New Reply New Topic Followed by 13 people

Something happened to me and I am terrified! Today I lost vision in my left eye, without any warning sign. I have never suffered of eye pain or something like this, and I cannot believe this happened to me. I live alone and there is nobody I could ask to help me and say what is wrong. Should I run to the doctor, is there any reasonable cause for this condition?

I cannot tell you for sure, but only what happened to me. I suffer of optic neuritis for a few months already. First symptoms I have noticed were sudden loss in one eye, the same as you did. You have to know that symptoms of optic neuritis may vary on an individual basis for each patient. The only one who can provide adequate diagnosis of symptoms is your doctor. He is the one who will say whether your sudden vision loss is indeed symptoms of optic neuritis. All I could say is that sudden vision in one eye, and progressive losses of vision over 24-48 hours are signs for optic neuritis. Patients might report partial and total vision loss in affected eye. I do not know which one is case with you, but I wish you to visit your doctor anyway. I hope he will be able to help you and return your vision soon.

how long did it take to get over it??

My mom suffered from central retinal artery occlusion. She had sudden painless loss of vision in one eye. If the vision is gone (90%) then most likely there is a artery occlusion. Some times people can get branch occlusions and the result is to usually get some vision back. Unfortunately, the window of opportunity for central retinal ARTERY occlusion is only 30-90 minutes with limited improvement. Usually you lose your eye sight with this type. My mom still hasn't regained any sight. The bigger problem is what occluded the artery. Was it plaque from the carotid artery or something from the heart? You need to follow up with a doctor to ensure that you don't have something more serious going on.

I also suffered from central retinal arter occlusion. It was very sudden. I see nothing but white clouds in that eye. It will not get better. I have been to specialists all over my state and they still do not know why it happened. I show no signs of plaque buildup in my carotid artery. It is very rough to get used to. It has been 20 months and I am NOT used to it. It is very discouraging that there is not any help readily available because "It only affected one eye." Please see a doctor and find out. Hopefully, it is something they can reverse.

I lost sudden use of my left eye as well and was told to go to emergency but after a couple of tests my decision was to go home and fast with juice and citrus in order to reduce the possibility of a blockage. The only test I did not do was an MRI. The conclusion was that nothing was wrong within the eye itself.

guest wrote:

This happened to me last Saturday. The vision is permanently gone from my right eye. I am feeling absolutely desolate. All week I have been dropping things, pouring tea which has gone all over the worktops instead of into the cup, I can't see to do my hobbies. The only comment from the opthalmic doctor was, "Be positive - this incident will help us to find out what other things have gone wrong in your body." I am fed up of well-meaning people telling me how they other eye will adjust and how life will be wonderful again. Always from people with perfect vision, never from one-eyed people. I have never felt so low and never ever in my life have I been depressed but I am now. I feel as if I've fallen into a deep dark hole which I can't climb out of. If I can't do the things I love and am skilled at ( I'm a writer / artist / musician amongst other things ) I can't see much point to life at all.

gieske wrote:

Hi gieske,
My name is Doris, may i know your age pls. As my daughter who is 23 years of age tis year happen to have the same case like yours just 2 weeks ago....but her vision came back after a few hours (not fully,
only 80%)she had undergone to few doctors and am now in a hospital for more observation checking. Doctors says she had eye stroke maybe due to too much sterioid cos 6 mths ago she was having a high fever with dangue fever (biten by mosquitoes) haiss...Doctor also say tis only happen to ppl who are 40 years and above.
Hope you dont mind to keep me inform. Btw may GOD bless u too. Hope you regain back your vision by now.

can you help i was at work today and all the sudden couldent see anything out of left eye apart from the middle part of my eye i came oer very strange it lasted about 5 minutes it really freightened me what could this be

Did u figure anything out? My husband had the same thing in 1 eye then totally fine 5 min later. No other weird symptoms

Me wrote:

Same happened to me today - sudden loss of vision in one eye for only a couple of moments - felt really strange. I work at a GP surgery, my bp was checked and normal. My Dr told me to go to emergency eye clinic this evening and to Dr's Monday morning for full range of blood tests including fasting. I would advise to do same.

I have had the same. It is a silent migraine headache and can come on every once in a while but seldom. It is nothing to be frightened about.
i've had it three times in the last three years.

This is not a good answer at all! When you lose vision in your eye, even if for just five minutes, it could be VERY serious. Normally it's caused by an occlusion, meaning a blood clot lodged in your eye - but more seriously, where did the blood clot come from? Vision loss is often a symptom of something much more serious like occluded carotid arteries. Go see your doctor and run all the necessary tests.

The same thing has happened to me. a week ago i saw white clouds in perphrial vision, then the next day they were grey clouds. I saw a doctor later that week, was told it was due to extremely high blood pressure, possibly a stroke of the eye and the vision might come back. So far no go. The doc ordered a ct scan of the brain to check for anything else. So if this is happening to you, get to the dr immediatly. Fortunatly i still have central vision in left eye, lets hope it stays that way

I too lost the sight in the upper outer quadrant of my right eye whilst watching tv and lost half of the action. Frightening. Checked on the amsler grid which i keep pinned up in my bathroom and the squares turned into triangles top right. Sight returned after a few minutes and I tried to read but it was like looking thro a tube with only one word in bold type at anyone time. Couldn't understand what I was reading and this was followed by a short bout of nausea. Decided to go to bed and see what sleep achieved. Everything back to normal on waking. I had many tests by my usual optician within days and he was unable to suggest the cause other than perhaps the steroid nasal spray prescribed about two months ago by my GP. Not happy as different sites give opposite opinions on the safety of the spray.