New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

This could be mold illness- causes gastrointestinal issues, burring eyes, and joint pain.

I've had the Sam thing it's mind boggling

God bless everyone I've been sick over to weeks now went to ER 3 times seen my doc. First they said anxiety than maybe flu symptoms. After being at er for the 3rd time they did a cat scan. They said I had GI. No meds they make me feel Real sick..I've lost 12 in 2 weeks have no appetite. Feel so weak My body shakes my legs feel weird feel dizzy real be cramps at times bloating constipation had a lot off blood work done all seems great they said.. So I'm praying trusting in God that he has healed me... Walking in faith... I also feel weird when i breath like some type of hot in my chest..

How are you feeling now?

Wow, all of these are my exact symptoms!!! I'm in the Midwest and a lot of people here are down with the flu but whatever I have had been hanging on for two weeks. I have also lost weight, but I muscle through meals in smaller portions. You have to keep up your strength somehow. Im taking Florajen 3 probiotic and it seems to have helped a bit. I poop right when I wake up and then twice again after breakfast, loose stools. Nausea follows for at least an hour or two afterwards and I feel very fatigued most of the day. This is so frustrating! My doc wants me on some drug for IBS but honestly I don't think that's it. I was perfectly normal before this. My best guess is a very lingering virus. Has anyone gotten any answers about this?

Hi, did you ever feel better or get answers? I'm in the same boat and it's so frustrating :(

Apprentice

I had stomach flu with nausea, diarrhea and vomiting for 5-6 days that ended about 3 weeks ago (1/25/17), but I still have lingering nausea and no appetite 24/7. When I am able to make myself eat I usually feel sick afterwards. I've lost 12lbs. 

The lingering symptoms sound benign, but the protracted nausea, lack of appetite, and intense discomfort have rendered me relatively non-functional.  The strangest effect for me are bouts of anxiety and what appears to be depression, which is out of character for me. 

I've Googled the heck out of lingering symptoms after stomach flu and have read that it can take 2-3 weeks for the GI tract to recover. I hit 3 weeks today and still suffering.  I was completely healthy before the stomach flu  and expected to be fully recovered by now. 

I would love to hear from anyone out there that had symptoms and timeline similar to mine that has fully recovered!

I have the same symptoms. I am 13, almost 14, and it started over winter break, maybe, december 23 or 24, 2016. I couldnt and didnt want to participate in anything and really ruined my vacation. Anyway, its still going on, and it's February 16, 2016. My symptoms are mild stomach ache, headaches some days, and diarrhea, but it's rare. The stomach aches happen almost everyday, to the point where I don't want to exercise. I used to play volleyball and basketball, but now I just want to lay low and relax. I went to the doctor and blood tests and urine ana stoole tests all came back negative. This is ruining my life! Can you please tell me whats going on with me?

I have the same problems. I have the same symptoms. I am 13, almost 14, and it started over winter break, maybe, december 23 or 24, 2016. I couldnt and didnt want to participate in anything and really ruined my vacation. Anyway, its still going on, and it's February 16, 2016. My symptoms are mild stomach ache, headaches some days, and diarrhea, but it's rare. The stomach aches happen almost everyday, to the point where I don't want to exercise. I have lost like 10 pounds, and I used to play volleyball and basketball, but now I just want to lay low and relax. I went to the doctor and blood tests and urine ana stool tests all came back negative. This is ruining my life! Can you please tell me whats going on with me?

Apprentice
Are you feeling any better now?

Apprentice
Are you better now? I'm looking for some hope.

Hi there. Sorry to say I'm personally still in the same boat. Its been 3 weeks for me as well. I lost several pounds, slowly gaining it back by muscling through my meals even though I often don't feel great afterwards. My doctor gave me a medication for IBS, since apparently sometimes a GI virus can set off post-infectious IBS, but it only masks the symptoms...doesn't treat. Again, just posting so you know you're not alone. I have NEVER had a stomach flu last this long. I'm really wondering if we have a new super bug on our hands....seems that a lot of people are in the same boat,. BTW, don't get too down, I am a high anxiety person but I also recognized that a lot of my personal anxiety about this illness has to do with the unsettling nausea. It confuses you because you're hoping you don't have to run to the toilet right away! Here's hoping we get some answers. Very odd.

Apprentice

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I'm curious what med your doctor prescribed and if it works for you without side effects. My doctor recomended Zantac but I'm reluctant to try any meds just to mask symptoms, as I unfortunately tend to suffer the adverse side effects of many drugs and I don't want to exacerbate my problems. Currently, I'm only taking Zofran as needed for nausea....sometimes it provides short term relief and other times it only slightly takes the edge off. When it does provide relief I feel a false sense of security that I can eat, but then I feel sick after eating.

I'm curious to know how this has affected your job..  Have you been functional at work? It has been hard for me to focus and I've had to take a lot of sick days 

Again, thanks for your reply.

I have had the same stomach issues for 4 weeks now. I get fever, chills, severe nausea ... never threw up but certainly had lots of diarrhea...it keeps coming and going. No one seems to be catching it from me at home so that makes me think it's not a virus... very scary...I am in Michigan. ..anyone else having these symptoms?

Hi again, sorry for late response. I know how I am personally with these things and goodness knows this illness has made me a hypochondriac...so I have been obsessively checking forums like this to find others like me, haha. Misery loves company I suppose.

My doc had prescribed me an anti-spasmodic medication for the stomach called Levsin (Hycosomine). I wish I could say it helped me, but I feel like all it did was help the cramps I was having before a bowel movement (excuse me for being gross), and that was early on in the illness. I took it for three days and then stopped because it was giving me extreme drowsiness and a feeling I can only fondly describe as absolutely loopy. (: I have to agree with you on the nausea...honestly not much has helped me in that regard because like you said, everything just masks the symptoms, doesn't actually treat. Mornings are the worst for me. I muscle through my cereal as best I can, but always some indigestion afterwards. Peppermint tea during and after the meal seems to help me a bit, as well as chewing thoroughly and taking my time as much as I can.

As for my job, I'm fortunate that I'm a stay at home mom, in some ways. Unfortunate in others, since my kids are huge eaters and this makes meals an absolute pain for me, especially during the early phase of this sickness where I honestly couldn't stand to touch food a bit. For me, small snacks throughout the day seem to help me curb the acid that's in my stomach right now. The key is finding snacks that won't make you sick. I personally have decent luck with things like bananas, bread and popcorn. Bland, yes, but for me sugar and spice aren't my friends right now (how I miss my cookies!). As hard as it is, find small snacks that work for you and much on those at work. Keeping my actual meals on the smaller side has also helped me through this, as much as I am eager to gain back my weight. I do drink water and stay hyrdrated but I try to avoid downing a ton of it at a time. The stomach seems to really need a lot of time to heal with whatever this c**p is and too much of ANYTHING will set it off.

Sorry for the long reply, I just know that *I* like as much info as possible from people about these things. I am extremely relieved to say that today I was able to eat a meal with NO indigestion or upset tummy afterwards. That was the first time for me in almost 1 month. I went through my day with relatively little nausea. I'm hesitant to say I've turned the corner, because this has been such a looooooong sickness, but at least it seems to be some progress.

FYI, if you or anyone else needs a bullet of my overall symptoms for this illness:

-General feeling of maleise, found that this has been the worst infection I have ever had and I have had many times where I've wondered if its actually something more serious (dramatic, yes, but not being able to shake the nausea causes you to not eat and that causes weight loss...scary)
-Weight loss, due to nausea
-Felt like my intestines were doing somersaults inside my stomach (very odd, though I'm a small person, so maybe I'm just more sensitive?)
-Diahreea in the beginning, a lot
-Progressing to loose stools about 3-4 times a day
-Feeling "full" after only eating a small amount
-Gas, burping, especially earlier in illness
-Lethargy, depression and anxiety

***I had a full blood work up....CBC, metabolic panel, urine test, cervical cancer check, clinical pregnancy test....all fine and no red flags, pg test negative***

My best guess is that this is some kind of GI infection that is taking a really long time to wear off. From what I've heard, this illness seems to be infecting only one or two people per family, meaning not everyone who is around you will come down with it. But, at least we know there are others out there. I guess my biggest question I'd love to know is if its bacterial or a true virus. E coli, giardia, etc come to mind. Either way, strangest thing I've ever experienced, hands down. How are you feeling lov4k9s?