I live in Connecticut and am one of the first people to get the THD procedure in our area.  Yes, it's been available in Europe for years and in other parts of the U.S. for a couple of years. But it is new here. That made it scary as the only surgeon who has done the procedure has only done 5 of them before me.  

Some background. I am 52 years old. I was a competitive cyclist in my 20s and 30s and had hemorrhoids then but with some ointment and rest they would settle. When I turned about 45 it would take longer and longer for them to settle--sometimes 5-6 weeks but would go away for a couple of years. Last June I got diverticulitis and was treated with two strong antibiotics for several weeks. This gave me horrible diarrhea. The hemmie pain was unbearable and they would not settle. I tried everything--ointments, steroid suppositories, nothing worked.  They were painful every day and would inflame terribly after a good meal, spicy food, red wine. I couldn't ride my bike, run or play with my kids. My doctor referred me to a colorectal surgeon and he diagnosed me at stage 3-4 and had done his first THD with very positive results just 2 days before. Needless to say I was skeptical but scheduled the surgery.  Sadly it is general anesthesia, done outpatient at the local hospital and had all the lousy prep and anxiety that goes with it. I was feeling good a couple of days before until I had to do the 2 enemas to clean me out 2 hours before surgery. The hemmie pain was excruciating and I realized once again exactly why I was getting the surgery. 

I was prepped, wheeled in and came out an hour and a half later.  My hemmies were much worse than diagnosed. The dr ligated 6 arteries that feeds the vein, tying them off with a needle and threat and guided accurately by doppler (ultrasound) probe. I also had a badly prolapsed rectum which he sutured and pulled up--my wife called it an internal tummy tuck.  Immediately after the surgery I woke up and noticed a difference. I was uncomfortable but could tell I had no dangling hemorrhoids. My rectum felt swollen but newly positioned. I was given a bottle of percosets, told to take laxatives and colace regularly and sent home. I was fine that night, actually felt pretty good. The next morning I needed the percosets and for the whole day was in a good deal of pain needing 2 every 6 hours. Mind you the pain was NOT as bad as the hemmie pain from last June. It was an internal ache. The secret I found is laying on ones stomach NOT sitting where the blood pools at the surgery location.  I could lay on the coach on my stomach and watch movies and the percosets eliminated the pain. Day 3, I expected to wake up when the evening pills wore off but ended up sleeping through the pill-taking time! I woke up and just had some soreness. I went down to 1 percoset and did the same regimen--laid around on my stomach and took laxatives and colace.  Through day 3, I only had liquids and some minor solids in my soup. Day 4 I went to straight tylenol at normal food and still laid around, not pushing it. No pain just some faint soreness, My only problem was I hadn't had that first bowel movement despite all the laxatives I was taking. Since anesthesia shuts the bowels down and they were empty going into surgery I was told that day didnt count. Having mostly liquids on Day 2 and 3 added little to the bowel so it had nothing to do and the laxatives I was taking (metamucil and colace won't force you to go--like with heavy diarrhea--if you can't go you won't). Day 4, I could feel things working, started getting gas again and food moving through. Bowel movement did come on day 5 and took some effort--lots of concentration, sitz baths and patience. And yes it hurt. Luckily it was soft so the pain passed in 15 minutes--unlike with hemmies.  By week 2 everything had subsided.  One month out I'm like a new person. Energetic. Not always worried about each food I eat, each bowel movement I have. I have NO hemmies any longer and my rectum feels like that of a 20 year old. I'm comfortable on my bike. 

My suggestion to anyone thinking about THD, get it done. The procedure is no where near as bad as stage 3 or 4 hemmies!!!! You are used to the pain already so a few days inconvenience will mean years of healthy activity!!!! Like I said, my pain was way down on day3 and nearly gone on day 4 except for the BM.  Laxatives and colace are key as the anesthesia and pain killers bind you up. You cannot do enough of them!  Do that and you'll be fine!    

I just had this surgery on 2/22/2012.  I have been in and out of the ER with the pain from HELL. I have taken the medication they have told me to take. Using the restroom is a killer. Just to pee takes everything out of me. I have had to go to the ER for them to put a tub in to take all the pee from me. The large amount they took out kept me in the hospital for 2 or more days.
It's like learning to walk all over again.
I just wish the bleeding would stop and the pain.
I can't use the restroom with out bleeding. and pushing to pee..It hurts so much. If you can't tell by now. I am not someone who likes PAIN.

Thanks for sharing with us. I pray the rest of everyone else doesn't have have the same problems I have had.

Bless you

Hello, I had THD surgery 3 weeks ago for large prolapsing internal hemmies. I was lucky as I had no pain afterwards, just some discomfort from the internal swelling. However,  I am still having the hemmies prolpase. They're smaller than before the op, but still big as they were VERY big before the op! Has anyone else experienced prolasping post-op and how long did it take for things to shivel and retract? Please help as I feel like this has failed and i'm back to square one.

Facing a recurrence in 3 weeks is quite a major problem. Have you been constipating or sitting down (that includes cycling!) for prolonged periods? Either way, you'll have to change your lifestyle habits, and try to apply some topical astringents like witch hazel cream and see if it works out for you.

Definitely not constipated and no prolonged sitting. And I'm waaaayyyy past topical stringent. I had a very severe case and looks like I'll need a second, more aggressive surgery to lift things higher to hold them in place. On the plus side, I hardly have any pain now and things are smaller than they were pre-op, I just want to be rid of them totally. My case is similar to another sufferer called noods on another thread who is now doing really well after a second surgery. I'm seeing my surgeon in a week, so will find out more then.

Just to add that mine were the result if pregnancy and childbirth, not lifestyle. Diet, bms, activity etc all good.

where in CT? i need it done now.

i need it asap. here in CT?

Hi len... Please.. What is the doctors name that helped you? I can't afford to go to a bad surgeon. I know this method IF done correctly is great, but done poorly is a nightmare for the rest of your life

I am in Connecticut too...who was your surgeon? is he still doing the THD procedure? What about residual pain / discomfort? DId you wake up to take the 2 percosets?