New Reply New Topic Followed by 64 people

what is the effects of removal of the thyroid ?

If you have to remove the thyroid, your surgeon will know whether to remove all or only a part of the gland. If the nodule becomes cancerous, the thyroidectomy should be completely done. After this, you will have to take thyroxine tablets every day so that you replace the hormone that is produced by thyroid. If only half of the thyroid gland is removed, after the surgery it is usually not necessary to take thyroxine.
Although very rare, some possible risks of thyroid surgery are nerve injuries, injuring para-thyroid glands for supplying the body with calcium, bleeding and pain, which can’t be avoided after surgery. You can have some troubles swallowing and neck moving.
I’ve had problems with my thyroid gland for a few years now, and I guess I will have to go to the surgery, I have this Hashimoto post partum thyroiditis since I have gave birth, I really have to do something about it, it is starting driving me crazy! What about you? Are you just curious about what are the effects of removing the thyroid or you have problems with it as well?

derrickM. wrote:

There are many side effects to having a Total or partial Thyroidectomy. I gave birth to my son three weeks before I had a total done and my life hasn't been the same ever since. There are good days and there are bad days. Keeping up on the Medication levels is critical. Hairloss is the norm, mood swings, weight gain (vast amounts), depression at times, headaches the gamit goes on and on. Keep in tune with your body. It will tell you when something's not well in the kingdom. If your Doc. tell's you that your TSH levels are in the "norm" and you still feel yuck fooie, request that you get your Free T3's and T4's drawn up and go from there. If you don't like the Doc, go to another one. Always ask for a copy of your lab report so you can refer back to them if need be. If you have a Total done, you will be Hypothyroid and you will feel real sluggish when your levels aren't right. The meds you will be put on are for a life time. What ever you do, don't let a Doc. be the ruler over the final out come when it comes to you and your meds.

I appear healthier than 90 % of women my age. Gave birth to 2 Healthy full term baby Boys now ages 23 and 25. I had Breast Cancer 6 years ago, and a Spinal Meningioma 10 years ago. I often wonder now, how would I have felt had I never had cancer ? I mean... is it different ?

It has been awhile since your post. Did you have the surgery?
I am now facing the same and am a little concern based on feedback about the after effects...pain, dizziness, weight gain that I have heard from others.
If you had the surgery, how long did it take you to feel normal again?

I got mine done 10/26/07. Almost a month. I got a partial, and also had a tumor removed at the same time.

I am in so much pain, its not even funny. I long ago ran out of my percocets. Im so tired all the time. I feel like i could sleep for days.

I too didnt get the problems with my thyroid until i gave birth to my 5th child. Thats when they found the lump in my throat.

I am very interested to hear from others who have had the surgery and what its like after. I have one question, when will these stitches come out? Its been almost a month and the plastic is hanging out my neck like a tag almost and the doc said i cant cut it. Its driving me crazy.

**edited by moderator**

Hi.

I removed my all thyroid back in November and I still feel awful. They damaged one of the parathyroids (they control the calcium level), I had low calcium for a while. I'm still adjusting to the medication, I've been done all kind of tests and blood work and, although everything is fine, I feel like I'm dying: depression, mood swings, weakness, tiredness, body aches, tingling in my hands and I could go on and on. Avoid if you can the total removal

I had my thyroid removed in Aug. 08 and I am feeling the same way. I have depression, mood swings it is like a bad case of pms but I am post menapause. I am only 47 and I don't know what to do. I have talked to my doctor and she has tried several meds but they are not working. Any suggestions out there?

hi there ,im 28 n ive got underactive thyroid my kneck is all swallen its across my windpipe now ,im in the process of going to the hospital and will be geting it removed anyone got any advice to help me through it it would be much helped thanks

my mother has had a total thyroid removal. its been about a month and she is still feeling very dizzy and weak. to make matters worse she has to take thyroxine and calcium tablets anlong with the iron supplements she normally takes as she is aneamic.

I just had a full thyroid removal on 4/24/08. I had 9 nodules and 4 of them were large, none were cancer. I have been on thyroid medication since 1985 (my sister and I found out the same week we had thyroid problems). So this was a big surprise to me. I feel 100% better than I did before the surgery. I am still tired, but not as exhausted as I was before surgery. I have lost weight and my appetite has gone down a lot. I still have the mood swing, but not as intense as before. I am 49 and pre-menopausal. I had minimal pain and did not have to take pain pills after the surgery. I still sound like I am in puberty as my voice cracks a lot. But that is getting better with time. Overall I am pleased with my surgery it really helped me.

hi there!
i ve recently given birth to my first child. she is 3 months old after her birth my family phsician detected swelling in my throat got blood test done nothing was there then got ultra sound done. the result was tht i had lumps in my thyroid which are suspicious.now i am due for fine needle biopsy test. i am really scared wht i ve read and heard is tht with thyroid problem u cannt ve babies is it true. i am only 23 and i wish to ve many kids plz can someone help me and tell me is there any case tht got her thyroid removed and had children later on??? plz help me.

Okay - calm down - even if you have your thyroid removed (worse case scenario) you'll be put on thyroid medication to replace the hormones you'll lose having it removed. More than likely you've got little growths on your thyroid possibly because it is underactive. Are you tired - having a hard time losing weight?? Do you have dry skin? Is your hair possibly coarser than before? You can also get cold easily.

Don't worry too much about this - I had a little growth on mine and they started me on more thyroid medication and it shrunk.

You could also possibly be on the other end of the spectrum where you are producing too much - your symptoms would be the opposite - you'de be warmer than usual - little appetite - losing weight possibly - eyes hurt - you have alot of energy and then crash mid day. If that is the case - then they have to find a way to correct it - could be by doing the radioactive iodine and killing part of your thyroid or remove it.

Either way - you can still have kids - that will never be an issue. Don't stress over this.

I'm on thyroid meds - have two kids - and am doing fine.

Hang in there!!

HI everyone. Just wanted to say that I too have the symptoms that the majority of you have shared here. I began having problems with my thyroid around 1997. I developed a nodule at that time, which began to grow. None of the medication helped shrink this, it just kept growing and eventually I had two. I gave birth to my son Jan 06, six weeks later had to have a complete thyroidectomy because the nodules began to effect my voice and I had trouble swallowing and breathing.

I still have the same symptoms I did in early march 06. Sluggishness, pain, short temper...ect. I was wondering though if any of you other women out there have had severe problems with menstruation? I will go months without one then have a doosy. I was even put in the hospital at one point because they thought I was hemorrhaging. Anyone have any similar problems, or should I be looking at another cause?

I can say that my symptoms still persist now, even after upping my medication many times. I understand where each and every one of you are coming from and wish you all the best.

Oh and another note to the lady who just had the baby three months ago. I wouldn't consider the radiation therapy because I was told I couldn't be around my son for a few days, having a six week old baby and not being able to be with him wasn't an option for me. Discuss every option thoroughly with your doc before you decide! Good luck and congrats on the baby!

Hi everyone,
I am having a total thyroidectomy on July 4th. I am not currently on any meds as my thyroid is functioning normally. I have several nodules on both sides of my thyroid and my neck is huge. I have had these nodules since I was a teen. I am not worried about the surgery itself but after reading some of the posts I am really nervous of the after effects.