New Reply New Topic Followed by 19 people

For the past 8 years, I've had a strange soreness and aching in a very localized spot deep in the front of my neck next to my throat. Doctors cannot see or feel any lump. I can't feel a lump, either. There isn't any swelling.

It's as if I would have to press my finger very, very deeply into my neck in order to locate it. It doesn't feel like a large area that is sore; it feels like the soreness and aching is limited to a very small place. It gets so sore that it hurts when I swallow, or when I turn my head, or when I bend my neck.

It's not IN my throat. It doesn't feel like a lump in my throat. My throat doesn't seem to be related to it. I try to explain that to the doctors, and they can't see anything abnormal when they look in my throat with a camera. Also, nothing showed up on an xray or when dye was injected into my vein.

I wouldn't worry if it didn't happen all of the time. Not only does it get extremely sore at times, but sometimes it aches. Yesterday it ached all day long, always in one localized spot deep in the neck next to my throat.

Also, whenever it gets sore, there's a strange feeling when I swallow, as if a tendon or ligament moves over something there, so that it makes a "popping" or "clicking" feeling.

I've tried relentlessly to diagnose the problem myself. I've searched so many websites trying to find photos of the internal structure of the front of a neck. I've looked on sites about lymph nodes, thryoid, ligaments, salivary glands, etc. I can't find anything that helps me understand this.

Whenever I take antibiotics for a sinus or ear infection, the soreness will go away. But it always eventually comes back. The soreness sometimes seems to begin beneath my left jaw, right under the bone where my tooth absess was years ago. But the tooth was taken care of by my oral surgeon, so why is it still getting sore there? After I take antibiotics for a few days, the soreness "moves" from beneath my jaw to that same localized area deep in my neck. Then it will be extremely sore for several days. After about 7 days of antibiotics it will disappear. But it ALWAYS comes back!

Seems like it might be a lymph node, but WHY is it always getting sore?? I do have a lot of sinus problems. It's weird, but it is always the left side of my face and sinuses that seem to be the most infected whenever I get a sinus infection. Also, I've had some ear infections the past couple of years.

This is really worrying me. I'm tired of the chronic soreness and pain. It sometimes is so sore that I don't want to move my head or even swallow. And then whenever it aches, I worry about that!

Does anyone have any insights for me? I just don't know what else to do. Would an MRI detect a possible lump deep in my neck? What other tests might help? I am about to go crazy trying to get help. Should I see an ear, nose, and throat doctor? Or do I need a different specialist?

(I don't know if this is related, but I often have sharp shooting pains in my left ear. I've had some ear infections, and my ear often feels clogged.)

I just started noticing the exact same thing about a couple of days ago.

If I push my finger into my neck, left side of my throat there is a very specific area where there is pain. I have no idea what it is. If I turn my head to the left side or lift my head up the pain seems to intensify.

WOW i have EXACTLY the same thing, not a symptom more or less! please tell me what you were diagnosed with as im in the same boat and its driving me nutts! please please email me at iampercival88@yahoo.com if you get this! THANKS!

. . . Damn, I have the same thing. It's driving me nuts. Underneath my left jaw. Sometimes I don't feel anything, sometimes it aches pretty bad - almost feels like a toothache. Late at night seems worst. No lump, nothing you can feel. Just a very localized sore spot under my left jaw. I can feel it if I turn my head, or rotate my head down.

Swallowing is uncomfortable. Not sore throat painful . . . but just like food etc. has to navigate around an achy spot.

Very weird. You folks sound like you know what I'm talking about though.

Any answers?

Thanks for your responses. Looks like we're all in the same boat!

I think the only thing to do is for me to get an MRI. I guess that would be the best diagnostic tool.

If and when I find out my answer, I'll definitely post it here in hopes that it might help someone else.

Until then, good luck to all of you!! (And if you should get a diagnosis, please post it here!)

Wow....I've got this too. For me, it's been a mild pain in the left side of my throat that I really only notice when I swallow. Sometimes, I doen't feel it at all. Seems to go away when I drink fluids.

It doesn't hurt when I talk, cough, or move my neck, but when I swallow saliva, I get this mild pain. I went to the doctor, who though that I might have some sort of infection. He prescribed Amoxicillan (antibiotic) which I've been taking, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I'll be going back to the doctor on Friday for a follow up. Has anyone heard anything yet?

got it here, too. i'm excited to see what it probably is - i'm w/o insurace, so someone else doing the testing is perfect - THANK YOU!!

I have this problem too, however, I have a small bump that feels like a deep cyst or something. I am interested to see what the diagnosis is.

i have pain right side of neck when swallowing and ongoing pain in r ear and neck for past year. my gp did bloods initially , told me anxiety could cause it. I am on ENT waiting list now. Antibiotics seem to clear it but not for long. had dental treatment , large extraction on same side year before this started. Very scared about this and dont feel my gp is doing much to help me.

Me too! Lots of sinus trouble. Often when my sinuses are infected, my whole body aches, then my whole head. Now this painful spot. Discovered how tender it is while applying make-up. No swelling. Just tenderness. I do, however feel my whole face and back of neck is swollen. Anyone?

It's kind of funny, but the left sore spot has become predominant. Anything else on sore throat should be ruled out (mostly) as some kind of derivitive nature. I do have a left side lump-pain. It has been 6 years. So, for those who have had this kind of pain- please seek special help. This week I will be admitted to a specialist. He has looked in my throat and nose. My left nasal is collapsed, and he is fearing that there is something serious in my throat. My glands are swollen all the time (3 years). So - who is procrastinating now? I am 34 years old, and have two beautiful daughters. I owe it to them to get to the bottom of this. You should do the same. I am very nervous, because I smoke outside, and I think that I am not gonna like the results.

I went to an Otolaryngologist (ENT) for this and learned that I have Acid Reflux. Imagine how relieved I was, especially after thinking for the past two months that I might have cancer. His advice:

1. Sleep with my torso slightly elevated (not just the head, but the entire torso). He recommended that I go to Bed, Bath & Beyond to buy bricks that they have and place a couple under each side of the head of my bed. Doing this will make it more difficult for the stomach acid to reach my throat because it has to travel up.

2. Don't eat more than 2-3 hours before going to bed.

3. Prilosec OTC.

I hope this helps.

I had this pain for about 3 months. It was a very strange type of soreness, not the usual sore throat. I went to an Otolaryngologist (ENT) for this and learned that I have Acid Reflux. Imagine how relieved I was, especially after thinking for the past two months that I might have cancer. His advice:

3. Prilosec OTC.

I hope this helps.

Yup i have the same symptons as all you above...

I also suffer from health anxiety...

For starters I shouldnt really be looking things like this up on the internet as it just enforces my paranoia...

How many of you have a good old poke and prod around the said area? I know I do..

I think we are all in the same boat and should all be making an effort to stop poking and making it worse...

Rich coming from me! Easier said than done... I know that feeling of dread where you spiral out of control in your mind

Hi all!
I have had the very same pain for a few years. It is all the very delicate muscles in your neck. They go up both sides of the neck, around and even into the shoulders. ANYTHING can throw these little guys out of whack. I strongly recom. a massage to the upper shoulders, shoulder blades, neck- front & back, base of the skull, even the face and jaws.
If this doesnt get the pain subdued in about 3 days, see a doctor!