I know that jaundice is the most common of all liver disorders. It is a condition in which yellow discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes occur. I also know this is due to an increase in the bile pigments, namely, bilirubin in the blood. Although I learn all this, I still do not know how to recognize exactly when someone has jaundice. Can you tell me more about symptoms of this problem called jaundice?

The symptoms of jaundice are extreme weakness, headache, fever, and loss of appetite. Some patient also report severe constipation, nausea, and yellow discoloration of the eyes, tongue, skin, and urine. It could be that person experience dull pain in the liver region. Obstructive jaundice may be associated with intense itching, or by an obstruction of the bile ducts, which normally discharge bile salts and pigment into the intestine. The bile is mixed with blood and this gives a yellow pigmentation to the patient’s skin. The obstruction of the bile ducts could be due to gallstones or inflammation of the liver. This condition is known as hepatitis, and is caused by a virus. Some other causes of jaundice are haemolytic anaemia and certain diseases affecting the liver. For example, those diseases could be typhoid, malaria, yellow fever, and tuberculosis. Some doctors recommend the juice of bitter luffa, which is regarded as an effective remedy for jaundice, as well as tomatoes, that are valuable in jaundice.