New Reply New Topic Followed by 17 people

You should see an ENT.
Your mouth can get very dry from a blocked salivary gland.
Both ENT and regular Doctor has told me that.

Have you seen a very good dentist?! (teaching college dentist)
You most likely have TMJ Syndrome.

I know it sounds strange but if your doctors have ruled out just about everything else,

TMJ Syndrome will cause the clicking and popping sounds you are experiencing along with other symptoms including jaw, neck and temple soreness, sometimes with radiating pain in the neck, ears, throat, temples, sinuses and sometimes behind the eyes.

The clicking and popping noise is often associated with the jaw joint's irregular movements within and sometimes moving little too close to the outside area of the socket, if not completely out of the socket.

Pain on one side of your throat, ears, and teeth & gums could mean your bite is uneven and the one side of your jaw, teeth, gums, muscles, and tendons is absorbing all the stress from chewing and movement and causing damage to the jaw and tooth sockets as well as teeth and gums and bone.

The CURE:

Try finding a dental specialist who has extensive knowledge in Gnathology, preferably one that has studied with Peter K Thomas, DDS or Charles Stewart, DDS, they pioneered the research which has provided relief to many patients who really thought they were going crazy or were written off elsewhere as hypochondriacs.

Some treatments are expensive, but there are some really not too expensive that can get you out of pain.

1. You might only need a minor or several adjustments (especially if there is swelling in your jaw joints) to your teeth, as the swelling goes down your bite most often shifts several times until your jaw finds is 'centric' perfect and most comfortable, pain free resting and eating spot. If that makes sense to you.

If the adjustments are done improperly, which happened to me, it creates more pain and missing tooth structure which could only be replaced by crowns.

2. One fix could be an acrylic or sometimes metal, usually gold, because it is believed to wear at the same rate as natural teeth 'Bite Re Positioner' which alleviates symptoms and helps reduce the swelling in your jaw joints and gums by evening out the bite and balancing the pressure on your teeth as well as in your jaw joints which give everything time to heal.

The theory is that if your bite is off it creates an imbalanced movement of your jaw which creates stress on you neck, head, and teeth, everything is connect and works together, if one is off due to tooth erosion, or movement through orthodontics which occurred in my case, or birth defect: underdeveloped jaw, over developed jaw, jaw socket unevenness, which is often okay due to the cartilage in the jaw joint, but not okay if worn out or dislocated once age, injury, or accidents occur.

If you don't or can't wear a "Bite Repositioner' due to your work (models, film stars, television news casters) I've seen temporary crowns placed at strategic places in the mouth and spot reductions on the temps until the jaw is comfortable and swelling and pain reduced.

3. A night guard might be all you need, too which would be wonderful considering how much all the other options cost.

But, if you are hearing clicking and popping, it's most likely TMJ Syndrome if your MDs have given you a clean bill of health.

So, I'd see a specialist and until then, if it were me, I'd eat only soft foods and take smaller bites.

Please NOTE: If you begin to hear a scraping noise which is similar to the sound your brakes make when the brake pads need changing, that metal upon metal grind on rotors. You'll know the sound when you hear it, it's very distinct!

You should see Dental Orthopedic DDS and or MD (Kaiser Permanente had one years ago who was a DDS/MD) and have that area evaluated.

That noise is generally considered very bad, and the cause could be that:
- the cartilage has moved positions in your jaw joint
- is considerably worn through
- the end of jaw bone in the socket is rubbing against the socket without cartilage protecting it as much as it should.

If you hear a loud pop in your ear and your jaw is getting stuck:
- the jaw bone could have broken through the jaw socket into areas of brain and ear canal nerves and tissues
-the jaw bone could be out of the socket and needs to be gently coaxed back into the socket much like a dislocated shoulder.

Do Not try to reposition your jaw on your own, as often seen in the movies with shoulder dislocations. The bone in front of the jaw socket is fragile and forcefully moving your jaw against it could cause it to break, and a sharp bone scraping against tissues and causing more problems is not what you need.

Sometimes it will ease back in on it's own if you relax, but if it's symptomatic you should really get it evaluated before more damage occurs. Both situations could become very serious.

Eating hard foods, large mouthfuls of food, and biting into foods tend to aggravate TMJ quite a bit.

It's not fun, I know I've been there, but there is help and once it's fixed you'll be surprised at how amazing it feels.

I didn't realize just how much pain I was in until it was gone.... it was a constant tension thing with clicking, popping, and ringing in my ears. My jaw was popping out of the socket every time I took a bit of anything after wearing braces for 2 years.

To repair my problem I had to have TMJ surgery, braces, and crowns on my back teeth. I wore prior to the surgery a 'Bite Repositioner' for about 6 months and my teeth and jaw were so out of alignment surgery was the only option and the surgery couldn't be performed to fix the problem completely, so braces, then crowns....

These days Orthodontists consider everything when straightening teeth, but when I was a preteen that wasn't the case sad to say.

I hope this helps you. I know this is a long drawn out advice, but I hope it helps you. Good Luck!

I've been experiencing the exact same feeling under my jaw beside my Adam's apple for 3 weeks now. Like most, mines on the left. I've had a history of minor reflux. What I can safely conclude is that this is either caused by GERD or TMJ. Before symptoms showed, I was actually excessively chewing on gum to quit smoking. I had about 5 packs of gum the entire day. The next day my head and jaw hurt quite badly. 3 days later the pain was gone and was replaced by this mild and mellow pain. Pain isn't quite the right word for this. Just a mild discomfort. But enough to get me worried. Been to a GP but he diagnosed it as sore throat. Unbelievable how so many people suffer from this and doctors are still clueless. My doctor actually gave me a look like I was just imagining things. So yea, either GERD or TMJ.