End Stage Liver Failure, AFIB, Peripheral Neuropathy, Brain Damage (personality change/memory)September 2011 (3 photos)PublicFriendsFriends except AcquaintancesOnly MeCustomClose FriendsTiburon AreaSee all lists...FamilyBelieve FoundationCreative ArtistUniversity of WyomingDBMAcquaintancesGo BackDate of Injury discovered: 9/23/11 Date started on Cymbalta: March of 2010, now on 60 mg/dayMISSION: Sue and prevail against Dr. Ritt and Dr. McFadden who missed my liver dx and cleared me for both blood thinners and Cymbalta. Also sue for pain and suffering for not being able to get off the drug without risk of severe liver injury or a bleed out death due to seizure and internal bleeding. DR. RITT DIDN’T DO A CT SCAN OR AN MRI. Also, Cymbalta is an aggravator/cause of tachacardia (my AFIB). I have persistent paroxysmal AFIB that has been treated with cardioversions and now the doctors are planning another. Because I am on blood thinners and my liver is compromised, I cannot undergo an ablation at this time. Dr. Ritt called me an “obese drunk” and said the prognosis for people like me is horrible (he assumed that he knew all about me). I am taking a lot of abuse in this process from the assumptions made by those treating me in both San Diego and Marin County/San Francisco. If I suggest it’s the Cymbalta that did this, but they just dismiss me as if I insulted them. I am sick of the arrogance of some of my doctors, including the drug companies, who pump these drugs out without a thorough review of the consequences. I feel like I am someone who can speak for possibly thousands of people who’ve had serious injury because of the nature of both the liver and the brain. It’s hard to know diagnostically what’s happening in either, despite our modern medicine. It seems convenient for drug companies to NOT have outstanding brain or liver diagnostics for early detection of liver and brain damage problems and the effects of medication. HISTORY: Timeline by month:1/10 - Saw Dr. Broomberg in La Jolla who dx acites (end stage liver injury symptom). I stopped alcohol. 2/10 - Saw Dr. Ritt (GI) La Jolla Scripps who diagnosed liver injury and possible hepatitis.3/10 - saw Dr. McFadden who put me on Cymbalta for depression (due to stopping alcohol). Discussed my liver issues and alcohol use. Referred by Dr. Ritt.5/10 - saw Dr. Lucks (cardiologist) who dx'd AFIB and rx'd warfarin/Coumadin to prevent stroke. Did a cardioversion with Dr. Lucks that didn’t hold. Two more cardioversions were done with Dr. Porter, an Electrophysiologist.7/10 - dx'd with diabetes with an A1c of 7.1. Dr. Einhorn prescribed metformin and byetta. Diabetes is a symptom of end stage liver failure.1/11 - Liz and I moved to Bay Area. Established relationship with Dr. Nagar as primary care. She continued to have all me on SD prescriptions filled until I found new docs.9/23/11 - Hospitalized due to abdominal pain and dark stool. 3 days in hospital and dx'd liver failure.Facts:2005 Lilly/FDA warned that liver symptom patients should not be given Cymbalta due to liver idiopathic liver failure in patients post market.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dear+doctor+eli+lilly&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drug-injury.com%2Fdruginjurycom%2F2005%2F10%2Fcymbalta_duloxe.html&ei=AH9lT_HbBoSRiQKY3IiiDw&usg=AFQjCNEZN2ts9dSyPkl2g9DW-LPR7cgGzAhttp://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20051017/fda-broadens-liver-warning-for-cymbaltahttp://www.medicinenet.com/duloxetine/page2.htm2009 Lilly/Patients began to complain to FDA about severe w/d symptoms in getting off the drug.http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/PsychopharmacologicDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM172866.pdf• Video related to coming off antidepressants.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_-4QhO0hjY&feature=related • Here are two more videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCs9aYtlV5Q&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=S4k77lSyPfc• ABC reports: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSUAsdBgh70&feature=related2010: Dr. Ritt who missed my liver disease severity (ESLD cirrhosis) dx and cleared me for both blood thinners and Cymbalta. He performed an upper GI endoscopy to be sure I had no varicies and cleared me for blood thinners. Dr. failed to do any kind of liver imaging tests to confirm his physical exam and blood tests. He told me to stop drinking and to see him if I had any problems. He referred me to Dr. McFadden for help for depression and to discuss my alcohol usage. He failed to follow the standards of care for someone presenting with acites. I would have admitted me to the hospital. Maybe its because he knew I had Cobra insurance at the time…who knows.9/2011: After dx, Marin county doctors stopped all meds except Cymbalta, Coumadin, Januvia, and Metropolol. I asked why they left me on the Cymbalta after I saw that it could cause liver failure on the internet. I was told that the withdrawal symptoms could be too severe for me and I should be hospitalized and monitored to come off the drug to avoid possibility of seizure and bleed-out. 3/2012: I have now been referred to Dr. Mark Schiller, UCSF faculty psychiatrist, who will supervise my withdrawal from Cymbalta beginning the next week or two. I am also seeing Dr. Francis Yao of UCSF to get a 2nd opinion on my liver failure and the etiology of it. My liver enzymes were never elevated which is probably why no doctor ever mentioned anything about liver disease. I didn’t experience any pain or symptoms commonly mentioned as signs of liver failure until my diagnosis of acites in January 2010. I have applied for SSI and state disability and I am working with a social worker on end of life options. Hopefully, I will be a good candidate for transplant. EMOTIONAL DEVASTATION: At this point I am 100% disabled and my prognosis is tragic. Development of fluid retention in the setting of cirrhosis is an important landmark in the natural history of chronic liver disease: approximately 15% of patients with ascites succumb in 1 year and 44% succumb in 5 years. Many patients are referred for liver transplantation after development of ascites. I have a 20 year old daughter in college, a wife that is depressed and is feeling the financial pressure of our situation. My mother and brother and the rest of the family is crushed and disappointed. I don’t know how I will make this up to them. And if I have a long expensive prolonged death, what will it do to family and finances…my wife Liz has to live on.

By the way...I no longer use Cannabis for my pain...found a better way...BRIAN HUGH WAGNER on facebook.

I haven't read your whole post and sorry you're having such a hard time. If a doctor called me an obese drunk I'd fire him on the spot, right after I kicked his ***. I've taken over 70 psych meds in hundreds of combinations for 30 years. No brain, liver, kidney or any other lasting damage.
I read extensively about what I'm taking and I always keep one best friend, the pharmacist. A doc will give you a script and say you may be drowsy for a few days. The insert the pharmacist give you should be read and you should always do a consultation if you still take meds, psych or not.
All of medicine is risk/benefit. Heart transplants are almost routine these days...or you might die. Not sure if you drink on meds but it's like putting out a fire with one hand and pouring gas with the other.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Anti-psychiatry is rampant these days. I say fine, stop the meds and eat herbs and good luck. I wouldn't be alive today without psychiatry. That doesn't mean I like it. I do hate the drug companies but not the scientist working on solutions.
Again I didn't read your whole post but I wish you well. Take a look at a partial list of side effects this drug has...

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea; stomach pain or upset.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ibuprofen:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black, tarry stools; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; mental or mood changes; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent stomach pain or nausea; severe vomiting; shortness of breath; stiff neck; sudden or unexplained weight gain; swelling of hands, legs, or feet; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual joint or muscle pain; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or speech changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

Can you guess? I couldn't either. * Ibuprofen.* Risk/benefit
Peace