New Reply New Topic Followed by 16 people

This post is an extension of the

After Hemorrhoidectomy Surgery - Recovery time, Swelling, Pain thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

dear Lord; after reading everyone's posts; I am relieved. My hubby just had this procedure done and I was starting to worry a bit about his pain after the BMs.. he is trying to keep them as soft as possible. I did get alot of great tips from everyone.

Hope everyone has finally healed.

Hi everyone,

I only have a few questions re the swelling that some people here also experience. If someone has the answer, PLEASE reply

my question is : the swelling (that is said to be normal post-op, that looks like an protruding hemorrhoid, is horse-shoe-shaped sometimes). Has anyone who had it post-hemorrhoidectomy seen it go down? or better, disappear? and how long did it take? and
I had the op on 13days ago. the swelling is still there. Im starting to worry that it wont go away, as one person reported here that it didnt go away after 1 year. its freaking me out! :((
thanks

and just another question: did anyone use anything to reduce the swelling? did it help?
thanks

Hi annmonna, I think that ibuprofen is pretty good to help reduce the swelling although I can't verify that--that's info that comes from a friend. Let me know if you found something that worked for you!

Hi

I really would like to know if the swelling does go down, i had surgery 5 days ago and think it now looks worse than it did before the surgery. I am worried as my first BM i had to push abit and worried i have brought them back just after surgery, is this normal??

thanks

hi everyone,
thanks healthfitnessguy. yeah i took some ibuptofen and put Arnica cream on, the swelling has slightly gone down (by about 10% i think). but most of it is still there. its been 30days post surgery n im starting to feel that maybe i will have to live with it forever.
well, my problem now is eventhough im not constipated, passing BMs is still difficult. there isnt pain. but its hard to move, exactly my situation before surgery. i have to drink heaps of warm water and eating only vegetables and fibre and lactulose. so my stool is soft. but its just like theres something there that make the first 10mins in the toilet very difficult. im now spending at least 30mins daily in the loo. and the stress associated with each BM everyday makes me wonder if i should ever have had the surgery in the first place??? no more prolapse hemorrhoid post BM is the only benefit ive seen out of this surgery, but the discomfort, stress everyday about pooping plus the anal skin tag seem to be harder to deal with...

:-(

i had all those problems, pain and all. Been 9 days since i had it but now there is this HORRID smelly dischage. Is it infected? I cant sleep or eat and the discharge keeps pouring out where i can feel it. Smell is so bad that i want to vomit, did something go wrong? Or is this normal. I thought signs of healing was NO foul smells but i just wanted to see if most had this.

Okay i called the oncall doc he said to not worry and just make an appointment on wed to have a look, but i dont see to many people talking about discharge after their surgry. Its yellow/brown and nonstop comming out, the smell is so bad i have to wear a pad, change and wash my pants every 3 hours and i have washed my blankets and sheets every night. It started to discharge a few days ago, had a small oder and i can understand that, but since yesterday it just smells really really bad, and more foul than it did before and alot stronger. Did anyone else have extremly bad discharge and order? I can feel it non stop actually comming out and i know this all seems gross, trust me its all i can smell and im showering every 3 hours and i want to puke. Please, did anyone have this problem? not just fould discharge but so massive you are smelling up everything and the smell makes you sick kind of discharge. I dont know how to help it until i go to the doc on wed, i cant live with this smell for 3 days. pleaser if you had a huge problem like this please email me and tell me what you did and what can help until wed.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I got my 'dectomy on 22nd Oct. In the last 10 days I have gone through a physical and emotional journey that I never want to live thru again. Physically I am not doing good - stings like a MF down there, bleeding, and I now have the famous "new haemmeroid" which I'm relieved to see others mention. This new one is 10 times worse than the problems I had before the surgery. No chance of going back to work yet, or even in the near future - I cant sit down. On pain killers (Co-Dydramol) and anti-inflammatory (Doclofenac) and antibiotics. Also eating hi fibre, drinking loads of water and lying on my front/side a lot.

To be honest I didnt have serious problems before the op, but whenever I exercised or lifted anything I got some pain. Also after BMs I had to push part of me back inside, so the doc said it was prolapse and best if I got the "excess" removed. (I had many years of creams, and 2 epiosdes of banding, so this was the only option left).

Going to see my consultant again tomorrow to see what the deal is with the "new" haemmeroid. Will update message board again after this.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ANYONE LOOKING TO GET THIS DONE:
Check that this is absolutely neccessary, and if so you should be prepared to have a few days of intense pain followed by many weeks of discomfort. Time is the healer.

Guest wrote:

Can you let me know what the results of your consultant visit was? I would appreciate it if you have any insight. Thanks!

I had mine removed less than a week ago. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Had good pain meds and a topical cream to apply 4 times a day. They also have me taking 3 warm baths a day for the first week, two a day for the second week. I also have been putting 3 arnica tabs under my tongue 3 times a day, also two teaspoons of mineral oil in my oj morning and evening, all slips out with ease. and now back at work. No swelling and doing fine. Hope any of this will help others.

I had hemorroid surgery 2 weeks and each bm hurts worse than the one before...I had 2 that were inside and have had blood at times after a movement..Some bm has been hard, which makes it more painful, and even a soft bm hurts like hell..I had no idea that it was going to be sooooo painful..I have 1st follow up appt with the doc tomorrow..I've lost 5 pounds since the surgery too..Had to start wearing pads because I ruined a lot of underwear..

hello all:

am new to this post but wanted to share my experience and hopefully get some feedback as well. had surgery for two huge internals on fri 10-2 (also had surgery for a fissure a couple years back as well) and i have experienced most of the same recovery issues of most posters here (ie: pain, bleeding, difficulty going for a few days, and swelling). the swelling has resulted in two new hemmorhoid-looking lumps of tissue on the anus area. i actually went back to the doctor earlier today and he non-chalantly referred to these as being "accessory hemmorhoids" which he said were normal and said that they should go away andtold me to come back in 3 months for another appt. to see where everything is at at that point.

i did some looking around the web to see if anyone else heard of this term and what their results and experiences were yet i only could find one or two web posts which were part of some medical journal listing (which only contained the term but no further explanation). i don't know if anyone else had had a chance to see their doctors about the same issue or has gotten any feedback or improvements, etc. but i would really like to hear any info that could be shared please.

i am honestly rather alarmed even after seeing my doctor, who by the way originally told me that i could go back to work the monday following my surgery?!?!?! as you all know that is pretty much an impossibility as it was for me! i'm starting to think that he doesn't know what he is talking about yet my mother who has been a nurse for 40 years said that many of surgeons that she has worked with have the same kind of attitude/demeanor with their patients' concerns and she too believes that the swelling will go away with time and that i am worrying myself over nothing. i dunno, after 10+ years of dealing with these and the nightmarish lifestyle that goes along with them i never want them back, let alone more surgery, it scares me at even the slightest thought of it.

all things aside, still would greatly like to hear any more advice or info anyone may have to offer. and if anyone has any questions they would like to ask me about recovering would be more than glad to help as i too know this is not easy at all! thanks in advance!!!

johnh

Hi there, I really appreciated reading your post and I think that a lot of people could benefit from readin git. I would like to hear whatever information others have to offer as well. Thanks for posting it!