the surgery: (1) I cannot sleep more than 4 hours without feeling sharp pain in the back of ears; (2) there is a lump in the throat causing pain running down all the way to the back whenever I swallow, when I don't swallow, it feels like foods or something are being stuck in the throat; (3) I cannot sleep on my back because there is something that chokes the air passage whenever I relax and start to sleep, I have to sleep on the side; (4) I cannot bend my head back without feeling sharp pain in the back of the neck; (5) the tip of my tongue flared up (doctor said this has nothing to do with the surgery.) Does anyone experience all these 5 symptoms and does anyone know how long it will take before they will go away? The doctor did not say that they will go away, but just ask me to see him again in another 2 weeks to see how they will be. I have sympathy for all of you having to go through this surgery, it is nasty.

I had c4 c5 c6 fusion feb06 ended up with mrsa in the inscions site and in the lungs surgery did not heal had the second done November 07 this time c4 c5 c6 and c7 this time they went in from the back and used my bone so far I have had no relief from the pain currently going to pain mgmt, but all they say is you can not take pain meds the rest of your life, would like to know what I am supposed to do? I am 39 years old with 2 children, and the pain is horrible, but no one seems to know what to do, so I understand how you feel.