Hi! I got the clue for THD from Sameboat on this forum. Thanks so much!
I had this done three weeks ago and I am just like new!!!!!!
I had stage 3 - 4 hems and was basically unable to stand up for more than 10 minutes without prolapse. Of course I had lots of blood with every BM - but that had been going on for years. The prolapse was the last straw. I lived that way for 5 months. I am used to being a very active person - so it was killing me to be an invalid. My primary care physician would not refer me to anyone but the clinic surgeon who would consider no other treatment than stapling. I didn't like the idea of removing a band of intestine and muscle above the hems and the fact that there are many instances of recurrence and serious complications with stapling.

I was able to locate a sugeon who does THD 4 hours from my home. I did the surgery at an outpatient clinic and was back at the hotel in 4 hours. I took Tylenol or Vicodin for 4 days (never took a full dose) and could eat and be active as usual. There was no pre-surgery clean out. It all could not have been easier and the best part is I am now normal!!! I have to keep reminding myself that I can now squat to garden and use the bathroom without always checking to see how much blood is in the toilet! That is all history!

Check it out you guys. I was so scared after reading everyone's experiences and this seemed like such a common sense and non-invasive procedure. All they do it suture the arteries that lead to the hems - and those babies are gone! They kind of tie up the prolapsing ones and they just die and slough off. There are no records of serious complications.

I did pay out of pocket, though. I think someday the insurance companies will recognize this procedure and pay for it. It is new in the US. It has been done for over 10 years in Europe, Asia and elsewhere...

I could not be happier!

I had THD one week ago today. I was researching side effects because I was pooping tonight and thought that I was merely farting when in fact I was blasting blood. This was what happened when I had RBL 2 months ago and was unaware that the hems would slough off as if they had been banded.

I had the THD because of complications from RBL from back in May. I had 12-15 internal hems that the dr. was going to ligate 3 at a time. AFter the first procedure, I had a 3 hour priapism, followed by urinary retention requiring two trips to the ER for catheterization. Then my internal sphincter went into spasm and I could not poop for about days. I eventually got a nasty fissure from the pressure and inability to have a normal BM. I researched the web and found this site with Sameboat's suggestion to look into THD. I asked the Dr. who did my RBL if he ever heard of it and it turns out that the procedure is done at the same hospital. I have a follow up on Aug. 14 and am hoping that what happened tonight is normal. I am tired of complications.

How have you been after your THD Surgery?

I had three instances of blood after surgery. The surgeon said that it was when the sutures are sloughing and could happen up to two months after surgery. The surgeon was right for me so far - the last time I had any blood was about that time. It has now been almost 6 months.
I was put on stool softeners before surgery and through two months. I also took Metamucil and Miralax and ate a very high fiber diet - 6 prunes am and pm and mostly all fruit or vegetables for other meals. I weaned off the stool softeners and Miralax two months after surgery. I stay on Metamucil and a very high fiber diet - wish I'd done that long ago - maybe I'd have avoided getting hems.
Sounds like you had a lot of straining post-surgery - I imagine that could have been the cause of the fissures, etc.

I will be getting a final checkup by the surgeon at 6 months when it is expected to be fully healed - so until that time, I would imagine that one could see or feel the indications of less then healed intestine and it would be "normal". Hang in there. I think it will get a lot better soon. I know exactly what you mean about being tired of it all.

I just re-read your post. Sorry - I thought your complications were from the THD surgery.
The blood is normal, but it shouldn't be a huge, huge amount. Just be careful to eat high fiber foods and baby that intestine!
Good luck!

I've been trying to read up in the THD surgery but can't seem to find much.
Can you let me know what happens to the sutures ? Aren't they are suppose to be dissovable ?
So when the cut of the vein, won't the vein just grow back, and also what happens to the prolapsed wall. All that extra skin what happens to it. Sorry about the questions but when i first read you post it was like a godsend thinking that i won't have to go through that shocking PPH surgery and this could be a far better option or an option between getting bandings and the PPH.

Cheers

Craig.

Hi Craig2:
I did a lot of research on THD before I did it. I also researched the surgeon and had a list of questions including asking how many she had done. I will link to some articles on it tomorrow when my kid is not around talking to me while I'm on the computer. It has other names - that may be why you're having trouble locating articles.

The sutures are "absorbable" and the tissue (the hems) that they have tied off sloughs with the sutures. I could see it. It is kinda gross, but it looks whitish and "tissue-y" and you can see the suture strands in the toilet, too.

According to the papers I read, the procedure is relatively new (I think about 10 years or so) and so far they haven't seen the hemorrhoidal blood vessels return or regrow. But they aren't sure whether it will eventually happen or not.

The prolasped wall is kind of tied up against the wall and it too sloughs and then scars to the wall.

I was excited, too, when I read about it. And it IS a miracle for me. Those stupid hems were GONE from the moment I walked out of out-patient! Really. On December 16th it will be 6 months. I can stand up, I can squat, I can do everything a normal person can do. I still can't really believe it. If they came back I would do it again - and I am not type to run in to the doctor all the time - I stay away from them - and don't really trust them. I've never had surgery before and did not do it lightly. But I was totally handicapped. I couldn't stand up for even 10 minutes....

Hey thanks for you reply, :-D
I'm glad it going so well but i don't think i'm quite there yet i think i'll back for one more banding, only because i think i know what was causing mine (cycling about 60km a day) so i think i'll have to give up my favorite sport :'( :'(. On saying that i sure as hell do not want the PPH that's for sure.

Cheers

Craig.

Hi Craig2!
I'm glad that you are not too bad off. There is certainly no rush and in fact waiting, in my opinion, is good because I think this procedure will increase in popularity over time.
It is great that you are so fit. Sad you need to stop cycling, but maybe a break will improve things and you can get back to it eventually. I think my profession did it to me - LOTS of heavy lifting.

An alternative name to this procedure is Doppler-guided hemorrhoidal artery ligation or DG-HAL.

Some abstracts at: See also the panel on the right on that page called "Related Articles" for more abstracts.

You may also be interested in trying supplements:

Best wishes for your quick recovery.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Thanks for all that info that's just fantastic. :-D :-D

Cheers

Craig.

Craig2 wrote:

Thanks for all that info that's just fantastic. :D :D

Cheers

Craig.

Have you decided if you're going to be going through with the surgery or not? Are you still considering it or are you actually going to be doing something different?

My current surgen doesn't do the THD so i'm goping to find a surgen that will and have a talk to him/her to see if another banding might fix it or go straight for the THD/DG-HAL Surgery. So i'll keep you posted as what and when it will happen.

Craig2 wrote:

I think that sounds like a good move! Keep me posted on what happens. I read a bit about your situation but what is it specifically again? How many hemorrhoids do you have and how long ago did you have surgery done before?

I'm not to sure how many I have. I know I have one that pokes out every now and again and that's the problem all of mine are internal and i also have prolapsed walls, which is why i'm seriously looking at the DG-Hal surgery and nothing else at this stage. When I went in for colonoscopy at the begging of the year I had 3 removed and then another 1 removed 3 months later. So that's my story so far no where near as bad as some people on here. I doin't know how some people can be waylaid for so long. I cna only afford to be down for a couple of days at most this is why i think the DG-HAL surgery would be the most effective for me.

I just turned 40 and have a job where I sit all day.. Bad Diet and too much alchohol over the years have definitely played a role in my hems.
I have had hems for about two years and recently I start to notice that they pop out when going and return back in... I stopped drinking alcholhol and started drinking lots of water about 3 months ago.. Even though I had introduced a lot of High fiber into my diet without alot of water to go with it was making it worse.. What's weird is that the bathroom visits don't hurt as much but all the other annoying symptoms are still there.. Even though my hems have sort of stableized I still find life pretty much the same.. I think I am only at stage 2... My doctor didn't really know much about THD when I asked him.. He basically said that hems need to be hanging to the floor before I should consider surgery..

I have found a thd surgeon 95 miles away and consider making the trip.
So my question is how bad do they really have to be before I consider surgery.
I think I have slowed down the hems from getting worse.. but they still are difficult to live with..

Thanks for all the info so far..