i have just operated by this painfull surgery(hemorrhoidectomy) on 3rd march 2009 and recovery is satisfactory, the only concern is the swelling near the anus area, which is still not reduced also finding the anus hole narrow due to this my dr. don't want to remove the external swelling tags, he said if he do this the anus face will be much narrower, anyone pls. help me. realy i am afraid by these tags or swellings.

Vinod Rangwani

I think we got the same case. I had the surgery on April 16 and still swelling at this time. I had 8 piles and only 4 were removed. Guess its the 3'o clock, 5'o clock position piles seem to be swelling. Doc said they left it on purpose to prevent anal canal narrowing. I do find it painful especially sitting for a long time.

At times, i still find it stinging and painful during BM though i did stop on taking pain killers.

Please update me with whatever medications or therapy you have done. Am getting depressed here. Its almost 4 weeks now and still am in pain and swelling exactly like yours.

Thanks! Jerome

The recovery time differs from person to person. Some recover fast but for some it takes even up to 8 -10 weeks to recover. And there is no certainty that the problem will out come up again. Some people face bleeding weeks after the hemorrhoid surgery.

To speed up hemorrhoid surgery recovery, the patient will also have to do some things on his part like losing weight, avoiding alcohol, take proper food rich in fiber, drink lots and lots of water and so on. It is also important for the patient to keep pain killers handy. The patient should also take full rest after the surgery and apply necessary creams or gels on the area till the wound is healed. It is important for those recovering from hemorrhoid surgery to continue soaking the area in warm water or placing ice packs on the area and go for check ups even after the surgery.

What you are experiencing is normal but an occasional check with your doctor might put your mind at ease.

Is this is normal I got done from ng surgery april 8 and after 5days and after BM it has small bump..what I need to do..because I dont have my hermorrhoids back again..thank you