I am preparing to undergo Hemorrhoidectomy/Fissurotomy surgery in the next month. After reading many posts, I am now absolutely terrified. Please, if you have positive, success stories, post them to give those of us who are about to 'go under the knife' a little more hope and reassurance. Out of curiosity, has anyone been operated on by Dr. Prodger from Burlington, On? If so, I would be interested in hearing about your experience.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi Hopeful,
Well certainly I'm sure none of us here posting our experiences are trying to scare anyone or prevent them from having this surgery. Its just a very painful surgery and recovery and we are not sugar coating it... It also depends on what type of hemorrhoids you have. Do you have internal or external? Do you know if they will be cut out or banded? If its necessary for you to have this surgery and your doctor thinks it would be best for you, then by all means you should have it. You will be recovering for a few weeks, so just don't expect to be up and doing all of your normal activities within 2 weeks... Some people heal quicker than others too. I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I'm healing a little bit slower than some other people that had this done. I am on a antibiotic now 3x a day for 4 weeks and I feel this is helping me feel better. Also hopefully you will have someone to be there with you during your recovery process because you could use the extra help. I can say if I remain hemorrhoid free after all what I've been through I will be very happy I had this procedure performed! I suffered from them for over 10 years and I had a large internal and some external cut out with my surgery. Please keep us all updated... Don't let our experiences scare you out of your surgery... Everyone heals differently... Just keep those pain meds, stool softners and lots of water near by.... Take care of yourself!

I am the same feeling and that is why I started posting. You can go back and read my story. I am also 4 weeks out and was able to go back to work at 2 but I dont do heavy lifting.

You need at least 2-4 weeks off to heal. It is surgery but I am very happy I did it. Read my post called 4 weeks. Someone asked me what I did to prepare and I typed it all out.

Any other questions, ask..there are a few of us that are here going through it right now...

Hello hopeful.

Unfortunately, the proof is in the pudding with this surgery. Mine was an emergency situation, so I didn't have much of a choice...but one thing I would ask you is, do you have internal, external or both?

If you only have internal, I would seek out hemorrhoidlysis procedures if you can. Does your doc do this?

Hemorrhoidectomy is very expensive and there are other procedures that are less expensive and also less invasive, less pain and less recovery. Make sure you know all the options. If you have external hemi's, hemorrhoidlysis may not be an option until after your external hemi's are taken care of.

I am 2 weeks and a few days post surgery. I have good and bad days still. I had extreme pain after a bm for the first week or so and now my pain has shifted to being mostly during a bm and a lot of soreness afterwards. I still don't feel like myself at all.... slow and steady I guess.

Anyway, glad you found this website BEFORE surgery... I found it after surgery. Be thankful that you have lots of resources and lot of information here.

Good luck.