Hi! I have a hormonal disorder. My doctor told me that probably he will need to remove my pituitary gland. I don't know anybody who had this surgery. I heard that I will need to take some drugs to replace the hormones. Please, does anybody can tell me something about taking replacement drugs after pituitary gland removal? Thank you!

Hello! I feel sorry for you but I hope that you will be ok. I know something about your problem because my mum had it. First you need to know that hormone supplements are usually given before surgery and must be taken for weeks. Of course, you need to take hormone replacements after removal. There are few different kinds of them.

hi
MY SISTER HAD CUSHINGS SYNDROME. THEY REMOVED THE TUMOR ON HER PITUITARY. UNFORTUNATELY HER PITUITARY IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONING. AS OF THIS DATE SHE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A COMPETENT PHYSICIAN TO REGULATE HER REPLACEMENT THERAPY.I HIGHLY RECCOMEND YOU FIRST SEEK OUT AN ENDOCRNOLGIST TO WORK WITH YOU BEFORE YOUR OPERATION OR YOU WILL BE TRADING ONE PROBLEM FOR ANOTHER !

bettye wrote:

Hi, I had my Pituitary gland removed 31 years ago, Jan 1977. I've been taking Hydrocortisone, Thyroxine and Testosterone during this time, and recently my speciallist has put me on Growth Hormone injections.
The main troubles I've had, until the recent addition were mood swings and difficultyin losing weight. Otherwise life's great; especially now I know Jesus. :D

bettye wrote:

:cry: Yes it is a tough road. But if you have to have it done you just have to. I will tell you this have you had the amount of children you want!!
You had better talk to your doctor about it. If you don’t have time for that like I didn’t, as soon as you get over the surgery and get better. You better work on having children soon after. Some times hormones aren’t completely gone soon after, but the longer you wait your estrogen will be gone and a tune more hormones will be gone. Let alone most will be gone right after. I don’t mind you calling me> 770-893-9371!! I truly feel like I can help you through this with a lot of information you will need to know!! If you are scared of me having your number call me on a privet phone number that I can’t see. You can call me when ever you want. I mean that!! Anyway, I have more important things to tell you about this!!! This removal of the pituitary glad is so envaled the doctor cant even think of everything you need to know. Don’t get me wrong if you have to have it, you have to have it done. But I can give you tips on how to make it through it a whole lot easer then I had did.

My thyroid gland shrank into oblivion and since then, my pituitary has been malfunctioning. I cannot sustain a level dose of thyroid hormone. And I have migraines constantly due to this imbalance. i already take bioidentical hormones in small doses. I can't tolerate hydrocortisone. Is there a way to coax the pituitary to settle down and function properly? I'm hypersensitive to ANY and ALL meds. I take Armour Thyroid simply because I can't tolerate any synthetic or generic.

Is there any way to bring the pituitary back into balance? I take testosterone and Bi-Est and Progesterone as well as Armour Thyroid. But even though my Armour dose is compounded into an extended release capsule, my morning dose still won't carry me 24 hours. I begin with 115mg each morning, and by 11-Noon or so, I musst take 2mg more, then by 4 p.m., two more 2mg, and then around 8-9p.m, another 2mg and in the night, two more mg. After awhile, it "builds up" in my system and I need to lower it a little. This, then, leads to a sudden drop and I'm popping my extra mgs like candy.

Does anyone have this problem?

I had a pituitary tumor in 1992 with a cyst growing on top. My main find was that I quit have my period. Because I was 41 at the time I thought I was going through menopause. After extensive testing the tomor and cyst were found. And found after surgery to be benign. I was very lucky and thank God to ths day. What I wasn't told was that I would have to be on drugs for the rest of my life. I started out with hormones, prednisone, liquid nose spray DDAVP to name a few. Because I was not told how to regulate the DDAVP I gained an enormous amount of weight in just 3 months which bothered me more than the tumor.
I eventually weaned myself from the prednisone and when the hormone scare came about I stopped the hormone and testosterone I was on. I continued with the nose spray DDVAP as I found I constantly and consistently needed it to keep me from having to pee. It also curbed my thirst. If I forgot to take the DDAVP I would be peeing alot, about every ten minutes, and I was so thirsty that my saliva would turn to almost shaving foam lather. I have had many MRI's over the years to establish the tumor had not returned.
2 weeks ago I went into have my left knee replaced. As they took my blodd and analyzed it I was told that I had dangerously low sodium count and they could not nor would not perform the knee surgery. I was then admitted to the hospital for 6 days with 3 days of a sodium drip in my arm and one hour of a magnesium drip. The doctors literally told me they could not believe I was still alive or that I had not experienced seizures. So God once again took care of me because he isn't ready for me. I had extensive blood work, crt and an MRI done while I was in the hospital. I am now again on prednisone (low dose) and thyroid medicines. The endocrinologist would not allow me to have the knee replacement at this time. He told me to come home and rest.
I went to see him Monday as my after care and he said I would not have to have any more MRI's of the pituitary because it is now gone and there's no reason for the MRI.
I feel fine as I did before going to the hospital. YA NEVER KNOW!

WELL I ACTUALLY HAD MY PITUTARY GLAND REMOVED I WAS PREGNANT WHEN THIS HAPPEND BECAUSE WHEN WOMEN GET PREGNANT THE PITUTARY GLAND GROWS A LITTLE BIT SO MINE OVER GREW AND RUPTURED IN MY HEAD AND CAUSED MAJOR HEAD ACHS I WAS 7 MONTHS PREGNANT I WAS FLOWN TO SEATTLE ON A HELICOPTER TO GET EMERGENCY BRAIN SURGERY TALK ABOUT CRAZY ...NE WAYS I HAD THE 18 HOUR SURGERY AND AFTER THAT I GOT VERY SICK THEY WOULDNT EVEN TELL ME WHAT I HAD ....ALL THOUGH I KNEW I HAD MENINJITAS<--MISS SPELLED YEAH I CONTRACTED THAT IN THE HOSPITAL NE WAYS I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR TWO MONTHS, I COULD GET UP AT ALL ....IT SUCKED BUT I GOT VERY THIRSTY ALL THE TIME I WAS ALSO DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETIES AFTER THAT AND ALSO I WAS ON MAN Y MEDICATIONS SUCH AS STEROIDS AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS AND ESTRIGEN <---I CANT SPELL AND ALSO SOME DDAP A SNIFFING SOLUTION AND ALSO HYDROCORTIZONE AND LEVOTHYROXIN I THINK THATS ALL MY MEDS NE WAYS .....MY SON WAS OK HES LITTLE BUT AT LEAST WERE ALIVE AND ALSO IM GETTING VERY VERY FAT IM ALWAYS THROWING UP AND SLEEPING M BODYS ALL MESSED UP NOW AND NOT TO MENTION IT I HAVE NO SEXUAL DRIVE ANY MORE AND IM ONLY 27 SUCKS FOR ME WELL IM NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU BUT ITS VERY SERIOUS AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK

Hi there, my mum had her pituitary gland removed. My only advice is to try everything else first. There are some brilliant naturopaths out there who can try and help regulate hormones and deal with tumours and, if you can find and a very good one, it is probably worth a shot, particularly if you are young. (Keep in mind that not all naturopaths are equal, usually the older they are, the more experience they have with these very serious issues).

Once you remove a gland, it creates a series of chain of reactions that will affect the rest of your life. If it must be done, it must be done, but I would try to push for removal of the tumour and at least try and keep part of the pituitary gland in place, and then work hard to find the people you need to help regulate your hormones from there. This is a very serious condition with very serious repercussions. Once the pituitary gland is removed, you will be on artificial hormones for life and they are a rather blunt instrument and poor substitute for the subtle functioning that occurs within the real glands.

Good luck

serina28 wrote:

Hi Serina

Even my father had undergone a surgery for a tumor during which pituitary gland was removed. Could you let me know what the doctors eventually prescribed about gaining weight? Will that be a persistent problem?

This doctor is in a bad way, if he thinks removing the pituitary gland is an option. It proves to me, there are doctors and there are doctors. This particualr fellow is not fit to in such a professin. I would give him a very very wide berth indeed. In fact he ought to be exposed and expelled as unfit for purpose. We have some wondeful doctors, don't let individuals such as this damage their reputation.  The above story says "I actually had my Pituitary gland removed " is not to be trusted. A lying cheat ....................masquerading as a patient ?  The only time a pituitary gland was removed here, the patient immediately died. This detail is uncontroverible.   You can and must cure the pituitary gland, when it becomes damaged,  as a matter of essential care,  to re-establish good health.

I was wondering if you could give an update on the outcome of your surgery? I've having the same thing done in about a week and a half and am looking for some insight as to what to expect. Thanks so much.

To those individuals asking about the removal of the pituitary gland, I doubt very much if these items are trustworthy. But here's a tip. If the doctor  insists in wishing to  to remove your pituitary gland, go the full hog, and have him remove our head.

ckr (qualified theatre nurse)

I'm sorry if you've had a bad experience. I'm only looking for support. I guess I should give you a full run down of what's going on. I was diagnosed with acromegaly when I was 17 (I'm 27 now) and have been on and off of sandostation LAR depot due to changing insurances, moving and what not. About two years ago I was finally able to get a proper MRI done and they show that I have a large tumor on the pituitary gland causing the acromegaly.. At first they were going to go in and remove just the tumor but thankfully they were able to contact the pediatric endocronologist that first diagnosed me and he told them that I have a certain type of tumor called a diffuse tumor and no matter how many times they go in and remove more tumor they will eventually end up removing the entire gland. My doctors, whom are top rated in Arizona and the United states told me that I could wait up to two years to have the gland removed but eventually it will have to come out.They wanted me to wait mostly so that I could bear my own children but there are so many children out there that have been abandoned by their parents that I've opted for adoption. I opted to have it sooner rather than later also because my heart is already borderline enlarged due to the acromegaly and I don't want to have any further complications that would shorten my life. I'm just looking to talk to people who have had similar experiences to mine since I feel quite alone in this right now. Thank you.