I'm 22 years old and for about the past 3 1/2 weeks, I've been havingsome strange symptoms. I had a "pregnancy scare"-my period was unusual, no cramps and a lighter flow than usual. I freaked out about the chance of pregnancy, even though I hadn't had sex but did engage in other activities where there was a small risk of having semen around my vagina. I was very stressed out and I wasn't eating/sleeping well, became constipated/bloated/had stomach and lower back pain. I stopped at a women's clinic and had a blood test a few days ago to ease my worries and it was negative--and I was assured that at this point, 5 weeks after fooling around, if I was pregnant, it would certainly be positive.

However, my symptoms haven't gone away. I'm still getting a bit constipated, having lower back pain and stomach pain (as a result of constipation?), and I'm experiencing unusual breast pain. I started out with soreness for a few days before my period, and the soreness continued throughout my period (which was a bit unusual, since my breasts are typically sore around my period but it usually dissipates a few days in). After my period ended, the soreness didn't completely go away, though it's changed. Now it's primarily sensitivity around my right nipple, sometimes above or to the right side of the breast. It's not constant/it comes and goes, and it's usually only painful to the touch, though I occasionally feel a slight twinge without contact. About a week ago, I did experience a sudden sharp stinging on the upper right part of my right breast as I reached over to get something, though it did not feel like a muscle problem but instead something within the breast tissue. I also sometimes have a little tenderness around/below my left nipple as well, though not nearly as frequently and it's much more mild.

I know that a lot of breast pain is related to the menstrual cycle, but I've never experienced breast pain continuing throughout my cycle. I'm not on any type of birth control. I work in women's health and I know that the vast majority of the time, breast cancer does not present with pain unless it's progressed to a much later stage, in which case there would be other symptoms. I haven't felt any lumps, though it seems like the tissue around the front of my right breast may be a bit firmer than it used to be. I've heard that breast pain can occur around ovulation, which would be around this point in my cycle, but the pain hasn't just started. I know that caffeine can also have an effect and though I drink a fair amount of coffee, those habits haven't changed recently, so unless years of coffee consumption have suddenly caught up with me, I don't think that could be causing it.

Could this be the result of stress/anxiety? Should I be worried about an underlying hormonal condition? Fibrocystic changes? I'm inclined to think stress, but at the same time, I went through some incredibly stressful situations in college and while I found it certainly took a toll on my body (weight gain, skipped periods, insomnia) I've never experienced these symptoms.

I moved to a new city over the summer for a new job, and haven't found a physician here yet. My concern is the wait time to get an appointment. I know it's probably nothing serious, and I've never been the type of person who freaks out about their health--I don't usually worry about every little passing problem--but I feel like something just isn't right about my body, and it's a deeply unsettling feeling.

My boobs have done that before also. It lasted awhile then went away. I have no clue as to why.

This is the same person, I wasn't signed in. How long did it last? I seem to have started my period today, still there. I have an appointment for a physical in 2 weeks, I'm hoping either it'll resolve itself or I'll bring it up then. But it's freaking me out.