Its so strange! it began in the middle of my second semester of school. My pinky finger just blew up! so swollen. It fluxuates often. The strange thing about it is i did not injure it. When i first went to my GP he was convinced that it was a "mallet finger", which is an issue with the tendon. I had basic x-rays taken and all it shows is a thickening of the soft tissue on the dorsal side of my pinky finger. i was then reffered to a plastic surgeon. hes kind of stumped as well. i had a bone scan done to rule out chronic infection and an MRI to see if there was a begnine tumor on the tendon sheath. Another strange thing about it is when i went to see the surgeon there was a large bump on the ventral side located on the middle of my finger. shortly after i saw him the lump dissapeared, and after my MRI a very HARD and painful lump has appeared on the dorsal side of my distal PIP joint. the swelling has gone down quite a bit today.. i am seeing my surgeon on friday to look at the recent changes. but if anyone has experienced such a thing i would love to hear it...or just your opinion on this! its quite ugly and painful at times! oh yes and arthritis has been ruled out! i am happy about that! oh and i dont know if this is helpful but i went on an anitiinflammatory for a week and it fixed it right up..well it masked it anyways. Thanks!

I am wondering if an insect bite could have caused your pinky to swell up. I am glad the anti-inflammatory works for you.

I really can not say that I have heard for anything like that. It is very interesting that they couldn't find anything. I like the hoseclamps idea of an insect bite. Has any of your doctors mentioned this as an option?

I am curious to know if you were able to get this resolved as i am currently having the same problems. No medical professional can seem to diagnose it for me properly. Now ,y skin has starting cracking and peeling back from my knuckle and ventral side. Any advice would be great please!!