I hope somebody can help me!

Every night for the last two years, I have suffered with a stuffy respiratory system. Thick white saliva/mucus gets stuck in my respiratory track, I either have to swallow or it lands up in my mouth which I have to spit out. It's excessive! It is every day and worse at night that I go through this without fail. Sometimes I battle to fall asleep because I battle to breath. Deep down in my nose is blocked and I cannot blow it out either. The saliva or mucus is white, foamy and sticky. I have been taking ACC200, but this does'nt seem to help very much. Does anybody have any idea how I can get rid of this problem.

ps. My sister notices that my face is a bit swollen and I have red spots (not blemishes) on my cheeks.

The red spots could be from coughing or blowing your nose hard, it breaks the capillaries. I work for a cough specialist this sounds like what we see every day, even if you're not habitually coughing, we deal with the mucous.

This was an old question but what I think of is a bad alkaline/acid balance. I haven't had it that badly but I have noticed a type of foamy saliva and I think it's because of too much acid. What I would recommend to anyone that is reading this is to search online and look at alkaline and acidic foods. I would focus on aklaline foods, to insure you are not too acidic. When that balance is off, it can lead to sickness. I was drinking abit of grapefruit juice daily. I ran out for a few days and that is when I noticed the foamy type saliva more. Grapefruit juice is very good for you. It's acidic but I read when it hits the intestinal track it becomes alkaline. One of my friends ran into a nutritionist that works in the military. He said it's one of the best things you can use daily. 

Bela wrote:

I hope somebody can help me!

...saw this and wondered if you still suffer from this disorder and I believe it is diet related. It is very important to understand that what you eat contributes to the sickness, disease or illness you suffer from. You may have a fungus in your gut or some other bacteria wreaking havoc on your system. Hopefully, you are not on tons of medications that DO NOT WORK and have figured out how to cure yourself, cause doctors today just are not capable.

How do you know it can be a yeast overgrowth. I have a thick white saliva with white tongue and a whole bunch of other symptoms but Im not sure what I have. Can fungus cause a thick white saliva, I also had an endoscopy that showed that the esophagus had foamy stuff my saliva covering it. It so scary not knwing what all this is.

Idk if your still feeling this symptom or not but did it start happening when you moved to a new home I moved into my house in November and I've been noticing this along with a taste that tasted like I was sucking a coke can flavored lollipop, as well as nausia and frequent vomiting, as well as, headaches, confusion, weight loss (20+ lbs), and dizzyness we have ruled out anything with the natural gas in the home, and the city is coming to check for mold, Asbestosis, and other dangerous home allergens. Maybe you will find this use full. Hope u get to feeling better...

I am taking radiation for lung cancer. Try much ex fast max liquid. It will last 8 hours and help u sleep

I have had this problem over a number oif years, it makes me cough and more comes until I have several tissues full of it. Night seems worse but it also happens during the day. I was told by a specialist to use a sea salt spray Sterimar which I use twice a day. I have then to go back to a wheat and dairy free diet which I was advised by a nutritienist years ago whe I started this also with a bad stomache. Those both were giving me a bad problem I hated the frothy sylava with the hawks and sometimes feeling I would choke on a mouthful a more coming up.
. I had got lax with the diet and have now started again as it has built up again. I have had 2 days without the symmptons.
Hope this helps
Barbara

I have exactly the same problem for 2,5 years... Have not found the reason yet - and not found anything that helps. Tonight I woke up and couldnt take a breath. It was so scaring for several seconds..

I only have this issue only when I am at work.  I am pretty sure it is due to the formaldhyde in the products used for remodeling.  I have worked in the building for seven years and only started having the issue, along with hairloss, dizziness, headaches, blurry vision, sinus inflamation and difficultly breathing since the remodeling was done.  I am adding this note to help anyone that may not realize new carpet or other remodel items might be causing this issue similar to the lady and the new house earlier in the thread.  

I had a similiar problem this year but more symptoms. My doctor thought I had MS because I was dizzy and falling, had foot drop, sinus issues, slow mentation, and a number of other things. Thankfully it wasn't MS. I started doing foot/leg exercises and slowly got my strength back and can wear heels again without falling down. But I was left with the sinus issues.

It always felt like there was mucus stuck in my throat, in my cheeks, and eyes, all the way back to my ears. I was coughing up weird stuff, food, lung junk, etc and would have crackles in my lungs that I couldn't cough up. I thought I was aspirating food or mucus into my lungs so I started to be very careful about what I ate and drank. Which turned into me not eating or drinking enough.

I finally caved and went to my ENT. I had a modified barrium swallow study done. The speech therapist said that it looked okay. But it was weird because as I'm swallowing a pill, I tell her I feel like it's stuck in my throat but nothing was there.

I remembered reading something about salivary gland massage where you rub the glands behind/under your ears and on your neck just under your chin. I had been doing that already but it didn't really help. I also remembered reading something that said that instead of coughing or clearing your throat that you should hum or make a "mi mi mi" sound and take a drink of water.

This whole time, I had been forcing myself to throw up because it was the only way the mucus would come out. And it was hard because I didn't have much of a gag reflex but sometimes would throw up lots of mucus.

After lots of doctors, some good, other's teling me it was all in my head. I put my nursing knowledge together and had an ah-ha moment one day after vomitting. I realized that when I vomitted was really the only time I could "feel" me throat. Like eating or drinking, I could tell that food or liquid was going down but not in a normal way. So I got into my car to drive to work and screamed really loud. My voice cracked. They I started singing really loudly. I can't sing well but generally I can at least carry a tune but my voice was just crackling and sounded nothing like my usual poor singing. Then the most amazing thing happened. Some of the mucus released on it's own. My head stopped hurting, my face didn't look puffy. It was amazing.

I haven't had a follow up with my ENT yet but I'm going to ask him about vocal cord paralysis/injury/atrophy. So for the last few days I've been very good about not doing whatever I was doing to try and get the mucus clear previously. The things I've found to help are 1) not clearing my throat or coughing, 2) working on relaxing my head/neck. I realized that I had been positioning myself in a forward position (at a computer, over the sink trying to get out the mucous, and just rigid in my body movements. 3) When I'm relaxing the muscles in my neck it seems to help the most and then combined with exercises to strengthen my vocal cords, I've been feeling much better. I haven't had to use my albuterol inhaler or nasal spray once. I haven't had crackles in my lungs.

In my case there was a situation that I think was to blame where I received daily trauma to my neck and throat region.  But any situation can damage your vocal cords... smoking, GERD, yelling loudly, trauma, sinus/neck surgery.  And as time went on and I did more movements with my mouth in order to try and relieve the mucus it became "a habit" though I prefer to call it muscle memory. 

So main things that help

1) relax your facial/mouth/neck muscles - tilt your head in all directions but don't strain.

2) for me, I clench my jaw so I get the greatest relief when I tilt my head slightly backwards and open my mouth as wide as I can and slowing tilt my head putting my ear towards one shoulder and then to the other shoulder.. all while holding my mouth open. Sometime combined with rubbing under my chin and below my ears.

3) Swallow and drink lots of water (cut out carbonated beverages and caffeiene). I found that while I still have a lot of mucus (allergies and probably mold in my home) that it's normal for it to go down your throat and if it comes free, I resist the urge to spit it out and drink water. When I do this my head stays clear.

4) Then I've been doing a lot of vocal exercises which you can google.

5) Remind myself I didn't learn these behaviors overnight and it's going to take time to correct. I find that if I get really into work or something and start tensing up, the problem returns until I take the time to relax my muscles.

Most importantly... see a doctor, or a few doctors.  Dry mouth, excessive mucous, and related issues can indicate many serious disorders, cancer, autoimmune, etc. but if you've seen doctors and they can't find anything it's time to start looking at the situation to determine if it is a "habit" or "all in your head."  I think of it like someone who is training for a physical event.. they put time and effort into working their bodies/muscles to prepare for the event and it changes their muscles. Basically I spent the summer working out my facial/neck muscles to perform actions that aren't normal. Coupled with not eating enough, and swallowing very carefully other muscles weren't getting enough work.

And who knows... while in the medical field I'm not a doctor and haven't shared my thoughts with him yet. But in the absence of a diagnosable medical issue, habit/muscle memory seems to be the most logical explaination to me.

I know this was long and rambling but hopefully it can help at least one person.

I have been going through the same thing for two years too! It's awful everywhere I go I have to bring tissue to spit it's embrassing!

Try DILUTED Hydrogen Peroxide swished in your mouth. DO NOT SWALLOW IT.

Where do I get the sea salt spray

I've had a problem with dry foamy mouth a few times over the last several months which is why I was looking on-line and found this blog. Mine comes on suddenly, while I'm awake, and have noticed the last couple times that when I take my Claritin for my allergies it goes away. Still don't know what causes it. I do also wake up choking sometimes and keep a glass of water by my bed as taking a drink stops it, but haven't paid attention to whether there is foaming.