Hello, folks. I have atrial fibrillation. My doctor says I have to turn my heart rhythm into a normal sinus rhythm. The method of choice is cardioversion. I hear there are some risks related to this method. I am thinking between having and not having cardioversion. What would you suggest me? I would appreciate your advices.

I don't know how serious your condition is. Atrial fibrillation is something you can live with, although it has its own risks. You will feel the symptoms. If these symptoms don't bother you, you can live without cardioversion. Symptoms would be: dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitations, especially during emotional stress or physical activity. Doctor will prescribe you antiarrhythmics to slow your heart rate, although atrial fibrillation will still exists. You will be on anticoagulants as well. Having cardioversion can make your heart rhythm normal. In that case you will also be on anticoagulants. You should consult about this with your doctor. I hope I've helped.

My 50 year old son had a stroke 31 days ago and now the cardiologist wants to do a cardioversion for his afib. Is there a safer way to treat the afib and not take risks?